Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Field peas

bowhuntr311
After discussing some things with my hunting partner we have elected a spot on some new hunting ground that we can put food plots into. Peas have been on my mind since last summer.

With planting in Mid-Late July, what about moisture??? I am always scared to plant anything in Mid summer becuase it seems like from July 10th on we dont get any decent rains till End of August. Just hot dry sun.

How much moisture do you think peas will need. More less than clover or rye or rape?

Dean

The ISU tests were done to show that Field Peas could be double cropped with wheat and here in SE Iowa where we have a longer growing season it can work out great to plant them mid to late summer.

In your area however I would plant the peas in early spring just as our Canadian friends do and the deer will feed on the dried peas later in the fall.

Plant them the same time you would plant oats in your area and you won't have to worry about moisture problems.

Here's a few more links on Field Peas:

N.D. Field Peas

Wisconsin Field Peas

More field peas

Last edited:
Nannyslayer is going to help me out with some field pea testing this year but I think for best results in having fall feed I will plant them mid-summer.

Field Peas in Iowa

Field peas need to flower in cool weather so they either need to be planted in very early spring or in mid summer so they will flower in early fall.

I'm thinking I will plant some buckwheat and then till it under to plant peas in July. I also wonder about adding a light mix of oats with the peas to give deer something to forage at first.

Deer didn't seem to eat the peas (when green) I planted last spring compared to the soybeans which they literally killed.

Note in the article the cost of planting peas is much less then most other crops. I think Rob and Jason planted them with sorghum if I'm not mistaken.

I'm also unsure if deer will immediately learn to eat the peas when they dry? Perhaps like some don't take to brassicas at first?

Sure would be nice to plant something that they will leave alone until October...

Last edited:
dbltree-
I've looked, but have been unable to find anything. How did the peas work out for you last fall? Did the deer let them mature? Or did they even mature?

Originally Posted By: timekiller
dbltree-
I've looked, but have been unable to find anything. How did the peas work out for you last fall? Did the deer let them mature? Or did they even mature?

I planted them with oats in very early spring (like about this time of year) and they did great at first but then my wife ended up in the hospital and I didn't get to even look at them for almost 3 months. When I did everything had grown into a giant mess of ragweed.

I could have used some weed control or clipped the tops of the weeds or just about anything but...it wasn't to be. I planted them in small test plots that had never been tilled and it released a "hundred" years worth of weed seeds...

Barring any unforseen disasters I hope to have better results this time. I also hope planting them mid summer will help with the weed problem.

Last edited:
I am going to give these 4010 field peas a test here in Southern Wisconsin;Last month I drove to Welters to pick up seed and that was one of my items on my list. If they are half as good as soybeans late season that will be dynamite.

Doubletree is correct, we did plant them in about a 2 acre plot with forage sorghum last year. The plot alos had some sunflowers in it. The peas grew great and really climbed up on the sorghum and sunflowers. They produced alot of forage but were not browsed as heavily as we thought they might be. I think, sometimes it just takes them a little time to figure out that they want to eat them.

Later in the year, in late October alot of the sorghum got blown over in a wind storm, this took alot of feed to the ground. After it was covered with snow, and the deer not being as picky about what they ate, they dug through the snow to get at the sorghum and peas beneath it.

We are planning the same type of planting this year, about 7 acres in total with the biggest field being about 3 acres. We liked them enough to give it another shot!

Jason

I've said if before and I'll say it again......field peas here, are absolutely dynamite after they've matured and there is no green growth left, absolutely dynamite. I wish I had enough bare ground on my property to plant some of them.

we did plant them in about a 2 acre plot with forage sorghum last year. The plot also had some sunflowers in it. The peas grew great and really climbed up on the sorghum and sunflowers. They produced alot of forage but were not browsed as heavily as we thought they might be. I think, sometimes it just takes them a little time to figure out that they want to eat them.

Sounds like a great "wildlife combo" for sure! I'm thinking the same thing that in some cases deer might not use them heavily at first but I suspect eventually they will be awesome late season feed.

If you have any other information that might be helpful such as fertilizer and herbicide used (if any) that would be helpful to all those curious about peas.

I think the sorghum combo is excellent but I'm trying to stay away from the need for nitrogen...

Last edited:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you have any other information that might be helpful such as fertilizer and herbicide used (if any) that would be helpful to all those curious about peas.

I think the sorghum combo is excellent but I'm trying to stay away from the need for nitrogen... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif </div></div>

The photos below are from the foodplot you and Jason are referring to. The first is from the middle of August, the second is from the end of September.

August 07
flood007.jpg

September 07
DSC04002.jpg

The foodplot above was a two acre field drilled in mid-May with 5 lbs of forage sorghum, 5 lbs of sunflowers, and 50 lbs of black audry cowpeas. The field was planted to sorghum the previous two years and burned off each spring before planting. No fertilizer or lime has ever been applied to the field. Three days after drilling the seed we sprayed round-up.

The cowpeas we planted were a forage type cowpea that vines aggressively and the sorghum and sunflowers were planted for the vines to grow on. Two things I liked about the plot is how green it stayed into the fall (thru most of October) and how it provided tall (7-8ft) edible hiding cover into the hunting season ... the deer usage really peaked in October ... if you look close at the second photo you can see where they have just started to nip leaves off. Like Jason said that could also be do to the theory that our deer needed to develop a taste for them. Sunflowers have gone through the same transition on our property ... the first year the deer used them a little and now they eat them before they get a chance to develop heads ... that's why you can't see any in the photos.

I really liked the results of this plot, and think it could fit well into a legume/grass rotation that may elliminate the need for fertilizer, but I did not intend to post anything on them for another year ... from what I saw last year this type of cowpea in our area is extremely competitive and I hope they don't reseed themselves. Paul you know how I feel about introducing invasive problems and before I encourage others to plant what we did I would like to see if they come back.

I really liked the results of this plot, and think it could fit well into a legume/grass rotation that may elliminate the need for fertilizer, but I did not intend to post anything on them for another year ... from what I saw last year this type of cowpea in our area is extremely competitive and I hope they don't reseed themselves. Paul you know how I feel about introducing invasive problems and before I encourage others to plant what we did I would like to see if they come back.

I hear you Rob...the cowpeas are a little different then the field peas but very interesting if they don't become invasive.

I'm even more interested in "sustainable" foodplots without the need for high cost inputs.

Keep us posted! :)

Last edited:
I'm still learning about field peas but one thing that is important is that they peas need to flower in cool weather which is why one plants them very early spring or mid summer so they flower in the fall.

The wet spring didn't allow for early planting so I planted a couple bags the other day and saved two bags for a later summer planting.

"Life happens" they say and last springs attempt didn't work so well just because other things were going on, but hopefully this time I can moniter progress and see how they do.

I planted forage peas from nannyslayer which were priced very reasonably compared to Welters, so check with Brian if you decide to try any field peas.

FieldPeas-3.jpg

I mixed them 50-50 with forage oats also from nannyslayer. This is a common mix to use for cattle grazing or for "oatlage".

ForageOats.jpg

I used a spreader to seed them which takes a little "by guess and by gosh" adjusting to get the amount right. :D

Adjustspreader.jpg

I put in the peas...

FieldPeaSeed.jpg

added a dab of water and pea inoculate from Welters...

Peainoculate.jpg

Then mixed in oats...

OatsandPeas.jpg

We double disced the ground first, broadcast the seed on and the ran the tiller down (but off) and the cultipacker over it to cover the seed and firm it in. The loose disced soil covered the seed well when we ran the packer over it.

Tillnpack.jpg

Unlike small clover or alfalfa seed peas and oats can be planted deeper.

I'm trying to use some type of legume in all of my plantings, so that not only does it not require nitrogen but it will also fix nitrogen that can be used to some extent by the following crop.
Peas are one of those crops with great potential, providing a lowcost, low input food source for late season hunting.

In this case I'm hoping the oats will provide forage at first and also act as a weed inhibiter. I will just see what happens...I may have to kill the oats and weeds with a herbicide later...or the deer may just mow them all off to the nubs...

stay tuned...:)

Last edited:
I'm still learning about field peas but one thing that is important is that they peas need to flower in cool weather

Very important point. My father seeds a couple hundred acres of field peas or lentils each yr among other things and if they're flowering when it's smoking hot...expect production to be down b/c of "blosson drop".

By the way..I wish like hell I had your equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
if they're flowering when it's smoking hot...expect production to be down b/c of "blosson drop".

That's what I figured...and if you think it gets hot up there, you can't even imagine what is like here mid-summer

I also planted some Austrian Winter Peas in another mix so I'm curious to see if deer eat the foliage of one over another?

I'm hoping they leave the field peas alone until they actually make peas...dang things like to eat me outa house n home round here... :D

Last edited:
Here are some pics of my field peas and forage oats as of June 1

Peanoatgrowth6-1.jpg

They seem to be growing good...

Peagrowth06-1.jpg

A few have been nipped but so far nothing has been decimated...

Nippedpeas.jpg

Like everything else I'm hoping that the forage oats will keep em busy and let the peas grow...

FieldPeasnoats6-1.jpg

I tried to plant the oats fairly thick and they are a grazing type so hopefully they will provide a distraction for now.:)

Forageoatsnpeas6-1.jpg

If they don't flower well because of heat this summer I'll till them under and plant a second patch in July so that they will flower in cool weather.

They are side by side with the RR soybeans so that will be interesting to watch as well.

soynpea.jpg

Those peas look mighty tasty compared to the soybean plant...but what do I know, I prefer steak...it's what's for dinner!:D

Last edited:
I have a feeling you just planted a deer's version of ice cream with chocolate sauce.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

How large of a plot is it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Field Service</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a feeling you just planted a deer's version of ice cream with chocolate sauce.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

How large of a plot is it? </div></div>

I planted roughly 1- 1/2 to 2 acres in split plots with RR soybeans in the middle and alfalfa on the outside edges. The entire area is 6 acres not including several acres of clover and adjacent alfalfa and crop fields.

This runway is headed straight for the "ice cream" however, so it will be well tested... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

6-180runway.jpg

This is another link to growing field peas:

Field Pea - production and management

Field pea progess as of June 28:

FieldPeaHt.jpg

They are starting to flower but because we are getting into the heat of the summer, the pods may not fill well if at all.
FieldPeasflowering6-28.jpg

This is why peas generally should be planted very early spring or mid summer so that they flower in cooler seasons.

Floweringpeas6-28.jpg

The peas seem to grow well along with the forage oats but I have no idea how much growth to expect?

Nicepea.jpg

I found some that were nipped but nothing like the beating the soybeans planted right next to them are taking.

NippedPeas-1.jpg

The peas look so much tastier to me then then the soybean plants so I am really surprised that they haven't been eaten to the ground?

If this doesn't change then field peas could prove to be a better option for high deer density areas but it's too soon to tell.

Here's a pic of a RR soybean and a field pea where they over lapped, both on June 28th approx 6 weeks after being planted

Soynpea6-28.jpg

The forage oats and peas seem to go together real well and it appeared that the peas were starting to climb the oats in some places. If you look at the oat stems you can see where they had been grazed early on leaving a stem/stalk rather then a seed head.

Peasnoats.jpg

Some peas were very pale and looked like they had not had enough moisture the week before?? We have had tons of rain but we also had a week and a 1/2 with no rain.

PalePeas.jpg

I get the feeling that peas need very fertile moist soils and cooler growing conditions while soybeans can endure dry spells and thrive in our very hot summers.

I'll be watching these spring planted peas to see if they set peas or not and will plant or re-plant another batch that will flower in the fall.

Ideally I would love to plant them mid August (ISU says late July) so that I could add oats and rye which would give me a "can't fail" combo for fall. If they flower at 6 weeks then that would mean the end of September and hopefully dried peas by late October but...I still have a lot to learn about field peas! :)

Here is more information about spring versus fall planting in SE Iowa...sounds like fall planted peas yield better then spring!

**Fawcett said they are experimenting with both spring- and fall-planted peas. He said peas in one field planted in October grew about twice as tall as the spring-planted peas, and yielded about five bushels per acre more than the spring-planted peas. He said he had hoped that fall-planted peas could be harvested a week or two sooner than spring-planted peas, but this year they both matured at about the same time.

**The above taken from the follwing link: Field peas and Pigs

Select Max (clethodim) along with 1% crop oil can be used to control grasses in field peas at 9-16 ounces per acre.

Poast (sethoxydim) can be used at 0.5 to 1.5 pt also with 1% crop oil to control annual grasses.

2008 North Dakota Weed Control Guide

Select Max Label

These herbicides will kill the oats of course oats or rye will give the peas something to climb on.

Field Pea Production in ND

From that link a few notables:

The seeding rate will depend on the size of the seed.
Field pea varieties will range from 1,600 to 5,000 seeds
per pound. A plant population of 300,000 plants per acre
or seven to eight plants per square foot is recommended.

I used inoculate specifcally for peas...whew! :D

Producers must be certain that the
inoculum product they obtain is specific for field pea.
Use of an inoculum labeled for soybean, clover or other
legume will not allow the nitrogen fixation process to
occur.

I need to check this...perhaps N levels were to low intially??

Growers should check their fields to determine if
inoculation was successful. Normally, nodules will
form on the roots two to four weeks after emergence.
To check for nodulation, carefully dig up a number
of plants and gently clear the soil from the root mass.
Nodules will be present both on the primary root and on
the lateral roots. Effective nodules will have a pink to red
coloration on their interior. If nodulation does not occur
and soil nitrogen levels are low, an application of nitrogen
fertilizer over the top may be required to optimize seed
yields. Nitrogen fixation will take place from about
four weeks after emergence through seed formation.

This is consitant with what I have noticed so far...approx 6 weeks to flowering and two-four weeks of flowering. So it seems that mid August planting might at least be possible.

Field pea is well adapted to cool, semi-arid climates.
Field pea seed will germinate at a soil temperature of
40 degrees F. Emergence normally takes 10 to 14 days.
Field pea has hypogeal emergence in which the cotyledons
remain below the soil surface. Seedlings are tolerant to
spring frosts in the low 20s and if injured by frost,
a new shoot will emerge from below the soil surface.
Flowering usually begins 40 to 50 days after planting.
Flowering is normally two to four weeks, depending
on the flowering habit and weather during flowering.

Last edited:
Good update. I am going to plant the pea's in Mid July, we'll see what happens. From what our distict manager says, planting field pea's in mid April will yield you the best return (in SW Iowa), but can be planted as late as July and still produce a pea, just not likely to yield very much.

Also Paul, is this the same field that you sprayed the Dual in last year? If it is, you may be seeing alittle bit of carry over, especially in the wetter soils, from it. It will not hurt the plant, but dual acts like a pigment inhibitor such as callisto (all thought both are different chemicals with different modes of action.) at times, so that may be what you are seeing.

is this the same field that you sprayed the Dual in last year? Dual acts like a pigment inhibitor such as callisto

Yes it is...interesting to know that it would have some carry over effect.

I also wondered about some nitrate leaching with all the rain this spring. If peas need a little nitrogen to get started they could be coming up short at first.

Think I'll check the roots and see what they look like. Field peas can get up to 30" of growth so they have a long way to go to get anywhere near that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom