Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Daughter takes a big one with her 450

gunrunr

Life Member
I decided to take my 12 year old daughter out during second season shotgun and have her sit in a Muddy Bull blind with me with a 450 Bushmaster AR. It was gorgeous weather and we were having fun naming the does as they came out until the bucks started to appear. Apparently there was one hot doe in the bunch as the bucks all lip-curled behind her and chased her around like little puppy dogs playing a game.

With plenty of light left in the day a nicer buck appeared and I handed her the binoculars and asked if she wanted to try and take him. "Yes Please, Can I?" was the immediate response so we raised a window and put a sandbag across the frame. She has had tons of shooting practice as she is on the Pella Shooting Team and is actually State Champion in both Skeet and Sporting Clays. The buck meandered around in and out of all the does, always seeming to stop with another deer directly behind him but finally he stood nice and broadside all by himself at about 125 yds. No sooner than I told her to go ahead and shoot the gun barked and I saw the impact on his side, knowing well and good he was dead on his feet. He ran off about 20 years and tipped over just as pretty as can be.

Nice shot Erin!

For those of you without kids, the feeling you get at that point would be roughly double the feeling of taking a new world record by yourself - unspeakable joy overwhelmed us both. It sure was nice to be able to field dress with temps in the high 40's and have him home, hung and skinned out before dark - just in time for supper!

48374814_2120156231374703_5276510495870812160_o.jpg

Awesome! I guess I should have had a daughter. I have 3 sons, 27, 24, and 14, and none of them took a liking to hunting. :( They all love fishing at least. :rolleyes: They all have a little too much of their mother in them I guess. o_O

Great buck, great shot, great smile and even better memories. Well done daughter and dad!

Top Bottom