Dried Venison

Discussion in 'Food Corner' started by Ishi, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

Dried Venison

Growing up mom always had dried beef in the fridge but with the high price for it now (10-13$ a pound ) it not feasible to buy.
    I scoured the web and found a recipe and the gentleman has been very helpful with info.
    I feel its a must try cause the results are so good. Just save some backstraps or roasts for the cook.
    Recipe
    1 TBS Morton Tenderquick per pound of meat
    1 TBS Brown Sugar per pound of meat, it’s that easy!
    [​IMG]
    Weight the meat and apply the required amount of TC evenly then apply the Brown Sugar and place it in a ziplock bag. Place the meat in the fridge 37-38 degrees optional curing temps.
    I’ve done three batches and I like the meat to be no thicker then 2 1/2-3 inches. Let it cure for 8-9 days and flip the bag daily.
    After curing rinse throughly under the faucet. I don’t even bother doing a test fry now as it perfect for my liking.
    Dry with paper towels the best you can and sprinkle CBP on the meat.
    Place in fridge for 1-2 days uncovered to dry the meat out.
    [​IMG]

Smoke low and slow until it hits 150-160 IT. After the smoke allow the meat to cool then wrap in plastic and let it set for 1-2 days in the fridge.
    [​IMG]
    Slice and enjoy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

D13DCBC5-2E1D-46AA-888B-8D08690594D9.jpeg
    I personally like this better then Pastrami or jerky.
    Made these Sammie’s on the grill.
    Cheese Wiz, finely chopped onions, and Dried Deer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wrap them in tinfoil and warm them up in the oven or grill. It makes for excellent sandwiches or chipped deer gravy on biscuits or mashed tatters.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    2.5YR8, Broot, goatman and 2 others like this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. bwese

bwese Active Member

looks very tasty. Thanks for sharing

4. fatboy

fatboy Well-Known Member

I dated a gal whose dad owned a locker, the main reason I stayed with her as long was her dad made dried beef, so it was free. :D:D:D

5. Jmac0501

Jmac0501 PMA Member

This looks like I'm going to have to try it. Used to have some made at a locker in NW Iowa.

What is the CPB that you sprinkle on?

6. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Well-Known Member

Looks awesome, I love dried beef/venison during hunting trips.

7. Browtines#1

Browtines#1 New Member

May I ask what the CBP is that you sprinkle on after the 8-9 days with the tender quick & brown sugar ??

8. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

^^^ Course Black Pepper :)
    The TC and sugar is all that’s needed to dry cure meats. You can put other spices in during the cure if you want to.

The sugar tones down the saltiness of the meat. If you like it more salty decreases the sugar or increase the sugar for more sweetness. Keep notes on your cure so you can adjust on the next cure. If you make this once guaranteed you will make it again.

Curing can be a slippery slope if not done properly and you can get sick from it. Cure has nitrates and to much is unsafe so follow the directions with the proper amounts of cure for the weight of the meat.
    Give it time to cure properly and make sure your fridge is at optimum temps.
    I always cut into the center of the meat to make sure the cure penetrated to the middle. The middle should be a bright pinkish red color.
    There are two ways to smoke meats. One is cold smoking and the ambient temps are much lower (90-120 degrees) and can take up to 24 hours for the meat to reach 100-120 IT. If using the cold smoke method and the meats not cured properly bad things can happen.
    I’ve been doing the Hot Smoked method. I set the pellet grill at 180 degrees and bring the meat up to safe temps before pulling it off the grill so the bad things hopefully won’t happen.
    Just follow the basic rules and you’ll be enjoying your cured meats.

Broot likes this.
  9. Jmac0501

Jmac0501 PMA Member

Gave this a try and it hit the smoker this weekend. Oh My.... I can't believe I haven't done this before, but this is a crazy good recipe. Had to get it in the freezer or it would be GONE. Not too salty, not too sweet. Kids wanted to make sandwiches for their lunch for school. I wouldn't let them.... They can help make it next time.
    I just did a couple of lbs this time, but I will be finding a few roasts to do this with again very soon. Thanks for the recipe Ishi!

Ishi likes this.
  10. Gundog

Gundog PMA Member

Can you take a roast that has already been frozen, thaw it out and do this with it?

11. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

Yes you can! I probably won’t get around to making any till next summer.
    Thaw it out in the fridge and once its thawed then you can start the magic.

12. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

Sorry:oops: I didn’t see your post ( to early in the morning)
    Dried Venison will bring out the selfishness in a person real quick;)

13. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

[​IMG]

I involuntarily licked my computer screen.

Ishi likes this.
  14. crietveld

crietveld Member

You can speed up the cure time by injecting the meat with a stitch need. It is a long needle with a bunch of holes in it. The directions we use is 7 days in the fridge after injecting the cure and coating the outside. Then in the smoker at 135 degrees with no smoke for 12 hours, then 160 with smoke for 2 hours then 180 until the internal temp is right.

We use the sirloin tip roasts, my buddy calls them football roasts because of the shape.

15. StickersNKickers

StickersNKickers Camo Up!

I have a loin roast in the freezer that needs something done with it. Was thinking pastrami...maybe it will turn into dried venison instead!

Broot likes this.
  16. StickersNKickers

StickersNKickers Camo Up!

Loin is in the fridge curing as of last night. Will try to post results when it's done!

17. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

Please do!! Your going to love this stuff
    Side note I have received PM on where to get Tender Quick. Fareway has it and I think I’ve also seen it at HyVee.

18. muddy

muddy Administrator

So it cures in back strap form? Slice AFTER 7-8 in fridge?

19. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

Yes if meat isn’t over 3 inches thick which most back straps aren’t that thick.
    Cure for 7-8 days, rinse meat well under faucet. Let meat dry for one day in fridge uncovered then smoke meat to 155-160. Let meat cool then wrap in Saran Wrap for one day in fridge then slice and enjoy

20. muddy

muddy Administrator

I think I'll try this with LilJon. His inner loins were not very tender, guessing the backstraps will be similar. An electric smoker should work as well? How long a smoke as I don't have a great remote thermometer

21. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

Yes the electric will work fine. I smoke at 180 degrees at that temp figure at least 5 hours but keep checking the meat. The meat can stall after 5 hours to get to temp if that happens I turn the heat up to 200 degrees to finish it off.