Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cultipacker advice

Jim Holloway

I’m finally working on building my own food plot and native grass area, and am getting ready to put in the 1st section of the food plot soon. We will be disking, and I have read a cultipacker is the way to go to keep the seeds shallow (first, then plant, then do it again). We don’t have one as of now but we have a harrow. I have heard from multiple sources that a harrow will potentially make seeds too deep but wondered if anyone has used 1 in a flat position as an alternative or has any other ideas. Thanks in advance.

It makes a difference on what kind of seed you are intending on planting. Remember you can use atv tires as a cultipacker and it works well. I'm not sure how big your plot is but you can cover a pretty big area with atv tires in a surprisingly short amount of time.

It makes a difference on what kind of seed you are intending on planting. Remember you can use atv tires as a cultipacker and it works well. I'm not sure how big your plot is but you can cover a pretty big area with atv tires in a surprisingly short amount of time.
Thanks, the food plots will be relatively small I think. The tall grass will be closer to 3-4 acres. I have 6 months to think about the tall grass, but the ATV tires may work perfectly for what I want to do this fall. I'll have to think this one over.

If you have a tractor or quad track it in with those tires in lieu of a packer. It will take you awhile depending on bow big your plot is but it is better than getting your seed to deep.

Top Bottom