Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Do you support increase in License/Tag Costs?

Support increase in Tag/License costs? MULTIPLE CHOICES

• YES

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • NO

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • DUNNO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Optional Choice: I will be taking time to let the legislatures know my opinion

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
I got this from IBA. It's of course taking a side on the matter BUT.... did get me thinking and I didn't realize it was possible, on the table and how long it has been since an increase. What do YOU think? Email contact for Legislatures towards bottom whatever your point of view....

"HF 631, the bill that would allow an increase in our hunting, fishing and fur harvester license fees, is sitting in the Senate Ways & Means Committee. This bill needs to be moved forward to a subcommittee. They need to know from their constituents that you are supportive of paying more for the privilege to hunt, fish and trap in Iowa. While the Senators listed below may not be opposed to an increase in fees they may not understand that hunters, anglers and trappers are not opposed to the increase. They need to hear it from you: I support a fee increase. They need to hear and understand that sportsmen have always been willing to pay their own way.

I understand some of you will say I pay enough to hunt and fish, but the deer and turkey tags have not had an increase since 1991. Not many things in life have gone 26 years without an increase. Please ask them to support HF 631.

Sen. Dawson will most likely be chairman of subcommittee when it moves forward. He also needs to hear from his constituents.

Sen. Roby Smith roby.smith@legis.iowa.gov

Sen. Smith’s district includes Davenport and Bettendorf

Sen. Jim Carlin jim.carlin@legis.iowa.gov

Sen. Carlin’s district includes Plymouth and Woodbury Counties

Sen. Dan Dawson dan.dawson@legis.iowa.gov

Sen. Dawson is from the Council Bluffs area"

Resident, as far as I know. The bill linked by the IBA was from last year and didn't have specifics.

I emailed all those listed by the IBA to contact - none of which were my representatives. The only response I received was 2 legislators whose auto-reply said something like "please include your address so I can determine if you are in my district".

I am pretty fed up with trying to figure out how to impact these bills. The DNR listening meeting seemed to be worthless - especially in Altoona. Legislatures who are not sponsors/committee of the bill don't seem to care and if you are not in the district of the sponsor/committee, they seem to not even listen.

The reason the license fees do not increase in certain years, is because the fee increase is considered a "tax" increase by some in the public and by the certain legislators....politics as usual.

Misinformation is being shared. Don't get me wrong, I would support an increase of license fees, but the IBA or anyone else saying we haven't had an increase in license fees since 1991 (when all licenses are included) simply is not factual. Also, while it is money to support what we love to do, our license cost is not so great compared to other states, nor is how we fund our DNR. I don't know that raising our cost is the answer to the intent.

Misinformation is being shared. Don't get me wrong, I would support an increase of license fees, but the IBA or anyone else saying we haven't had an increase in license fees since 1991 (when all licenses are included) simply is not factual. Also, while it is money to support what we love to do, our license cost is not so great compared to other states, nor is how we fund our DNR. I don't know that raising our cost is the answer to the intent.

Help me out then, when were the last increases and in which licenses and where does the money come from for the Fish and Wildlife Trust Fund?

BUT, thanks for supporting a fee increase.

I don't mind that 100% of our license fees go toward the Fish and Wildlife Trust Fund. My comment is in regards to who all benefits from that fund, what else helps to fund it? I hate "use" fees but if that is what it is going to be, all users can contribute to it. Heck, if the Farm Bureau wants a word on managing our Fish and Wildlife resources, let them help with the finances of it.

Hunting license that cost $12.50 in 1993 will cost $19.00 today. Increases since 1991 included 2001, 2002 and once more, I think about 2009-2010?
Fishing licenses went up even more, not sure on dates, but they have gone up too.

Top Bottom