Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DOGS

BOWDUDE

I'm having problems down on the property I hunt with dogs running loose. The neighbors won't tie up their dogs.
The last two weekends as I am walking back in the timber there have been deer running with dogs chasing.
I also have not seen any turkeys so far this spring. I used to see turkeys everytime I went down.
This problem is really pissing me off.
Just wandering if anyone else has had any of the same problems and found some kind of a solution?
Thanks,
BOWDUDE

YES Tell your neighbors one time or you will take care of it. I told mine 3 times and i doubt that there would be a 4. Have not had a problem since. Turkeys and deer have returned FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also had this problem in an area I used to hunt, the dog's owner was warned several times to tie up his dog but he never did. I don't think anything grinds my gears more than having some dog come yipping through the timber on the heels of deer or tukey. Needless to say that dog is no more. My suggestion is to threaten with the authorities first and then take matters into your own hands and be discreet about it. This can be a VERY touchy subject to say the least.

Okay, I have to tell you a story about something that happened to me about 20 years ago. I was driving down a dead-end gravel road on the north side of Pilot knob state park one late winter day when I saw about 50 yards from the road two dogs chomping on the hindquarters of a buck they had dragged down in the deep snow. The buck has shed both antlers, and he was hamstrung but still alive. It looked as if the dogs had already eaten five pounds or more out of his hams. I rushed to the park office and Ray Turner, the park Ranger told me since it was a Sunday afternoon, he didn't care to come out and do anything about it. So I drove to the game warden's house in Forest city, Wilfred Macheak. Wilfred informed me that it was his last day and he was retiring the following day and he didn't want to be bothered. Fine, I'll take care of it myself. I went home and got my .243 and headed back out there. It was probably 45 minutes later but the dogs were still there and the buck was still alive. I jumped out of my pinto, with my wife watching, and took a shot at one of the dogs that was jumping all over around the deer's face, biting and barking. Shot missed, and the dog took off to the south. I emptied my gun at it as he ran, but never touched a hair. I watched him disappear from sight, noting that it was a yellow dog with a red collar. Suddenly my wife is screaming at me and I realized that the other dog is coming for me, getting real close, snarling and teeth bared. I reached in the car, grabbed one .243 shell, jammed it in the chamber, slammed the bolt shut and swung around just in time to shoot as the dog leapt for my throat. The dog's neck hit the barrel of the gun just as I shot, and the bullet went through its collar and broke it's neck. My gun barrel was actually touching the dog's collar when I shot! It took 15 minutes before my young wife stopped screaming and walking around with her face in her hands. She kept looking towards where the other dog had went, as if she was expecting it to come back and attack too. Seems either Turner or Macheak must have called the deputy sheriff, who was a bowhunter, because he showed up just as we were settling down. He loaded the dog in the trunk of the car and we walked out to the buck, who was still alive, but couldn't even get up, and shot it. I asked him what could be done about the other dog. He said "do whatever you want, just don't tell anyone." Well I did find the dog the following day, chained up in front of a house in a nearby housing development. Is 20 years long enough so I can now tell what happened to it?

Spooky story Iowa1, that happened to me last spring while turkey hunting. While walking to the tree with my gear I heard a growl off the trail to my left about 15 yards away. The day before I noticed 2 German shepherds and 1 black lab running around the area. I wouldn't have been too worried if I had a shotgun but I was bowhunting and it was pitch black out. I yelled and took a step towards them hoping to run them off, 1 growl turned into 2 or 3 and I jumped the fence...you gotta know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em! I let the landowner know and he told me that he had problems with calves getting drug down and to take care of 'em. I havn't seen the dogs since but it makes you think about what could've happened. Personally if I were you I'd dig a hole and take care of your dog problem cuz you never know what could happen.

I am not sure if I would warn them or not with the way Animal Rights Activists go about things. It would be the correct way of going about it, but then if you so called took care of the problem you would be the first person they would come looking for, "for shooting their so called house pet". unless the neighbor were a family friend I wouldn't tell them anything. So what if Fido didn't come home from his evening running of deer. The coyotes got ahold of him, big deal, if you know what I mean.

I remember one year, i was in my bow sand and had two dogs, I knew who's dogs they were and didn't really care for them. This was the second time I had seen them running deer, the first time I let them know I was there, this time I let them know who was boss out in the woods. Need less to say little Fido and Cujo didn't run anymore deer. They were nicely disposed of in a ravine out in the middle of no where.

So, if I were you, "whoops, I missed the deer and fido just happened to be standing in the way"

As for those warderns and park official, it sounds like they should have never held a position when it comes to dealing with Natural Resources.

My 2 cents worth! Good Luck

OLETOM

Unfortunately I doubt that a lot of people care if there dog is chasing deer, but If they are chasing deer then they are probably menacing cattle as well and then legalities can play more of a role. Are there laws against domesticated dogs killing deer? I don't know of any. I agree with OLETOM and I didn't see a thing
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Baker (edited 03-27-2002).]

First I'm dealing with people out in the sticks in S.E. Iowa. I owm the property bordering them.
Sencond, I would probally live there myself if they would pay me the same wage down there.
They live in a trailer and probally have 5 or 6 dogs.
They have already asked if I have shot one of there dogs when one came back bloody.( I have not yet by the way)
My biggest concern is that I take my five year old down camping and hunting with me year around, I don't think I can take the chance of not shooting them.
My concern is should I warn them first. My gut feeling tells me I should keep my mouth shut and just make sure the dog does not make it home.
They are not hunters, so I know the dogs are not kept for that reason. I have never seen any collars on the dogs.
I doubt the dogs have had any shots of any kind.

Bowdude,
My feeling on this whole thing is; you are starting to worry about your kids. If that's the case, do WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO!! Trust me I speak from a little experience. A couple years ago my brother bought a new house (acerage), the 1st time he took me to look at the new place 2 dogs came running up to us. No big deal. My 3 year old niece got out of the car and said "cot" (that's how she pronounced my name) I went to pick her up and the neighbor's dog freeked! Not towards me but towards her!! I picked her up and told him that if that dog EVER came near her again I WILL SHOOT IT. Well guess what, a couple weeks went by and this damn dog showed up, growled at me (not a problem) and then at my niece. That was the last VOCAL sound that dog ever made. AND I've never seen another one of his dogs over a my bro's place since.

Bottom line is, do you feel safe with these dogs around?

So is it perfectly legal to shoot a dog that strays onto your property, or does it have to pose a threat to your family or animals?

Kat, from how it was explained to me by a peson with a badge:

If there is no collar or tags: =Dead=

Should upon the act you find a collar, make sure said collar goes by-by.

This is the same for all cats.

I made several calls about this last fall after some dogs got into one of our farms and chewed the ass out of my dads deer.

My brother-in-law, big dude, big gun, sheriff, replyd when I asked him about legalities involved said: "It's still alive? Why?"

When I passed that along, my sister proclaimed: "DEAD DOG WALKING" We held a family lotto to see who got the pleasure!

No Collar to be found.....

collar = banded =)

of course you don't call in the numbers and if you do you definately won't get a certificate saying where the cat/dog was banded and who did it. If they're non collared BOWDUDE and they're aggressive make sure they don't get back up if you do anything. Sounds like some hillbillies who could care less about the laws to me, be careful with whatever you do, either that or give me a call, target practice is always appreciated!

Hillbillies???? Not in the Council Tuckey Area where we live!

We are high tech red necks with indoor plumbin and everything!

Like I mentioned in my previous post: You land=No collar=problem solved.

My cousin farms in Linn County. Many years ago his neighbors raised Norwegian Elkhounds. He would see them roaming his pasture stirring up his sheep. He warned them and about a month later shot one. The dog owners were mad but understood, that was a rarity. A few years later he shot a doberman belonging to another neighbor. Unfortunately that dog made it home and died on its front porch. The neighbors raised a big stink, but there was nothing they could do except leash or pen their other dogs. My cousin has shot lots of dogs since then, even has a few shock collars. No remote controls, just the collars.

Last fall I found two chocolate labs roaming my hunting ground, they were digging up gopher holes and just messing around, not chasing deer. I tried calling who I thought the owner might be and struck out. Next day I drove by a house and saw the dogs in a front yard. I pulled in and talked with the guy, he was building a kennel and it wasn't finished yet. His problem was the pup would lead the mother dog astray. Nice guy but he was warned some hunters aren't as nice as me.

Matter of factly, when I first saw the dogs, the uncollared pup looked like it needed a home ; )

while bow hunting this year i was rattling a lil bit, and blowing the grunt tube, and all the suddent a big black lab starts comming up the deer trail, i thought it was a big deer comming, couse i couldn't see it yet, but it was only a dog. then he spots me and starts barking. so their went my hunt. I was so pissed off i was about ready to shoot the dog and put my tag on it.

Top Bottom