Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Early Season Nebraska

elscott11

PMA Member
Few buddies and I are headed to turkey hunt Nebraska in a couple weeks(late March). Hunted last year with limited success. Birds did not want anything to do with calls or decoys. Tried reaping a few groups with no success. Anyone got any tips on how to hunt birds early season in Nebraska? Calling? Decoy setup? Assuming we need to scout their early season patterns since they are all grouped up. Any tips appreciated.

It can be tough... Had my best luck just getting REAL close to them on the roost. If that didnt work then it was a matter ok keeping them gobbling and leap frogging until I got ahead of them and they worked their way to me. Very limited success calling anything in other than right off the roost and only when I was right on top of them... That early with no cover its tough to do without busting them off the roost 60-80yds out should be close enough.

Last year when I was out there they were hot one day and then shut off...Met another Iowa fella out there hunting...I ended up twisting my knee on the second day of my planned 14 day, 3 state hunt...so I ended up calling it quits early and came home with a lot of tag soup. From what I saw the days I was out there though, stay after them mid day, in the mornings the numbers game they have was crazy. But seemed like 1 pm they fired off and were ready to answer calls, they just wouldnt jump the ravine for me.

Top Bottom