Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Covert Special Ops - Code Black - Wireless Trail Cam Review

I have a quetion if you don't use all your texts/pictures per mo. do you get to carry them over or if you buy a 1000 do you use them until they are gone?
Month to month - buy what you think you need and can always call in and upgrade package the way I understand it - but unfortunately no carry-over - at $5-10 a month its still pretty cheap because most plan to use that feature for only 3 or 4 months and turn that off to use as regular trail cam the rest of the time

I tried a sims card from AT&T in my Lil ACORN camera in Van Buren county and couldn"t grt recepition. I waisted money on a months worth of texting plan.

Mine works great everywhere I have tried it so far - great signal and that is with the standard antenna - I'd thought of getting the extended range antenna but so far haven't needed it.

gunrunr said:
Mine works great everywhere I have tried it so far - great signal and that is with the standard antenna - I'd thought of getting the extended range antenna but so far haven't needed it.

Don't...they don't work that well if at all. The actually say to put some tinfoil under the regular antenna and then screw it in...say it works better...

Sold the last one I had left.
Now I'm off to the ATA show in a few days to see who else has come out with anything similar or better. From talking with people there are a lot interested in this concept and could be a rapidly growing segment of trail cam sales.

Gladiator. Just wondering how the camera is working since you last posted? I am thinking about buying this camera. My question is, I use an imac, do you think I will be able to run the setup program on my imac ok? Once i download the program to my sd and then put it in my imac, will I be able to set everything up like it shows on the video? In the video they use a PC running windows. The new 2013 model is supposed be a little improved. Thanks for anything you can provide.

Hi Rebbie -

Camera is running and running great. Just got it out and the first pic was a little foggy from the temps running in the morning, but I get that with all my cams - here it is:

Velvet.jpg

I used an iMac for mine but it was a pain...it is not supposed to work with Macs so I downloaded "Wine" and "Winebottler" and followed their tutorials on YouTube - I would NOT recommend it.

Find someone who has a PC and use their computer - that will be much easier. Once it is setup, you won't need to do anything to it in the future. Follow the video and you're golden. Make sure it sends the photo first to your email/phone (I choose email because I get that on my phone and don't want it buzzing all day - plus I can open it at work and show the kids I'm teaching :D )

Hope this helps - sure are fun just to look at.

Also - when setting them up, I'm finding the closer you can get to the deer trail/path the better. If they are crossing 20 feet away, it will be tough to see them (however when you check your card, you'll have a very nice photo of them on the card - 8MB).

Lastly, you'll want to set it for 2 minute delay - if a deer trips the camera while it's trying to send, you won't get that photo. Mine takes about 1 min:30 sec to send. You can time it and see what you need your delay to be...

Caught some trespassers last year...pretty cool stuff.

Post here if you have any more ?'s. I'm not an expert, so I reckon you can learn from my mistakes! :way:

Hi Rebbie -

Camera is running and running great. Just got it out and the first pic was a little foggy from the temps running in the morning, but I get that with all my cams - here it is:

Velvet.jpg

I used an iMac for mine but it was a pain...it is not supposed to work with Macs so I downloaded "Wine" and "Winebottler" and followed their tutorials on YouTube - I would NOT recommend it.

Find someone who has a PC and use their computer - that will be much easier. Once it is setup, you won't need to do anything to it in the future. Follow the video and you're golden. Make sure it sends the photo first to your email/phone (I choose email because I get that on my phone and don't want it buzzing all day - plus I can open it at work and show the kids I'm teaching :D )

Hope this helps - sure are fun just to look at.

Also - when setting them up, I'm finding the closer you can get to the deer trail/path the better. If they are crossing 20 feet away, it will be tough to see them (however when you check your card, you'll have a very nice photo of them on the card - 8MB).

Lastly, you'll want to set it for 2 minute delay - if a deer trips the camera while it's trying to send, you won't get that photo. Mine takes about 1 min:30 sec to send. You can time it and see what you need your delay to be...

Caught some trespassers last year...pretty cool stuff.

Post here if you have any more ?'s. I'm not an expert, so I reckon you can learn from my mistakes! :way:

Thank you so much for taking the time out to post an update. Nice Photo! Yea I kind of figured that it might not work on the imac. It's no big deal, my two children both have windows pc laptops so I will use one of theirs to configure the sd card. Like you said once you set it up you really won't need to configure it again. One thing I was thinking is that I should configure 2 sd cards so that when I do finally check the camera, I can swap cards and bring the card that was in the camera home to view the photos. Are you in a bad area for sending photos, thus the reason it takes 1 and 30 seconds to send the photo? That is cool that you caught trespassers! Did they see the camera? Glad they did not take it. I would love to put this camera out on my friends farm in Iowa, but I checked the map and it shows just out of the coverage area. If the camera works out good for me, the next time I am out there I will bring the camera with me and see if I can get it to work out there. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again for posting and sharing info and photos!

Yes, I'm in a bad coverage area. I'm outside the area But if you have an open sky (relatively) it can possibly transmit. That's why it takes longer for me.

Not sure if need to format both cards. Once you put the card back in the camera it downloads what it needs to the camera and says "download successful". So you can swap out and you'll be fine.

Yes he caught them - they were out on horses for a stroll and he simply told them he didn't buy the land for other people to trespass. They didn't see the camera...pic might get sent before they have a chance to turn it off.

Any other ?'s send them our way. Boyd may want to weigh in too...

Thanks again for the info. Now I understand about the sd card with the UOV setup, once you put the sd card back in the camera it transfers all those setting to the camera, then I can just use whatever sd card I want. Does this sound right? One other question I have is that if I have multiple cell numbers for the camera to text to, will it take a 1 minute plus each time it sends a text to each number, or will it just send one picture text such as a group text, such as I would send one text message from my cell phone to multiple numbers? Say I have 3 numbers listed will it take a minute to send a photo to first number, then another minute to send a photo to the 2nd number, then another minute to send a photo to the 3rd number? I don't want to slow my camera down. Would you recommend multiple email addresses instead if I am going to send the photos out to many people? Maybe that is better that setting it up to send texts to many phone numbers? Maybe I am better off just forwarding the text and emails to whom I want to. Sorry for all the questions :grin: I am just trying to understand how to set it up best. My camera will be here on Thursday! I went to the AT&T store today and got my sim card and activated it! I even got a cheap phone so I can get the text message that is needed to set my account up online. I have the unlimited text plan at 19.99 a month. Thanks again for taking the time out to answer my questions.

Sorry, I can't tell you if it takes longer... If you have unlimited texts, put them all in. All I know is it takes the same time to send to two emails as it does one...

Best wishes... Looking forward to seeing pictures!

Sorry, I can't tell you if it takes longer... If you have unlimited texts, put them all in. All I know is it takes the same time to send to two emails as it does one...

Best wishes... Looking forward to seeing pictures!

Ok that makes sense. I was just concerned the more numbers you had or more emails you had that it would take longer to send the photo. My concern also is that why it is sending a photo, the delay time expires and the camera takes another photo. This might stop the first photo from being sent? I will probably call Covert direct and pick their brains! I also can call TrailCamPro since this is where I bought the camera from. They say the will help me out with any questions I have! I sure will have lots for them! lol! Thanks again Gladiator!

I got my camera today! Setup was very easy since I have been doing nothing but research and watching the setup video for the past week now! lol. I can add multiple phone numbers and emails and it does not slow anything down. It sent a test photo in 40.1 seconds. I walked in front of camera and timed how long it took before I receive the photo and it was exactly 50 seconds. Not to bad! I am getting full bars so I must be in a good area. I have the camera out in the woods behind my house now to see how it performs for a few days. So far i am thrilled! Can you tell! lol! I have waited for this moment for the past 10 years since I started using trail cameras! Hopefully things go well. If things go well than this camera belongs out in Iowa, sending photos back to me here in NY!

The camera has been working flawlessly now! I ran into a little problem after a week where the camera lost the connection with my local cell tower, even though it showed a strong signal. I kept getting a message saying "Login Failed" "Network Busy". I would then go a few miles down the road and the camera would work fine again. I kept trying it by my house and all of a sudden it started working again! I think AT&T was working on the tower or something. Anyway here are a few recent photos. I have camera setup under an Apple Tree behind my house. Remember this is NY not Iowa. I hope to deploy this camera out in Iowa someday!

Gladiator Thanks for all the help!

I just got one a couple weeks ago. I love it, it is so cool to be away from your hunting area and for pictures to pop up on your phone. I can see owning a couple more sometime soon.

Top Bottom