Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DSD Jake with redhead remote strut stake

rutnstrut

PMA Member
Here is a quick and easy way to make the redhead remote strut stake work with a DSD Jake decoy. I went to Lowe's and got a nylon hose barb and a small hose clamp.

I started off by cutting about 6" off the threaded end of the decoy stake so that the decoy wouldn't sit a mile high on top of the new remote stake... I cut the threaded end off because there is a small notch on the other end that fits into the coupling on the motor box.

View attachment 2944

Then I took the hose barb and just pushed it onto the decoy stake hole/tube. It is a real tight fit on mine so I didn't use any glue in case I decide later to use the original stake again. You could glue it on if you're worried about it, I'm sure it would be easy to drill the hose barb out if you decided to go back to the original DSD stake.

View attachment 2943

View attachment 2945

Then I took a razor blade and cut a notch in the hose barb to allow it to be clamped down easier.

View attachment 2946

Then I used the small #4 hose clamp to tighten the stake inside the hose barb... This allows you to slide the decoy up the stake if you want it to sit higher and also no permanent changes have been made to the decoy itself so if you don't like it or decide to do something different you're only out a few bucks.

View attachment 2947

Last edited:
View attachment 2948

Then I just hit it with a quick shot of flat black spray paint

View attachment 2949

Here's a quick video of it together and working... I've witnessed this setup be the demise of a few gobblers already this spring, even watched it pull a gobbler away from 2 hens to come put a whooping on it but got shut down when some lil fella put an arrow through him.

http://youtu.be/6ADeWmLICUQ

I'm not sure if this retro fit will hold up forever maybe the hose barb will loosen in time but it's held up to some pretty good wind and a few turkey beat downs So far and its still going strong

Last edited:
Dang brother, I just wrapped duct tape around the stake until it fit snug into the decoy. Works great. I like your method as well!

Just fyi the id of these fittings vary so pay attention when getting them if they will work without modification. The Watts brand have a thicker wall and would need drilled out ( I just found out) if they are to be used.

Top Bottom