Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Double wide

JNRBRONC

Double Wide (tooth aging added)

Double wide, both in rack and body.

I went hunting on Friday afternoon, October 25. I was watching a little buck and he threw up his head and looked east. So I started watching that way and saw a decent buck headed my way through the trees and leaves. He looked very wide, kinda short tines, one brow looked forked. I decided I'd take him. I was standing, so I didn't need to try to get up, he's at 20 yards. As he goes behind a big tree, I try to draw the Bowtech Assasin I bought back in January and hit the wall, struggled to roll the cams over.

I put in extra effort, no go.

He was now past the tree, stopped in a "shooting lane"(which was natural, not a cut shooting lane). I decided to let down, then "skied" the bow (held it up over my head with the bow hand while I yanked back). I got it to full draw that way and the target buck was too focused on the little buck to catch my movement. I put the pin on his chest, he was perfectly broadside. I hit the release.

I heard the arrow smack him, he sprinted about 20 yards, stopped under the tree where the little buck had been eating. He stood there for what seemed like minutes and then he took off on another sprint to the west. As he took off, I could see his off side was drenched in blood. I waited maybe 10 minutes, crawled down; found my arrow the other side of where he had been standing at the shot.

I walked over to where he stood and there were puddles of blood all over. Even I, being colorblind, was able to blood trail him. He didn't make it 70 yards and was piled up.

His heart had two cuts across the top from where the G5 Montec did a fly by. I grabbed an antler to drag him and about fell over. He was a PIG.

Once I had him up to the shed, I looked all around for my game scale, couldn't find it. Really would have liked to know the field dressed weight on that guy. He had all his summer fat on him, hadn't been run down by the rut. His neck was huge, flowed right into his shoulders.

I cut out his lower incisors and mailed them in for cementum annuli aging. I'm thinking he is older with the mass of the beams. H1's just shy of 5", H4's just under 4", inside spread of 23". I will get the results back on or before Dec 17.

Since then, I found my game scale. I used it to check poundage on the bow, then took two turns off each limb, which the Bowtech manual says is about 3 pounds per turn. Checked it on the scale, down around 63# now. I have readjusted the sight pins for the new poundage. Used the bow for two spring turkeys and target practiced with it during the summer, not sure why I wussed it up this fall.

Got the aging results back yesterday, 5.5 years old. Posted email later in the thread but wanted to change the title, too.

Last edited:
That's a cool deer! Congrats. I pulled back on a buck this morning just for the sake of practicing drawing and aiming and it was way harder to do than when I am shooting a target. Glad you were able to make it work on the second try!

Dang Randy, you will have to turn him sideways just to get him in the house! Good one man! :way:

Top Bottom