Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CWD in Iowa

JNRBRONC

State officials have verified the first case of chronic wasting disease in the state in a white-tail deer on a hunting preserve in southern Iowa. The Iowa Department of Natural Resources said Friday the deer in Davis County was verified with the disease this week. Officials said it is an isolated case.
There is no evidence that the disease can spread to humans, pets or domestic livestock such as cows, pigs, sheep or goats.
It is a neurological disease that only affects deer, elk and moose. It is caused by an abnormal protein called a prion that affects the brains of infected animals, causing them to lose weight, display abnormal behavior and lose bodily functions.
Signs include excessive salivation, thirst and urination, loss of appetite, progressive weight loss, listlessness and drooping ears and head.
The Davis County facility where the animal was held is quarantined. It is surrounded by an eight-foot fence.
The facility has been inspected by the DNR and the Iowa Department of Agriculture to ensure that any remaining deer are contained.
"We have a CWD surveillance program in place to test deer, elk and moose at the facilities that raise farm deer and we have worked closely with DNR to plan for a possible finding of the disease," said Iowa State Veterinarian David Schmitt.
The state has tested more than 42,000 wild deer and more than 4,000 captive deer and elk as part of the surveillance program since 2002, when the disease was found in Wisconsin.
The DNR will increase testing of wild deer in the area by working with hunters and landowners to collect samples from hunter harvested deer beginning this fall.
The prions that cause the disease can attach to soil and spread the disease among deer.
Chronic wasting disease was first identified in captive mule deer at a research facility in Colorado in 1967.
Prior to the positive detection in Iowa, CWD had been detected in every bordering state.

Great. Another case started at a high fenced operation. I feel bad for the residents and landowners of Davis county if this disease is found outside the fences. Hopefully that's not the case, as some of the farms I hunt are in this area.

Definitely not the first case in iowa just the first confirmed one. Hopefully it affects a small number of deer and the herd stays healthy

Kratz

So, could this kill every deer? Like, if it spreads hardcore could it really eliminate all Deer everywhere?
It is a slow disease, so it doesn't wipe out the whole herd. CWD is endemic in herds out west.

They mention that it was high fence. Previously there was talk of adopting regulations that required a second fence as a buffer zone so that wild deer could not "swap spit" with captive deer.

So, could this kill every deer? Like, if it spreads hardcore could it really eliminate all Deer everywhere?

CWD has been identified in free-ranging cervids in 15 US states and 2 Canadian provinces and in ≈ 100 captive herds in 15 states and provinces and in South Korea (Figure 1, panel B).

SNIP...

Long-term effects of CWD on cervid populations and ecosystems remain unclear as the disease continues to spread and prevalence increases. In captive herds, CWD might persist at high levels and lead to complete herd destruction in the absence of human culling. Epidemiologic modeling suggests the disease could have severe effects on free-ranging deer populations, depending on hunting policies and environmental persistence (8,9). CWD has been associated with large decreases in free-ranging mule deer populations in an area of high CWD prevalence (Boulder, Colorado, USA) (5).

PLEASE STUDY THIS MAP, COMPARE FARMED CWD TO WILD CWD...

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/18/3/11-0685-f1.htm

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Occurrence, Transmission, and Zoonotic Potential of Chronic Wasting Disease

CDC Volume 18, Number 3—March 2012

CWD has been identified in free-ranging cervids in 15 US states and 2 Canadian provinces and in ≈100 captive herds in 15 states and provinces and in South Korea (Figure 1, panel B).

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/18/3/11-0685_article.htm

i have followed this issue closely for 15 years daily from state to state. i thought some of you here might want to read the above study from the cdc that came out in may of 2012 about cwd. also, below, some other data some of you may find interest in. i am only a layperson, lost my mother to the hvCJD 'confirmed' dod 12/14/97, just never could accept the answers we were getting from the officials, and made a promise to mom. back then, there was no information on the Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy and the many strains in many species. now, CWD has mutated to two strains, how many more ??? is anyone's guess, but as these TSEs mutate, they can become more virulent, as with the atypical BSE. ...

UPDATED CORRESPONDENCE FROM AUTHORS OF THIS STUDY I.E. COLBY, PRUSINER ET AL, ABOUT MY CONCERNS OF THE DISCREPANCY BETWEEN THEIR FIGURES AND MY FIGURES OF THE STUDIES ON CWD TRANSMISSION TO CATTLE ;

----- Original Message -----

To: flounder9@verizon.net

Cc: stanley@XXXXXXXX

Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 8:25 AM

Subject: Re: FW: re-Prions David W. Colby1,* and Stanley B. Prusiner1,2 + Author Affiliations

Dear Terry Singeltary,

Thank you for your correspondence regarding the review article Stanley Prusiner and I recently wrote for Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives. Dr. Prusiner asked that I reply to your message due to his busy schedule. We agree that the transmission of CWD prions to beef livestock would be a troubling development and assessing that risk is important. In our article, we cite a peer-reviewed publication reporting confirmed cases of laboratory transmission based on stringent criteria. The less stringent criteria for transmission described in the abstract you refer to lead to the discrepancy between your numbers and ours and thus the interpretation of the transmission rate. We stand by our assessment of the literature--namely that the transmission rate of CWD to bovines appears relatively low, but we recognize that even a low transmission rate could have important implications for public health and we thank you for bringing attention to this matter.

Warm Regards, David Colby

--

David Colby, PhDAssistant ProfessorDepartment of Chemical EngineeringUniversity of Delaware

====================END...TSS==============

SNIP...SEE FULL TEXT ;

http://betaamyloidcjd.blogspot.com/2011/01/enlarging-spectrum-of-prion-like.html

UPDATED DATA ON 2ND CWD STRAIN

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

CWD PRION CONGRESS SEPTEMBER 8-11 2010

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2010/09/cwd-prion-2010.html

Thursday, May 31, 2012

CHRONIC WASTING DISEASE CWD PRION2012 Aerosol, Inhalation transmission, Scrapie, cats, species barrier, burial, and more

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2012/05/chronic-wasting-disease-cwd-prion2012.html

these blogs are for educational use only, i do not advertise, i do not make money from this, i simply made a promise.

safe hunting !

kind regards,
terry

I actually live less than a mile from the high fence operation in question. It is under 24 hour quarantine, so that no deer can come into or leave the facility. I also heard that the guy who owns the ranch is trying to fight the fact that they want to kill every deer and elk inside the pen. I heard that the only way to test for cwd is to kill the animals. I don't think he is going to have a choice, so kill them all. What's bad is that these are non wild animals brought into the area. If it wasn't for this one person bringing them in, I don't think we would have a problem. Same thing with the deer in Macon Missouri that tested positive last year. High fence operation!!! This could end up impacting me, and other Iowans, in a large way if a wild deer tested positive, thanks to the whole deer rancher thing! I think it is a joke in the first place. So now because they want to fence in a farm and raise deer for people that don't want to take the time to actually hunt, I have to pay the consequences!! And I don't fault the guys that are raising the deer. Apparently there is a market for it, or they wouldn't stay in business. But when it directy impacts the Iowa outdoorsmans way of life, I think there is no need for it!!! Whats even worse, is that the deer that tested positive was killed and tested in December, and the results just came back last week. WTF?

It is a slow disease, so it doesn't wipe out the whole herd. CWD is endemic in herds out west.

They mention that it was high fence. Previously there was talk of adopting regulations that required a second fence as a buffer zone so that wild deer could not "swap spit" with captive deer.
And had that happened there would be no chance of it spreading to wild deer. There are have been dnr officers sitting at the gate of facility since wednesday making sure that they dont take any deer in or out. Seems like a good policy to me!!!!!!!!!!

I actually live less than a mile from the high fence operation in question. It is under 24 hour quarantine, so that no deer can come into or leave the facility. I also heard that the guy who owns the ranch is trying to fight the fact that they want to kill every deer and elk inside the pen. I heard that the only way to test for cwd is to kill the animals. I don't think he is going to have a choice, so kill them all. What's bad is that these are non wild animals brought into the area. If it wasn't for this one person bringing them in, I don't think we would have a problem. Same thing with the deer in Macon Missouri that tested positive last year. High fence operation!!! This could end up impacting me, and other Iowans, in a large way if a wild deer tested positive, thanks to the whole deer rancher thing! I think it is a joke in the first place. So now because they want to fence in a farm and raise deer for people that don't want to take the time to actually hunt, I have to pay the consequences!! And I don't fault the guys that are raising the deer. Apparently there is a market for it, or they wouldn't stay in business. But when it directy impacts the Iowa outdoorsmans way of life, I think there is no need for it!!! Whats even worse, is that the deer that tested positive was killed and tested in December, and the results just came back last week. WTF?

here is part of the cost to taxpayer for just one cwd infected facility in Wisconsin ;

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

CHRONIC WASTING DISEASE CWD WISCONSIN Almond Deer (Buckhorn Flats) Farm Update DECEMBER 2011

The CWD infection rate was nearly 80%, the highest ever in a North American captive herd.

RECOMMENDATION: That the Board approve the purchase of 80 acres of land for $465,000 for the Statewide Wildlife Habitat Program in Portage County and approve the restrictions on public use of the site.

snip...see full text and much more here ;

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/nrboard/2011/december/12-11-2b2.pdf

2010 WISCONSIN CAPTIVE DEER ESCAPES

> There were 26 reported escape incidents so far this year, this amounted to 20 actual confirmed escape incidents because 3 were previously reported, 2 were confirmed as wild deer, and 1 incident was not confirmed.

Wisconsin Conservation Congress CWD Committee Notes recorded by Secretary- Tony Grabski, Iowa County Delegate From the meeting at Mead Wildlife Area Visitor Center Milladore, WI Saturday, August 7, 2010, 9:30 AM

C. & D. Captive Cervid and Law Enforcement Update (11:10 AM)- Warden Pete Dunn gave the captive cervid farm update.

There were 26 reported escape incidents so far this year, this amounted to 20 actual confirmed escape incidents because 3 were previously reported, 2 were confirmed as wild deer, and 1 incident was not confirmed. Approximately 30% of these escapes were caused by gates being left open and the other 70% resulted from bad fencing or fence related issues. The 20 actual confirmed escape incidents amounted to 77 total animals. 50 of the escaped animals were recovered or killed and 27 were not recovered and remain unaccounted for. Last year the CWD Committee passed a resolution to require double gates, but this has not gone into effect yet. Questions were raised by the committee about double fencing requirements? Pete responded that double fencing has not been practical or accepted by the industry. The DNR has the authority to do fence inspections. ?If a fence fails to pass the inspection the fencing certificate can be revoked and the farmer can be issued a citation. This year three citations and one warning have been issued for escapes.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/nrboard/congress/minutes/2010/cwd_committee_2010.pdf

and just for the record, the above 2010 report and statement there from i.e. ;

> Tami Ryan agreed and added that the risk of transmission through water was low because prions bind to soils preferentially.

this needs to be addressed, because risk factor for water from cwd endemic areas is a serious risk factor in my opinion. please see ;

Detection of Protease-Resistant Prion Protein in Water from a CWD-Endemic Area

snip...

These data suggest prolonged persistence and accumulation of prions in the environment that may promote CWD transmission.

snip...

The data presented here demonstrate that sPMCA can detect low levels of PrPCWD in the environment, corroborate previous biological and experimental data suggesting long term persistence of prions in the environment2,3 and imply that PrPCWD accumulation over time may contribute to transmission of CWD in areas where it has been endemic for decades. This work demonstrates the utility of sPMCA to evaluate other environmental water sources for PrPCWD, including smaller bodies of water such as vernal pools and wallows, where large numbers of cervids congregate and into which prions from infected animals may be shed and concentrated to infectious levels.

snip...end...full text at ;

http://www.landesbioscience.com/

http://www.cwd-info.org/pdf/3rd_CWD_Symposium_utah.pdf

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2009/08/third-international-cwd-symposium-july.html

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2009/10/detection-of-protease-resistant-cervid.html

Wisconsin’s Chronic Wasting Disease Response Plan: 2010–2025

(e) Farmed Cervid Escapes. Fencing failures and violations are a major cause of farmed cervid escapes. The state regulates all cervid farm fences; however, currently the DNR only has authority over white-tailed deer farm fencing. In an effort to standardize fencing requirements and recognizing the larger field staff of the DNR and the relative limitations that DATCP has with their ability to conduct on-site inspections, the DNR is seeking the legislative authority over all farmed cervid fencing. It is recognized that despite the currently available additional DNR field staff, this authority will likely involve a significant time commitment from the DNR and may require additional resources. Nonetheless, because the DNR has greater staff resources available for field observations, this authority will be a valuable tool for increasing the security of cervid farms and reducing escapes due to fencing failures.

http://knowcwd.com/Portals/0/PDFs/15-Year%20Response%20Plan.pdf

Wisconsin 2009 5 year plan

Captive Cervid Farms

There is great concern shared among the Department and many conservation groups about the potential risk captive-cervid farms present for the transmission of CWD to wild cervids. Deer farmers also have concerns about transmission of the disease to their farms from wild deer. Although this plan is for managing CWD in free-ranging deer, many questions were raised about the captive-cervid industry during the briefings that were held. The Conservation Congress, Wisconsin Wildlife Federation, Wisconsin Chapter of The Wildlife Society, and the Voigt Intertribal Task Force all voiced concerns about the captive-cervid industry. The tribes in particular view captive-cervid operations in the ceded territory as a bigger threat to spreading CWD in the ceded territory than free-ranging deer. Of the 29 people who offered web-based comments on captive-cervid farms, half called for the elimination of game farms in Wisconsin and half called for tighter regulations. Concerns were raised about the number of escapes, the amount of time it has taken to depopulate some CWD-positive deer farms, and the future risk these positive farms pose to free-ranging deer if the fences are removed at these facilities. Currently, the Department of Natural Resources only has authority over the fences of currently populated white-tailed deer farms. The Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DA TCP) regulates animal health aspects of captive-cervid farms as it does for other animal farming operations.

snip...

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/nrboard/2009/august/08-09-3b7.pdf

Friday, February 03, 2012

Wisconsin Farm-Raised Deer Farms and CWD there from 2012 report

Singeltary et al

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2012/02/wisconsin-farm-raised-deer-farms-and.html

Monday, June 11, 2012

OHIO Captive deer escapees and non-reporting

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2012/06/ohio-captive-deer-escapees-and-non.html

Saturday, February 04, 2012

Wisconsin 16 age limit on testing dead deer Game Farm CWD Testing Protocol Needs To Be Revised

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2012/02/wisconsin-16-age-limit-on-testing-dead.html

Thursday, February 09, 2012

Colorado Farm-Raised Deer Farms and CWD there from 2012 report Singeltary et al

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2012/02/colorado-farm-raised-deer-farms-and-cwd.html

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Chronic Wasting Disease CWD cervids interspecies transmission

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2012/01/chronic-wasting-disease-cwd-cervids.html

Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Risk of Prion Zoonoses

Science 27 January 2012: Vol. 335 no. 6067 pp. 411-413 DOI: 10.1126/science.1218167

http://transmissiblespongiformencephalopathy.blogspot.com/2012/01/risk-of-prion-zoonoses.html

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Facilitated Cross-Species Transmission of Prions in Extraneural Tissue

Science 27 January 2012: Vol. 335 no. 6067 pp. 472-475 DOI: 10.1126/science.1215659

http://transmissiblespongiformencep...1/facilitated-cross-species-transmission.html

kind regards,
terry

8 foot fences mean nothing if wild deer nuzzle captive deer through the fence. There have been proposals to have captive deer herds held behind a double fence barrier to prevent such interaction.

Pretty sure the DNR forced a friend of mine who raises whitetail to dart them and take tonsil samples for CWD testing. Sometimes the deer don't survive the ordeal.

Chronic Wasting Disease Found in Iowa DNR press release

Chronic Wasting Disease Found in Iowa

Posted: 07/23/2012

DES MOINES – A white-tail deer at a hunting preserve in Davis County has become the first positive detection of chronic wasting disease (CWD) in Iowa. The positive sample was verified this week, and DNR is working closely with the State Veterinarian on this isolated incident.

There is no evidence that CWD can spread to humans, pets or domestic livestock such as pork, beef, dairy, poultry, sheep or goats.

The Davis County facility where the animal was held has been inspected by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship (IDALS) to ensure that any remaining deer remain contained. The facility is surrounded by an eight-foot fence. A quarantine has also been issued for the facility.

“Given all of Iowa’s surrounding states have confirmed cases of CWD, Iowa DNR was prepared to address this isolated incident,” said DNR Deputy Director Bruce Trautman.

The DNR and IDALS have a CWD response plan in place to address the disease.

“We have a CWD surveillance program in place to test deer, elk and moose at the facilities that raise farm deer and we have worked closely with DNR to plan for a possible finding of the disease,” said Iowa State Veterinarian Dr. David Schmitt.

Iowa has tested 42,557 wild deer and over 4,000 captive deer and elk as part of the surveillance program since 2002 when CWD was found in Wisconsin.

The DNR will increase testing of wild deer in the area by working with hunters and landowners to collect samples from hunter harvested deer beginning this fall.

CWD is a neurological disease that only affects deer, elk and moose. It is caused by an abnormal protein, called a prion, which affects the brains of infected animals, causing them to lose weight, display abnormal behavior and lose bodily functions. Signs include excessive salivation, thirst and urination, loss of appetite, progressive weight loss, listlessness and drooping ears and head.

The prions can attach to soil and spread the disease among deer. Chronic wasting disease was first identified in captive mule deer at a research facility in Colorado in 1967. Prior to the positive detection in Iowa, CWD had been detected in every bordering state.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/insidednr/socialmediapressroom/newsreleases/vw/1/itemid/919

Friday, July 20, 2012

CWD found for first time in Iowa at hunting preserve

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2012/07/cwd-found-for-first-time-in-iowa-at.html

kind regards,
terry

Insurance

I am in the insurance business, and I find it hard to believe that these high fence operations can even exist. These owners could easily be found liable for the cost associated with CWD?

After all, if they didn't have the operation and bring animals in, the CWD would not be present. So to me that would be an indication of negligence. To say, I never thought it would happen, is meaningless as this continues to happen in various states.

If it costs $1 million to fund the CWD prevention and all the steps, I doubt insurance would pay it, therefore the owners would have to pay it out of pocket??

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't see a future for this type of operation as the liability risk is too high, and I don't know if the insurance company would pay this type of claim??

Top Bottom