Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Doe Harvests!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Timber

I'm curious to see how many Iowa archers have harvested a doe this year. If you have taken a doe this year or harvest one later in the season, I would love to hear about. I would also love to see pictures and hear stories about the harvest(s). I need a group of doe photo's for QDMA presentations as well. If anyone is willing to submit a photo for this please let me know.

Dont forget to post your pictures and stories in the harvest report under "rolling in the does".

I'll start the tally count on doe's for this year.

DTLodge (our bow group): 2 does opening morning, 3 antlerless bow tags left.
(First deer on film!)

Hey bigtimber, I got one doe ( I was in Nebraska though) if you can use the info great. The picture is posted in the harvest report.. 1arrow

Big Timber, I put 2 does down the other night within 15 minutes. I also had a disabled hunter put the hurts on one. I am actively managing our farm and surrounding areas to trim the doe numbers in our area. I have worked with the IDNR to set up a 3 year management plan that includes 30 Antlerless Depo Tags and 15 regular Antlerless tags. I have recruited 21 different hunters to help me eliminate 45 does from our property each year for 3 years. So if you look at the big picture you can see that 45 this year means you won't have fawns next year. I actually take out 135 deer if they were to have twins. If I am doing the math correctly I don't just eliminate 135 does in 3 years but more like 400+.
So I am interested to see the results! Later T$

Shot one the 2nd. Have three more antlerless left to go. Pictures are coming. Your more than welcome to use my avatar, that was last years harvest with my son.

mole

Thanks guys,
T$, I'm exited to hear how it all turns out. Have you noticed a substantial growth in your buck heards? Antlers, body size, bigger/younger deer...

Interested to hear some results.

BT

I have taken two mature does out of the Lake Keomah herd management hunt. One had twins with her and the other had a single button buck. The one I got last night was a first on film for me also.

One doe tag filled. With a couple lg bucks I'll have more than enough for my needs. Hush lockers still three hours away!
From the above posts it seems places have FAR more deer than this area.
I find it hard to spend my days boning out does and doing the cleanup of the garage, clothing and equipment necessary to hunt the correctly.
The State gets 26 bucks for the first doe tag and when my freezers full the price drops to 11 bucks.
Bean counters
wtf.gif

While landowners tell the shotgun groups "kill'em all,let'em lay in the timer."
I wonder if it's sound logic or profit and profit loss that regulate the herd.
The number of deer the public is willing to tolorate is the driving force behind what size the herd will be. The battle over public opinion is fueled by the profits the winner will see. Perhaps one should consider our own arrogance and intolorance as a society. As we move to the country, become three and four car families, pave more road and view speedlimits as meer suggestions we demand the deer herd adjust to us. People feel it's somehow the deers fault for crossing the road or being there in the first place.
Some would not be happy reguardless the reduction in the herd size because every deer gone is seen as another dollar in thier pocket. I'm sure few people enjoy paying a $500 deductable from hitting a deer and personal injury is an issue with car deer accidents but I get frustrated when the local rag editor pumps false numbers and suggests driving during the breeding season is a gauntlet filled with deer hazards.
To many deer? No, just to many people.
Many of which seem to have formulated their opinion from the views of fools and fortune seekers.

Scout you have so many good points. I realize what you are saying, and I too agree with the people moving to the country. I will honestly say in this state the deer are more than abundant. Regardless to popular belief, and the last years trophy takings( the Albia buck), the doe population is huge. I have witnessed probably 10 does in a 400 acre area with twins in the past week. I try to hunt as hard as anyone on here (4-5 days a week) and have only had a chance at one larger buck. I MISSED.

As far as your concern with the price of tags, at this day and age, I feel the DNR should only issue any sex tags to someone that has shot a doe. Unfortunately, they still have it backwards. Buy the an any sex tag first for $26 then a doe tag for another $26 then the next one is $11. Too me it would make more sense to have the public buy a doe tag for $11 up front, then hold the $26 any sex tag after proof you harvested a doe.

As far as cost of tags go..... I'll tell you what, I get so many hours of enjoyment out of a tag and hunting, its hard for me to complain.

I get enough hours of enjoyemnt out of a hunting and fishing license, I would take the two over a drivers licence any day of the week.

JMO

Actually I would'nt mind the price of all the tags going up. Just make it logical. Like you said boatman, it's backwards.
I'd like to see a couple years of doe only hunting.

I like boatmans comment about requiring the harvest of a doe or even two before a anysex tag is issued. Make them cheaper upfront and even consider a special doe only week early in the season for any take hunting. There has to be a better way than the current method!

Filled the first of 3 antlerless tags Sunday night. Nice doe @ 18 yards and she didn't make it out of sight. Maybe BT can post the photo for me, as I seem to be a big technologically challenged
smile.gif

326nwbuckdoe2-med.JPG

NWBuck

No problem NW,
I didn't get your photo with the email the first time. If you can send me the photo, I will be more than happy to post it for you.

To fill you in on some details...
I'm in the process of making a large picture of all of our 2004 doe harvests for QDMA. It will be similiar to IW calendar coverpage and poster, except with doe harvests. I will also make this available to anyone on the site.

I want to show QDMA that Iowans are serious about doe harvests, especially IA Whitetailers.

Thanks,

BT

I agree with Boatman and his thoughts on tags. I would like to see the DNR take this into consideration in the future, even offering two doe tags at $11 each then once you prove the tags are filled you get your any sex tag.

Joe

No problem NW
waytogo.gif

I think the earn a buck tag is a great idea, but I think it would be hard to sell to traditionalists. I'm planning on speaking to the DNR soon about QDMA and I will definitely go over this topic to get their opinion on the subject.

I can tell you right now that it will be more costly to the DNR because you will have to have someone checking in doe's or approving the antlerless harvest.

I need to find out their take on this.

BT

BTimber. I agree it would take a little more work on the DNR's part, but if the public or the DNR wants the population cut down, its going to take some extra measures. Afterall, we as hunters are takeing extra measures if this would go into effect. Some guys wouldnt want to shoot the does before the anysex tags, mainly because of time. In other words not everyone can get out as easily as others to get the doe tags filled first, and yes the traditional shooters may be at a slight disadvantage. I think thats what you meant by traditionalists?

I guess this isnt a sure fire thing, and there would be many variables to get worked out, but I do think it would make alot more hunters commit to the harvest of a doe. I guess it would be alot better than closing an anysex season altogether.

Just a few of my thoughts, lets hear some more on this guys.

I don't like the idea. I bowhunt because I love it, gun hunt to fill the freezer. I usually eat my bow tag, but I haven't put a gun tag on an antlered deer in 17 years. I don't get out near as much as I'd like to, but during bow season I enjoy sitting in the stand and watching the world go by. I like the fact that I can look at any deer in range and make a decision on shooting it, usually I come up with a reason not to.
Frankly, I don't like to shoot deer early in the season. I don't have a walk in cooler, so if it's warm I can't let them hang. I want to shoot my freezer meat later in the year so I can hang it and butcher at my leisure. I prefer to drag deer when it's 25° rather than when it's 65°. I don't like the thought of the big boy walking through on opening morning and not being able to shoot him because I haven't taken a doe yet. I especially don't like state government deciding in which order I shoot my deer.
I grew up in a different state...you guys have a great ratio...seriously, you don't know how bad it can be. Primarily(IMHO), due to the shotgun season falling after the rut. You've got a hunting population that really took ownership of the situation last year and made full use of the antlerless tags that were offered. Iowa hunters seem to be doing a decent job of governing themselves in this respect.
If you want to tie a doe tag to a buck tag fine, make the anysex tag a 37 dollar tag and make it good for 1 either sex animal and 1 antlerless animal. Guys had to buy it, they might as well use it. If they don't want to then they're out 11 dollars. This state hasn't hit that desperation point where antlerless first needs to be implemented. Keep the hunters invested in the process, and I believe they will continue to play their part. Why use a baseball bat when a box of chocolates will work?
Lastly, I'm concerned that this is a rather one sided argument. Most of the people on this board are passionate about deer hunting and would deal with these types of restrictions.
Not everyone cares that much. Some guys just hunt deer and right or wrong, some folks just want to shoot a buck...any buck. Now from a QDM standpoint, that isn't great...but guess what, those guys don't give a hoot about QDM. If they did, they wouldn't shoot those little bucks.

Shoot what you want, get the message out, and accept the fact that others will do as they please.

Top Bottom