Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cuddelink

bkcrrtnps and hoovjara, what type of elevation changes do you have on your land and what elevation differences do you have in your daisy chained cams?

I have Missouri River backside bluff land(not as vertical as the front side) that I would like to use these on.

I greatly appreciate your shared experiences so far and thanks in advance for your replies.

What distances have you been transmitting from so far?

Mine are a little less as I don't have mine where they are piggy backing. The furthest camera I have from home camera is 1/3 mile. When I tested them at home I was easily able to get to 1 mile with piggy backing them.

I have seen camera to camera range anywhere from 1/3 to 1/4 mile and that is through river bottom and swamp woods. I have not tested the system across fields but expect I would get a mile in open field terrain. My property is hard woods that drop down off the hills into a river bottom swamp so there is definitely some elevation changes.

Last edited:
I also tested them at a buddies property that was more hilly and was still able to get good range. The best advice I can give is once you set up the first camera take your second camera get all your settings set and then move towards your next location. When I put mine out once I got a signal next to the first camera I jumped on the atv and drove to the next location. The signal is not a constant lock so you will see it change when your standing by the camera.. kind of similar to a cell phone when I'm in the tree stand :)

Update: 8/7/17 I checked the Cuddelinks this past weekend and they are still holding at 98 and 99% battery life after 6 weeks of pictures and transmission. Needless to say, I am beyond impressed with the battery life of these new Cuddebacks compared to the last several years....

Update: 8/14/17 With 7 weeks in the field and over 5000 pics these cameras are still at 99%, I can't believe the upgrade Cuddeback has made in battery life. I am using Rayovac Alkaline batteries and always have. I can't imagine how long lithiums would last.....

Sam uses the new Cuddelink cameras on his private lease and said so far, so good, with a couple of notes to consider...
  1. Even a small rise, less than 50' in elevation, is enough to break the daisy chain if you don't have a link on the top of the hill, so plan for that in advance if you try the cameras out.
  2. The Remote cameras retain the full resolution images on their cards, but the transmitted images are of a lower resolution/quality, yet still clear enough to see what you need to see.
  3. High-quality D batteries (4 in each dual flash) will last up to 10,000 pictures, or a full year, whichever comes first, according to Cuddeback. Sam's cameras are only in their first month, so no telling yet.
  4. The furthest connection between remotes is 600 yards on flat land with 20' pines and some taller oak trees in between. The connection strength is "74% GOOD", so we imagine it could transmit as far as Cuddeback says it could.
Overall, they're doing what their supposed to do. It's important you're testing the connection before arming the camera and walking away. It's a beautiful thing to place a camera and never have to molest the area to check it or swap cards!

Sam uses the new Cuddelink cameras on his private lease and said so far, so good, with a couple of notes to consider...
  1. Even a small rise, less than 50' in elevation, is enough to break the daisy chain if you don't have a link on the top of the hill, so plan for that in advance if you try the cameras out.
  2. The Remote cameras retain the full resolution images on their cards, but the transmitted images are of a lower resolution/quality, yet still clear enough to see what you need to see.
  3. High-quality D batteries (4 in each dual flash) will last up to 10,000 pictures, or a full year, whichever comes first, according to Cuddeback. Sam's cameras are only in their first month, so no telling yet.
  4. The furthest connection between remotes is 600 yards on flat land with 20' pines and some taller oak trees in between. The connection strength is "74% GOOD", so we imagine it could transmit as far as Cuddeback says it could.
Overall, they're doing what their supposed to do. It's important you're testing the connection before arming the camera and walking away. It's a beautiful thing to place a camera and never have to molest the area to check it or swap cards!

D batteries???

Who is Sam? Yes, if I am using them with terrain changes I insure that I place one on a hill so I have no issues. I am beyond impressed at this point and have no desire to go in any other direction. I'm planning on purchasing many more of these units....I am interested to see how my battery life is in cold weather and if I use lithium's for the first time ever, how that effects battery life.

You will see a change in the distance when using in terrain. My home camera is set up on the top of a ridge and the first remote is roughly 200 yards away at the bottom of the ridge where a creek passes through. This ridge is at least a drop in 50' of elevation and I had no issues. Now granted my 2nd remote is a good 400 yards from the 1st remote so yes you will see a difference in signal strength when changing elevation.

Do the Cuddelink cams make noise when they take a picture? A buddy was testing them and said he could hear the cam take a picture over the volume of the tv??

Most to all scouting cameras have a filter that will flip in front of the lens depending on light settings. Only a select few models have 2 camera lens to illuminate this filter. When the filter changes positions it does click however Ive hunted over my cameras and have never heard a noise. Yes testing in my house I was able to hear it click but was told that was because your testing inside. Tell your buddy to test it outside and I would bet he wouldn't have this issue. I've always been told testing scouting cameras inside is a big no no.

I bought three cuddelink cams this weekend and was testing in the house and heard the clicking noise. I sent a pm to hoovjara and bkraps asking about this as well as one other person on another forum that I know that uses these cams this weekend because of the very same thing. Then today someone comes on here saying their friend did the very same thing this weekend and had the same issue. What a coincidence ;) Anyways I also contacted a rep for the company and the owner of the company. Both of those guys said it was the filter and it was activated so often because of the light situation in the house. The fella from the other forum and the rep and owner pm'd me back, owner on Sunday night and rep on Monday. I didn't expect to be contacted for a few days, especially since it was Sat. when I sent the pms.

The cams, besides the noise issue, performed exactly as described. The home cam had all the pics of the other two cam as well as its own and all were in there own folders on the home cam sd card. They were simple to set up and the pics were of great quality.

Mark Cuddeback impressed me with him taking the time to get back to me so soon on Sunday.

Hoovjara, by chance are you a dealer of these cams in WI?

While I'll agree that testing in the house is not the best way to test the camera it is a great way to make sure it takes pictures with all that goes on in the house. After putting in scent chamber for a few minutes and a spray down of scent killer they are in my scent free container and will be put out this week. In a few weeks I'm sure I will have some good intel to plan from. If these work as described in real world settings I will be buying several more. as well as the other accessories they have coming out to improve their function in the hilly terrain I'm in.

I bought three cuddelink cams this weekend and was testing in the house and heard the clicking noise. I sent a pm to hoovjara and bkraps asking about this as well as one other person on another forum that I know that uses these cams this weekend because of the very same thing. Then today someone comes on here saying their friend did the very same thing this weekend and had the same issue. What a coincidence ;) Anyways I also contacted a rep for the company and the owner of the company. Both of those guys said it was the filter and it was activated so often because of the light situation in the house. The fella from the other forum and the rep and owner pm'd me back, owner on Sunday night and rep on Monday. I didn't expect to be contacted for a few days, especially since it was Sat. when I sent the pms.

The cams, besides the noise issue, performed exactly as described. The home cam had all the pics of the other two cam as well as its own and all were in there own folders on the home cam sd card. They were simple to set up and the pics were of great quality.

Mark Cuddeback impressed me with him taking the time to get back to me so soon on Sunday.

While I'll agree that testing in the house is not the best way to test the camera it is a great way to make sure it takes pictures with all that goes on in the house. After putting in scent chamber for a few minutes and a spray down of scent killer they are in my scent free container and will be put out this week. In a few weeks I'm sure I will have some good intel to plan from. If these work as described in real world settings I will be buying several more. as well as the other accessories they have coming out to improve their function in the hilly terrain I'm in.

Nothing but exceptional customer service experiences for me either yet I hear so many complaints. The camera noise is the filter and you should test it outside.

Update: 8/23/17 Cameras are 2 months in and still holding 98-99% battery life and no issues to report. These things are amazing!!

No I'm not a dealer just have been a user of Cuddeback for years. I remember buying my first Cuddeback from Mark himself at one of the deer expo shows when he was first starting out. I'm lucky enough to be close enough to Cuddeback's headquarters so when I make it a point to swing up there I usually try and pick their brains when it comes to all the products. Before I bought the CuddeLink system I was in their lobby for over an hour talking to a couple of people about the system. From what it sounds they really put the time and effort into testing this technology as they had answers for everything I threw at them.

Cuddelink Update 9/7/17: I found the only weakness with these cameras.....I went to check them this past weekend and a coon chewed and ripped off the antenna on the home unit. Needless to say, I wasn't happy but I have a new one coming today. Other than that, battery life still at 98-99 and going strong after 10 weeks!!

Can you post a couple of the lower resolution pictures at some point? I am curious as to the detail. And whether it is the same, or better than the typical cellular cameras.

T__00058.JPG
T__00059.JPG

Here are some of the images from my CuddeLink camera. Now this is the remote image that is sent to the Home camera so the quality is not as good

Top Bottom