Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cougar in Dallas County?

BugleMIn

Anybody got a straight scoop on the cougar sitings in Dallas county, Earlham area.

My friend says the County conservation staff got a cast of the paw prints.

Are they a protected species in Iowa or could a guy harvest one?

There have been so many confirmed sightings around the State and rumors about the DNR releasing 6, 10, 15, breading pairs. I'd like to know the real story behind the cats having a presents through out the state in such a short time. One of the stories I have heard told of a farmer in southern Iowa that shot one and in very short order the DNR showed up and asked for the cat. He said he did not know what they where talking about. At that point they told him the cat was being track by an imbedded tracking chip and that they knew it was in his barn. It also seems many of these cats appear to be attracted to towns and farm steads. Seems like they could have had some exposure to humans and then released. I would just like to know the whole story. If the DNR is involved I would think there would be allot to answer to. Pray to God, transplants or not, that they don't kill anybody. I hope the DNR has not created any liability for themselves.

ironwood

BuglMin

I very highly doubt that the DNR would have a secret cougar release program in the state, it's not like they're the CIA or anything.
smile.gif
People start all sorts of crazy rumors when they get all excited about something. I remember hearing a rumor back home where some guy swore up and down that the DNR was stocking whitetail deer into the Jackson & Dubuque county area! It turned out that some guy with brown carharts on and some cattle company sign on his truck was moving Guernsey calves (little brown doe looking cows I think) and the rumors flew!!!!

Also if you have a shot at a cougar I wouldn't take it if I were you, I don't know what the fine would be but I assure you that you would be missing your weapon and probably hunting privileges for quite some time here in Iowa.

This brings up an interesting question.....are there any restrictions against taking a Cougar?

Since fur bearers license doesn't cover Cougar I wouldn't think they would be any different than a Coyote....am I wrong?

I would assume that since cougars had been thought to be extrapated (extinct) from Iowa for so long, much like otters and bobcats, that they would be on the states endangered/threatened species list. If they were to grow to harvestable numbers like otters and bobcats have I would think a person could hunt them in future years. Personally I don't know how much I like the idea of 80-100 lb kittie kats running around and hanging around my hunting areas!!!
smile.gif

They are not on the endangered list here. They are considered "non game" animals. So if one came at you it is fair game if you feel in peril.

Reminds me of the Southpark hunters yelling out that the rabbits were coming at them before they would shoot!

Jamie

Muddy, I think that 80-100lbs may be a little on the light side. Although it is probably a good conservative number. But I know that adult male cougars that are healthy can weigh twice that. And I'm with you I don't know if I want to be sharing trees with them while deer hunting.
smile.gif

Guys,

I was out shed hunting a couple of weeks ago down here in southeast IA near Oskaloosa. I saw what looked like a cougar. I didn't believe what I was seeing a first, It had the long tail and leaped like a cat. First I thought it was an extremely large coyote. But I saw a coyote not 5 minutes later and that confirmed that this was definitely not a coyote. Most people Ive told think I'm crazy but I will tell you one thing I stood the hair up on the back of my neck! Just thought I would chime in anyone else had similar experience?

micah-

I figured that 80-100# would be light, but didn't want to look completely stupid in my post!

They're not on the endangered list eh? Well, I've accomplished my life goal of learning something new every day! I wonder if the boss would let me go home early since my brain wouldn't be able to absorb anymore new information?
smile.gif

Heres a link you guys might like to check out, its from a biologist whos been investigating these sightings and its got pics of the cougar that was run over near Harlan.Its got all the sightings listed in the state and which ones have been confirmed and which havent.It also tells where the cats may have come from if they werent someones pets that were turned lose.

heres the link http://homepages.dordt.edu/~mahaffy/mtlion/mtlionshort.htm

Yesterday's edition (3/28) of the Des Moines Register (IOWALife) section had a very interesting article and a detailed map showing the reporting sighting, confirmed tracks, and confirmed sightings of this animal in Iowa. The author, Mike Klein, reports that lawmakers considered a bill this winter to protect the mountain lion. He reports that it passed the Senate, but was recently killed in the House. I bow hunt Dallas Co. near Earlham and I know one thing for sure it's going to make walking to the treestand in the pitch dark a little more interesting. As Limbchicken always says "Go Late and Leave Early"!!!!! before it gets dark!

There's no doubt in my mind about the DNR. They did not release Cougars in Iowa. A program like that is public policy and every farmer in the state would have known about it through the Environmental Commission.

I have a friend who lives in Earlham and he told me about the Dallas County Conservation dept. getting a paw cast.

Might be a more natural way to rid the state of some deer, since hunters can't keep up with the population growth. Only problem is the high growth populated areas are urban!

Top Bottom