Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dream Lake

bukket

Does anybody posting here stand to lose some hunting ground to this project? Or any other ground for that matter?

I have no ties, nor any interest in either side. I'm just curious to see if there is anybody with a dog in the fight who posts here.

It sounds like they are wanting to flood some great river bottom ground to make this thing happen.

I stand to lose a large chunk of trapping ground. I can't believe the state would allow this. Lake Panorama was built about the same way and they continue to fight silting. They have a dredge that has to run at all times when ice is out. I really don't see the land owners giving in on this one. I know some of them and farming ground in Dallas county is at a premium and it would be hard to give up good bottom ground with the grain prices of today.

Are you talking about the lake that is going to be built in Clarke County?

I dont have any hunting land but do work in the county and a guy on the City Council is my boss and heard the horror stories from that part of it.

Couple being going to loose their whole lively hood and farms from that land it is going to take thanks to immenent domain (Spelling) Crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bukket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anybody posting here stand to lose some hunting ground to this project? Or any other ground for that matter?

I have no ties, nor any interest in either side. I'm just curious to see if there is anybody with a dog in the fight who posts here.

It sounds like they are wanting to flood some great river bottom ground to make this thing happen. </div></div> I was wondering the same thing? I do not hunt the area, but use to canoe the river and fish for smallmouth along that area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteveO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Couple being going to loose their whole lively hood and farms from that land it is going to take thanks to immenent domain (Spelling) Crap. </div></div>

The news report from last night had a few soundbites of the developer that wants to do this project. He stated flat out that they didn't intend to use the power of eminent domain to obtain land. It will be interesting to see if they stand by that statement down the road.

The money behind the development is from out of state, and at this point being kept hush-hush.

4000 surface acres of water would be a huge puddle.

My dad would be ashamed of me for asking this..but how many square miles is 4000 surface acres. I'm an outsider looking in and thinking, 4000 acres isn't much of a lake, is my math that far off?

O.K..he wouldn't be ashamed of me, that's what I thought. Can I assume landowners will be reimbursed for the flooding.

Saskguy- I think the whole state is something like 3.6 million acres so in the big scheme of things not much area lost.

I know several landowners in the affected area, and I believe that there are going to be a large number of the 240 landowners whose land is not for sale. One landowner friend of mine talked with almost 50 of them, and all said they would not sell. Granted, when big $$ get waived in front of them, some are going to re-think that. But, even with the large financial backing that this project has, I don't think it will go forward in it's current plan, if at all.

My friend spoke with a couple of legislators who told him that Iowa law will not allow forced land sale for private projects. And the investors don't want to bring the government in, because that would mess up their development plans. For those who are interested in the hydro-electric dam they plan to build - it will not be able to export electricty. They plan for it to create enough for the new housing - 5000 lots are planned at this time.

I hope this project takes a quick tumble, but I suspect that they have a plan B, C, and even D. Guess we'll have to see what happens in the next couple months or so.

Wow! Am I really this far out of the loop being up at school! You ask whether anyone has lost ground due to this; I would lose some of my best hunting ground if this lake was built. I guess I wasn't even aware of the proposal.

CamoMan .... I hope you are right. Lakes have their place and purpose, but I'd hate to see such beautiful country flooded up. Urban sprawl has already taken a lot of my hunting ground, and I'm sure eventually it will overtake a lot of the ground I grew up on, but I'm not ready to lose it yet. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

I am personally not affected, but feel for those who potentially could be.

I have no idea why such a humanly selfish project would be proposed...it has nothing to with anything besides $$$...which is a big crock IMO. There would be more wildlife displaced than helped with the creation of "said lake". I also don't buy the hydro-electric proposal to the dam. They'd have to have some seriously efficient turbines to create enough electricity to sustain 5000 homes...especially the higher end (tons of lights, etc, etc) houses that would adorn the landscape.

Most of Iowa's lakes/reservoirs, we're created for flood control, or water reserves or for habitat reconstruction...This lake, I guess I haven't seen that same conclusion. It seems to be a "special-interests" idea to toss up some development around and walk away (most likely out of state) with a ton of money.

REALLY where is the benefit to the state? I'm failing to see it, myself.

There are other lakes like it... Panorama, Sun Valley, and some larger private lakes like Sundown. Bottom line is money talks and there are plenty of people whould love to live on a private lake with no public access. Selling the lots will be no problem, so I would just be grateful if I owned the land in that area because you are going to get a premium price for it and you can go buy something better somewhere else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turtL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">REALLY where is the benefit to the state? I'm failing to see it, myself.
</div></div>

Benefits construction companies (in short term) and property taxes (long term).

Floods land so land in other parts of state is worth more (supply and demand, benefits those who currently own land).

Take more ag land out of production so grain prices stay high (benefits farmers).

Create another wildlife haven where hunting is restricted so the deer herd swells. Hit said deer with BMW/Volvo on the way to $1M home, benefits body shops in area to dismay of Insurance Industry. Insurance Industry lobbies state legislature for more deer tags and more liberal seasons, which is moot without access. Not seeing a benefit here.

What dam project hasn't caused some "snail darter"-like eco-upheaval? Not seeing a benefit here.

This is just sad!

The mentality of some developers really makes me sick. "Let's go on and ruin some more habitat, and take some more fertile soil out of production. Let's cut down more trees for the 3,000 sq. ft. homes. Lets take more 'country' and turn it into city."

It really is all about the Benjamins to some people!

Rapid urbanization is causing some huge problems with natural resources all across the world. From habitat fragmentation, to soil erosion, the list goes on and on.

It may not be in our lifetimes, but someday, humanity is going to look back and realize that it wasn't really all about the money. Consequently, that someday will be when it's too late and our resources are too destroyed to fix.

To those of you who hunt, live, and have families in this area, I pray for you that this development does not go in. It would be a true shame to have a 'city' built upon the land that once held so many of god's beautiful creations.

Keep tabs on this project, but the latest news is that 10 to 12 Indian burial mounds in the lake area may sink or radically alter the plans. I think the developers have a huge uphill route on this on. . . . darnit. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowa1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are other lakes like it... Panorama, Sun Valley, and some larger private lakes like Sundown. Bottom line is money talks and there are plenty of people whould love to live on a private lake with no public access. Selling the lots will be no problem, so I would just be grateful if I owned the land in that area because you are going to get a premium price for it and you can go buy something better somewhere else. </div></div>

What makes another piece of ground better than this one? Just think about some of these long time family farms... Not everything is about money. Just because you may be able to buy more property out of the deal doesn't mean you want to give up your homeland. Just a thought.

Re: Dream Lake plans scraped

Developers scrap 'Dream Lake' proposal in Dallas County

By JARED STRONG • REGISTER STAFF WRITER • April 11, 2008

Developers have scrapped their plans to create a massive series of lakes in Dallas County.

WestWolf decided to withdraw the proposal after the Dallas County Conservation Board voted Tuesday to reject a land swap with the company.

“Basically what that means is that we are no longer pursuing the original lake,” developer Jake West said. “We’re looking at our options and possibly other locations.”

The WestWolf company originally wanted to dam the South Raccoon River just west of Iowa Highway 169 to create the lakes, the largest of which would have occupied about 3,300 acres. Roughly 5,000 residential lots were included in the plan.

The “Dream Lake” proposal was pitched as a massive, eco-friendly development and tourist attraction that would have included a golf course and 59-acre island, among other features.
Advertisement

West said it’s possible that he and partner Scott Wolfswinkel will propose a smaller development in Dallas County.

“They still aren’t telling us very much,” said Julie Turner, a Dallas County resident who is part of a group of landowners that opposes any WestWolf proposals for the area.

Until WestWolf drops all their plans for Dallas County, Turner said she and others will continue to circulate petitions and maintain a Web site – nightmarelakeiowa.org – to reinforce their opposition.

Top Bottom