Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Done early this year.

Jmac0501

This fall has been a blast. Got to see both boys successful during youth season. Had a couple of great encounters with my older son. He'll remember those sits for a long time, even though he didnt harvest those deer. Both boys made great ethical shots. Deer we're dead on their feet.
Shot a doe last weekend. She went down in 20 yards and in sight.

Took a half day off work on Friday to go hunt.
I don't have a great stand for a west wind, but one that is marginal.
Snuck in around 3 pm. Stumbled onto my son's Leatherman he lost during his hunt, so he was excited.
Sit was pretty quiet. Watched some turkeys feeding up the creek.
Had a pair of wood ducks land on the creek. Heard a flock of specklebelly geese to my west.... But wasn't seeing any deer.
5:30 I saw a fawn disappear into standing corn.
6:35. Buck making a rub. Where is he? 45 yards behind a big tree. How on Earth did he get there without me seeing him?
Finally got a good look at him and figured he was 3.5. decent size body.
I decided if he presented a shot, I was taking it. I've got a work trip out of the country Nov 3-10, so this weekend was my last good chance to hunt.
I got turned in the stand so I could make the shot. He worked my way. 30, 20, no shot. Turning to walk straight away. I got him to turn quartering away hard at 25 yards.
The arrow was on it's way as I envisioned the path through him.
Entered just ahead of his hind leg and should have come out about at his front leg.
Mule kick and he was off. I always fear them dropping into the creek from this stand. It's at least 20 ft down.
I watched him slow to a walk, then back end get wobbly as he laid down.
His head quickly fell to the side.

I collected my things and went to find the arrow before I lost all light.
No arrow, no blood, no hair. But I knew he was down.
Headed after him and found one spot of blood on his trail.
He was stone dead where I'd seen him stop.

I could see the nock of my arrow sticking out of him as I approached. No wonder I couldn't find the arrow and hardly any blood. There was no exit.

I hate field dressing with an arrow still in there. I couldn't get the arrow back out at first either. It had the liver and right lung pinned in place.
It had popped through the ribs, and then ran into the front leg.
Glad to have a UTV to get close when I have to drag by myself. The rest of the weekend I could relax and enjoy some family time.
As soon as I get back from that work trip, we'll be chasing some longtails!

8aef4889478232974e4a511852c8712f.jpg
b7f9371e7d67ff8c31e4a12917b35761.jpg
920c9400fe22d7782af016ca4a7d26c5.jpg
26083e1d1305afe3b1f2a7513264ab5c.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom