Crepinettes

Discussion in 'Food Corner' started by muddy, Nov 9, 2018 at 5:58 PM.

1. muddy

muddy Administrator

Been wanting to try these for awhile.

Chopped up 1 deer heart and 2 inner lions and seasoned very simply with sea salt, pepper, onion and garlic salt. Gotta get that MSG in. Then mixed it up and got the caul fat out flat and rolled 1 big handful up and trimmed it out. Did that 7 times for 7 rolls. I was going to put liver and kidney in but when I diced them I wanted to barf at their smell... I will eat liver and kidney when I'm desperate and starving, not before.

Then melted down some butter, added olive oil and a half onion to carmelized and fried at a medium heat on top of the stove. 2 minutes, flip. 2 minutes flip. Repeat for 16 minutes or until all surface areas are browned.

The outside caul was crispy, but i didn't care for its taste. The outer layer of meats were medium rare and the inside core was rare, like tar tar appetizers. It was FANTASTIC!!!

Next week I'm braising shanks.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4 Buck and goatman like this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. goatman

goatman I hunt days ending in Y

Looks good. I don't like deer fat but cooking with it would seem ok. Did you eat alone?

4. muddy

muddy Administrator

2 kids and I liked it. Wife not so much, she doesnt like texture of heart. Kid 3 has hurting teeth from braces expanders

5. bigbuckhunter88

bigbuckhunter88 PMA Member

Looks and sounds good Muddy. Looks like something out of Rinella's playbook.

6. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

Liver and Kidneys

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. muddy

muddy Administrator

It was, saw it on an episode awhile back but he used kidneys and liver in with the heart and loin. I was cutting up the kidney and liver and the smell was too overpowering and I tossed them. Glad I did. If I ever eat those I will he starving and desperate... not before.

Seriously though, I have heard that if you want to eat liver and kidney they're best off a younger deer, much more mild.

8. bigbuckhunter88

bigbuckhunter88 PMA Member

Yeah I'm tempted to try it if one of the kids or even adults in the gun group smack a fawn. I saw the episode also and it piqued my curiosity

9. muddy

muddy Administrator

It was really easy to do, the hardest part was getting the caul fat out without getting full of leaves. Next time I'd do it while still on in the deer, mine hit the ground and was gross. Took a lot of washing.

I wont try liver or kidney again until someone else prepares it for me and takes the first 2 bites to prove its ok

6x6 likes this.
  10. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC PMA Member

I can eat liver occasionally but after lots of skinning and deveining, too much work. Fried I in oil after dredging in flour, add onion toward the end of frying. Last beef liver, I deep fried outside on the grill to not stink up the house. Urine smell of kidney, can’t prepare, cook or eat that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddy likes this.