Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

EHD/blue tongue

bwese

I just got off the phone with my local CO discussing wanton waste of deer with depradation tags(neighbor started shooting them friday night) and he told me that reports of EHD or blue tongue are starting to come into the NE game and parks offices.

Not much can be done about it but just thought I would share the info.

Not good. I wish the DNR would allow hunters to hunt the farmers ground that receive depredation tags. If the farmer is just going to shoot them and leave them lay. Might as open up their farms to all hunters. The more hunters the less deer.

Not good at all, especially this early. It usually peaks mid august- early october.

I just got off the phone with my local CO discussing wanton waste of deer with depradation tags(neighbor started shooting them friday night) and he told me that reports of EHD or blue tongue are starting to come into the NE game and parks offices.

Not much can be done about it but just thought I would share the info.

That stinks, been hunting SE Nebraska for 12 years and the population is way down already compared to 10 years ago. Blue tongue hit my spot a couple years ago so the 3.5 and 4.5 year age class is already in short supply.

Not good. I wish the DNR would allow hunters to hunt the farmers ground that receive depredation tags. If the farmer is just going to shoot them and leave them lay. Might as open up their farms to all hunters. The more hunters the less deer.

I don't agree. I believe 5 good hunters can control a section better then 25. The more people you get stomping around on a piece the less deer you will see, this is true. The reason you would see less deer is because more would go nocturnal. Although I don't think the farmers should just shoot them and leave them lay, I don't think the DNR should step in and allow ALL hunters to hunt the farmers land that receive the depredation tags. I believe there is a list on the DNR web site. If people would get off there butts and knock on some doors I believe that most farmers getting the depredation would let them hunt.

Must have some kind of crop in SE Neb,? Must have gotten rain? Farmers around me have no crop of corn for deer to eat. Beans will follow.

Mark Drury and Jay Gregorry have both found dead bucks on their fams in the last week.

Been waiting for these reports to come in, It is a big concern right now for many of us here in Il as well, We got hit hard in 2006 in Pike county and the following year in Adams- They say it is not uncommon it will hit the same area's , every 3 year's especially in area's with/ or that have repeated droughts a few years in a row- Sucks

lone ranger, Our farmers here in OToe, Cass, counties are going to raise a corn crop but it won't be a good one and beans will be nothing if we don't get rain.

One would think they take crop damage into consideration but when I talked to Kit Hams the NE big game manager he said they don't have to do evaluations on damage. The CO added that they quit doing that so they could satisfy the landowners quickly. Basically they got tired of the squeeky wheel/bitchn and just give them out if a landowner requests them. They want to please the landowners but I reminded them that I too am a landowner and now I am going to be a squeeky wheel.

When I talked to on of the shooters last night he said this year there is hardly any damage. I have counted 30 plus shots in the past 4 evenings and the shooter told me they only got one and that was last night when I was watching them. They picked nothing up and went to their truck and I met them on the road and had a cordial discussion with them.

They are not picking up any deer they shoot if they do indeed drop dead. My guess is they are gut shooting them or leaving them lay where they drop to rot. All against the regulations of depradation tags in NE. They must be utilized. In my opinion anyone shooting a deer this past week are just killing and leaving lay.

Kit Hams told me that he would talk to the person who gives out the depradation tags and relay my concerns and observations as well as talk to the CO about coming out to check for wanton waste. The CO then called me and told me that he was told that EHD had been reported in SE NE and that they would not be able to discern between deer shot and left dead and ones that died of EHD when found later so wanton waste couldn't be proven. He also told me he wasn't too excited going out to look for dead dear in this weather.

The basic lesson I took from my conversations was that the NGPC isn't going to do much to upset farmers no matter what is biologically needed.

sounds about right. I saw a buck poached on my land up in MI, one afternoon, by guys in a truck. They shot it across a field and drove off fast. I figured they would come back after dark to get it. Shot with rifle during bow season. Called a CO. He came out alright. Came to pick up the buck,,not to possibly get the poachers.

I believe I seen my first deer with EHD on my land this year, tonight. It was a doe that was walking all hunched up, with a foamed up mouth, and drooling excessively. Her two fawns were following her.
frown.png

I don't have to worry about the depradation tags now with EHD in town.*%^$^%&*(^%$&^&^*&($%

Found a fawn next to the creek- no injuries. Not saying EHD but sure seems like a good possibility to me.

Top Bottom