Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fall planted clover with rye

MN Slick

PMA Member
I planted white clover with rye last fall to establish a long term clover plot. Does anyone let the rye just run its course in this scenario rather than clipping it off? The field is on a ridge top so I’m wondering if leaving the rye to protect the clover from the scorched earth policy we seem to have every summer might be wise then clipping it off if necessary around labor day.

I can't answer your question, but I do have a question. How is your clover doing? I have some winter rye that I have just let go. It may be a brassica plot later. The rye is at least 4 1/2' tall right now. I can't imagine clover would be doing too well in there. Curious.

I think if you let the rye run its course it will reseed itself and continue to compete with the clover. I wouldn't do it if your goal is a clover plot. I just clipped some rye for the second time that was planted with clover last fall. Don't know if it was the dry fall or goofy winter but the clover take is very inconsistent. Some spots look pretty good and some look pretty sparse to non existent. I seeded it pretty heavy too... Go figure???

Your ok unless it is planted heavy. For me the winter rye is the perfect cover crop. The rye will be maturing very soon and will let sunlight through. The rye isn't like wheat. It doesn't tiller out.

I can't answer your question, but I do have a question. How is your clover doing? I have some winter rye that I have just let go. It may be a brassica plot later. The rye is at least 4 1/2' tall right now. I can't imagine clover would be doing too well in there. Curious.

I haven't seen it in about a month but will know more tomorrow and report.

Your ok unless it is planted heavy. For me the winter rye is the perfect cover crop. The rye will be maturing very soon and will let sunlight through. The rye isn't like wheat. It doesn't tiller out.

Rye and clover both sat for 20 days last fall before rain so I know the rye is sparse. I frost seeded more clover in March so hopefully something germinated.

I checked my field briefly and the clover and chicory look pretty good. Rye is about thigh high. Ultimately, decided not to clip the rye yet due to the temps and continued heat in the forecast.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The Rye also creates cover for fawns to hide them from predators, has lots of benefits. Every year I have Doe's beading in it with newborns .... :)

Last edited:
I know very little about cover cropping, I have a plot along the outside perimeter of my corn and bean food plots that I would like to establish clover into. my thought was to do a fall plot this fall and then frost seed clover in January. Or should I be fall seeding clover with rye?

Fall seeding clover with rye is the way to go. Check out both the clover thread and cereal rye and cover crops in Dbltrees's corner at the top of the management section.

I'm rereading the cereal grains thread right now and am blown away by the info Paul has provided. Thanks again Paul!!!

I know very little about cover cropping, I have a plot along the outside perimeter of my corn and bean food plots that I would like to establish clover into. my thought was to do a fall plot this fall and then frost seed clover in January. Or should I be fall seeding clover with rye?

Certainly plant both the rye and clover this fall. Won't see much for clover (if at all) this fall, but it will pop in the spring. I did this exact thing last fall and my clover plot is looking very nice this spring.

Top Bottom