Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR Wildlife Rules: ICN Public Meeting, Feb 25, 2015, 6 -9 PM

^^^^ Agreed the turn out was way bad. I Just don't get it why sportsmen won't get involved. The same old keep your head in the sand mentality that just won't ever go away. TH you were awesome on the screen. You stood your ground and got the last say. Great job!!

Glad I could make it, there really aren't very many people that show up. It's super sad to not see any kids my age there talking or making comments.

^^^^ Agreed the turn out was way bad. I Just don't get it why sportsmen won't get involved. The same old keep your head in the sand mentality that just won't ever go away. TH you were awesome on the screen. You stood your ground and got the last say. Great job!!

Get it online to at least observe the meetings.

Seriously, great job TH. You represented your site very well. What this does show is the few that show up have quite a bit of control of the input to the DNR. Certainly lots of consistent messages again this year. Thanks to all who participated.

Seriously, great job TH. You represented your site very well. What this does show is the few that show up have quite a bit of control of the input to the DNR. Certainly lots of consistent messages again this year. Thanks to all who participated.

The topic at our site that was discussed and all 9 of us agreed that needs to be changed is the NR antlerless tags for the gun seasons. The interesting thing when the other sites where reporting many said the same thing. For the people that attended last night what was the hot topic at your site.

First of all, to those of you who attended the meeting yesterday, thank you for representing the resident hunters of the state. In my experience over the past couple of years, this meeting has had a large impact on hunting regulations.

I'm not disagreeing with you that many just seem to not care enough to get involved, but I would like to provide another perspective. I have attended the past 2 years and was all ready to go for the originally scheduled date in February. At the time it was cancelled, the cancellation message did not mention whether or not it would be rescheduled and urged those who were going to attend to send an email or contact the DNR with ideas and changes they would like to see this year. I sent an email and thought that was it for the year. I did not find out until Tuesday night that the meeting had indeed been rescheduled for yesterday. By that time, it was too late for me to find a babysitter for my kids.

So I guess my point is, you can't assume that there weren't more people like me who read the cancellation last month and made the same assumptions. You can be assured that I will be back at the meetings again next year.

I agree with all statements... Turn out from hunters to things like this has historically been sad. Last year was exception. At the same time "I'd never miss one" and I heard about this last minute and was working until 7:30 at farm last night finishing projects. It for sure was not broadcast like it should have been. That's a shame. I will b there for any ongoing meetings and we need to rally folks to show. This was advertised extremely poorly though and I don't fault a lot for not showing.
In the meantime- please write in on issues of concern. For me- it's "quit messing with deer seasons" as we will see continued attacks. 2nd for me is IWILL funding on conservation. If u don't know the scoop on that ridiculous crap- chime in. Please folks, continue to write in and call. Sorry the meeting wasn't so great on attendance- I don't have room to talk on this one though. Made it home at about 8:30 and I will be at the next. Thanks to those that went!!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone that attended last night to the meetings. Hopefully everyone's "voice" got heard.

As far as comments about more sportsmen getting involved and low attendance #s.....not everyone has bankers hours. I don't get off work till 7pm. By the time I hauled ass to the nearest location it would've been close to 8. A couple years ago I did this and the doors were already locked.

Like I said....thanks to everyone that attended

I did not attend because of other obligations, but honestly, the only way I have ever heard about this is from this site. Not to jab at the DNR, but what kind of advertising is in place for this? Is there something mailed out to those who bought a hunting or fishing license? If so, I must have missed it every year. I realize it takes a lot of money to market something, but I can't help but to wonder how many people would attend if they received some sort of reminder. Maybe I just live under a rock and need to watch the news once in a while.

Key topics at Johnston:
1) Use other methods to gather this input - not everyone can attend the meetings. I believe this DNR heard this loud and clear.
2) Leave the deer seasons alone
3) Great programs for youth - keep them up
4) Encourage trapping to help pheasants and quail

Regarding knowing about the meeting:
1) This thread was bumped on this site 3 times leading up to the new date
2) IBA sent out 1 (maybe 2) emails regarding this new meeting date
3) DNR has a website, list serves, facebook, twitter, and other items I don't follow. If you are interested, track them.

While communication can always be improved, if it is important to you, find a way to track it. I just set up an annual reminder in Outlook on 2/1 for me to check the DNR site for this meeting date. Heck, it is only $25 bucks to going the IBA. If you get them your email, they will let you know about it. BTW - it was on their web page as well.

I certainly understand not everyone can attend, but there are certainly ways to know about it if it is important to you.

I was at the Monroe location and it was the first meeting that I have attended. All locations were to make lists about things they liked in 2014 and things they would like see changed for 2015. Here are a few of the things we talked about in Monroe but I know I won’t cover it all (and I don’t bird hunt besides turkey or trap so I didn’t retain much of that stuff):

Likes from 2014 and previous years:
-Youth tags (deer and turkey) being able to be used in other seasons besides the youth season
-January rifle season being cut – definitely don’t want this season again
-Deer numbers seemed to be better overall than the last few years but could still improve
-Cutting antlerless quotas
-Dove season
-Turkey numbers seem to be up this year

Potential things to change in 2015:
-Dove season is good but more and larger food plots – too many hunters in small fields
-Get rid of non-resident doe tags – especially during the shotgun season
-Get rid of tag sharing during shotgun season
-Open up more areas for bobcat trapping
-DNR putting more emphasis on advertising for meetings like this
- Try to gain more public hunting areas and increase the walk-in hunting program
-Potentially bump license fees a few dollars to help fund the DNR or pay for land

I know I am forgetting some but those are some of the main points we covered. And to go on what TH said, there wasn't a good turnout in general but very few guys under 40 years old. Complaining on here doesn't do any good - these meetings are exactly for complaining and saying what you liked and want changed.

Key topics at Johnston:
1) Use other methods to gather this input - not everyone can attend the meetings. I believe this DNR heard this loud and clear.
2) Leave the deer seasons alone
3) Great programs for youth - keep them up
4) Encourage trapping to help pheasants and quail

Regarding knowing about the meeting:
1) This thread was bumped on this site 3 times leading up to the new date
2) IBA sent out 1 (maybe 2) emails regarding this new meeting date
3) DNR has a website, list serves, facebook, twitter, and other items I don't follow. If you are interested, track them.

While communication can always be improved, if it is important to you, find a way to track it. I just set up an annual reminder in Outlook on 2/1 for me to check the DNR site for this meeting date. Heck, it is only $25 bucks to going the IBA. If you get them your email, they will let you know about it. BTW - it was on their web page as well.

I certainly understand not everyone can attend, but there are certainly ways to know about it if it is important to you.
Well said RJack. If you had other commitments like kids, work, family that is very understandable. No one will fault you for that stuff it is more important stuff. It's for the ones that won't do any thing to help there sport. We all know the ones that don't want to get involved. Weather they are lazy or don't give a hoot what goes on. Those people are the ones that need to get there heads out of the sand. It takes all of us to make this state the best place for all sportsmen.

Let me clarify that I'm not complaining one bit. I had every intention of attending, but couldn't. What I meant by my comment was that there are probably many others out there like ourselves that would love to voice their opinions at one of these discussions, but simply don't know that they exist.

I will have to look at the regulations booklet to see if its already in there, but that would be an excellent way to spread awareness if you opened the first page and saw an ad for this.

Regardless, kudos to the DNR for putting these together and the willingness to hear the opinions of the public to help influence the maintenance of our regs. I just hope that the lack of attendance doesn't cause them to consider discontinuing this at some point.

NR

The topic at our site that was discussed and all 9 of us agreed that needs to be changed is the NR antlerless tags for the gun seasons. The interesting thing when the other sites where reporting many said the same thing. For the people that attended last night what was the hot topic at your site.

Ok if they got rid of the NR antlerless tags for the gun season...what then would replace them?? More NR anysex tags issued? You are talking about hundreds of tags and six figures or more in lost income??

I was in Tiffin. Our stuff was the same as everyone else's. There was one gentleman that got up on the second round with some grouse changes. I'm not sure what they were because I was too busy talking myself out of getting to the microphone and asking if the spokesman from Chariton was speaking for the group or himself. I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how different it is than mine so I kept my own counsel. But seriously, 5 minutes on bringing back the antlerless center fire season?

In the future I'd like the DNR rep at the site to take the microphone first and say how many people are in attendance. From the camera angle in Chariton I couldn't tell if the speaker was the only guy there.

I was at the Monroe meeting, good comments all around.

I was the one who brought up youth tags should be available until a kid turns 18, I was disappointed on some of the comments on kids milking tags.
Not all kids have money to burn on a deer tag plus a hunting license, if they are hunting under adult supervision they buy a tag make it good until they take a deer and they shouldn't need a hunting license until 18 if hunting under direct supervision of an adult carring a valid license.

Heck they can't get a regular drivers license at 16 anymore, they are the future of our sport we need to make it as easy and affordable to get them involved.

Kids that would milk tags our learning that from adults.

I will get off my high horse now, but good meeting I was shocked at low turn outs.

Bowdude

I was at the Monroe meeting, good comments all around. I was the one who brought up youth tags should be available until a kid turns 18, I was disappointed on some of the comments on kids milking tags. Not all kids have money to burn on a deer tag plus a hunting license, if they are hunting under adult supervision they buy a tag make it good until they take a deer and they shouldn't need a hunting license until 18 if hunting under direct supervision of an adult carring a valid license. Heck they can't get a regular drivers license at 16 anymore, they are the future of our sport we need to make it as easy and affordable to get them involved. Kids that would milk tags our learning that from adults. I will get off my high horse now, but good meeting I was shocked at low turn outs. Bowdude

Learned it from adults? Personally I read the regulations, it tells you exactly what you need to know and I was able to get 4 any-sex tags a year.

Another big issue is, taking my brother or friend out. Legally, I'd be considered a youth and would not have the ability to take my brother, family member, or cousin out as a person with a legal hunting license. I'd be stuck with a "youth" stamped on my head. Most states youth is 14 and below, not even 16 and below.

Last time I checked it wasn't a kid forking out the money. If YOU don't have enough money to burn $26 extra on a deer tag/hunting license than the rest of Iowa, maybe hunting isn't for you. Because it's EXPENSIVE, trust me I'm a "youth" in your definition. By the time you're 16 you should have a job (I did) to pay and invest in your expensive hobby. My parents were kicking and screaming about footing the bill and told me I would do it for now on.

How many times did everyone on this forum complain about me shooting 4 bucks a year? Pretty sure, just about everyone on this forum was telling me something.

You do know that the only restriction is curfew on a 16 year olds drivers license in the state of Iowa?

However, I do see where you're coming from. I know some kids who weren't even allowed to hunt until they were 16 years old which would benefit them. On the flip side, I know more kids and adults that would abuse the system.

Learned it from adults? Personally I read the regulations, it tells you exactly what you need to know and I was able to get 4 any-sex tags a year.

Another big issue is, taking my brother or friend out. Legally, I'd be considered a youth and would not have the ability to take my brother, family member, or cousin out as a person with a legal hunting license. I'd be stuck with a "youth" stamped on my head. Most states youth is 14 and below, not even 16 and below.

Last time I checked it wasn't a kid forking out the money. If YOU don't have enough money to burn $26 extra on a deer tag/hunting license than the rest of Iowa, maybe hunting isn't for you. Because it's EXPENSIVE, trust me I'm a "youth" in your definition. By the time you're 16 you should have a job (I did) to pay and invest in your expensive hobby. My parents were kicking and screaming about footing the bill and told me I would do it for now on.

How many times did everyone on this forum complain about me shooting 4 bucks a year? Pretty sure, just about everyone on this forum was telling me something.

You do know that the only restriction is curfew on a 16 year olds drivers license in the state of Iowa?

However, I do see where you're coming from. I know some kids who weren't even allowed to hunt until they were 16 years old which would benefit them. On the flip side, I know more kids and adults that would abuse the system.

Maybe you are the exception to all 16year old kids, I personally would not want a 16 year old taking my kids out as the responsible license holder.

I understand your meaning a kid should have a job at 16, I would not let my son get a driver license until he had a job.

But there are a lot of kids out there who's parents do not hunt, so if they are 16 years old they have to: 1) Take a safety course 2) Buy a deer tag 3) Buy a hunting license 4) Buy a habitat stamp , now this license is good for lets say shotgun season, so he hunts 1st season does not get a deer. For a sixteen your old that a lot of money, wait lets add in camo clothes, orange blaze, gloves. hat, hand warmers, and ammo.

I am guessing you are like me loved hunting, family had a farm, place to hunt, but not every kid comes from this back ground. Not every sixteen year old should be hunting by themselves of supervising younger kids.

It will save them the cost of a hunting license, habitat stamp, and if they don't get a deer youth season they could hunt one shotgun season and muzzle.

Maybe you are the exception to all 16year old kids, I personally would not want a 16 year old taking my kids out as the responsible license holder.

I understand your meaning a kid should have a job at 16, I would not let my son get a driver license until he had a job.

But there are a lot of kids out there who's parents do not hunt, so if they are 16 years old they have to: 1) Take a safety course 2) Buy a deer tag 3) Buy a hunting license 4) Buy a habitat stamp , now this license is good for lets say shotgun season, so he hunts 1st season does not get a deer. For a sixteen your old that a lot of money, wait lets add in camo clothes, orange blaze, gloves. hat, hand warmers, and ammo.

I am guessing you are like me loved hunting, family had a farm, place to hunt, but not every kid comes from this back ground. Not every sixteen year old should be hunting by themselves of supervising younger kids.

It will save them the cost of a hunting license, habitat stamp, and if they don't get a deer youth season they could hunt one shotgun season and muzzle.

Initially I had the same thoughts as TH because I was brought up hunting and shot my first deer when I was 9 with my dad next to me so personally I would be one that would have milked the tags (I didn't because the youth tag came out when I was a little older I believe).

But all the reasons for increasing the youth age that BOWDUDE gave seem pretty darn good. I feel like I was mature for my age when I was 16 but I know not everyone is that way. There are some 12 year olds that I would feel more comfortable hunting with than 20-30 year olds.

Top Bottom