Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Drive by long beard

meyeri

PMA Member
Decided to head out to a spot after work yesterday and as I was driving down a lane I could see a couple Tom's and some hens along a tree line. They spooked, but I kept on driving till I rounded another woodlot where I could park. Figured they wouldn't go far so I threw on the camies, grabbed my gun and pack and started sneaking. Got to about 50 yds from where I spooked them and sure enough I see a white head popping up 100 yds off in the CRP from time to time. I crawled till I got to a clump of trees along the edge and called till I got their attention. In less than 10 minutes they were headed my direction and at 25 yds I figured they were close enough. I kinda went back and forth on which one to shoot and eventually settled the bead on the neck of the closer one. The magnum turkey load walloped him good and he did the drop flop. Super fun hunt and one of the quicker ones I've been on.

He was a lightweight at 19 lbs, 10" beard with just over 1" spurs. When I was cleaning him I found what I thought was a BB in his breast. Ended up being a thorn or some other infected foreign material and I about tossed my cookies when I cut it out. Meat wasn't gangrene, but man did it smell bad; I made sure to trim around it good just to be safe.
0ad4aedcdf33bc8d2b3792da8db072a3.jpg
6b4a63c0cb971831d647b3023d140e3e.jpg
cd586a09a01ecda114844d90719c6a6d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom