Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dwarf oaks

loneranger

Sorry I am sure this has been addressed already and if so you can direct me to the past. But I have several dwarf Chinkopin oaks bearing acorns now and I got to thinking, I can pick some of these acorns and start my own new trees. But do they have to go through some cold first? Can I just stick some in pots and grow them inside? Thanks

I got my dwarf ckinkapin acorns bit i didn’t realize that they would already be sprouted. I was planning to grow them in pots so what would you all recommend putting them in? Peat moss or any specific type of potting soil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was reading on the internet about planting acorns. I worried if I put them in the ground now they would sprout and send up a shoot this fall and I.d have to protect them already and fence and stuff I don't want to do now. But I read they are supposed to just send out roots until the ground freezes. It is so warm yet bet they will grow underground. Least that is what I read. They send up a shoot above ground in spring. So I went out and dug up some sod,,shook it out ,,turned over the soil, and planted them about 2 inches deep in my field. See what happens I guess...

I planted 48 of the acorns 2” deep in various containers. I mixed 50/50 potting soil with peat moss. I have a at least 150 more.
I sure hope this works
IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

Why not plant them outside?

I planted a few of these to transplant next spring. These being at my house will give me an idea of when to check the others for sprouting in spring. I have plenty more to plant this weekend in their final destination. I ordered a pound and a half; I bet I only use 20% of what was in the bag. Easily over 200 acorns, so I have my work cut out for me .

Hopefully there's some left. I've got a nice 2.5 acre plot I'm thinking of planting some apples in next spring as well and they would go in great.
50aa2edab48618fc94c734af536d896e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My go to is fall planting in their permanent locations. For sure need to put some tubes, or other protection to keep anything from finding the acorns.

Top Bottom