Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Floating tags" observation

How about this.

You get one floating buck tag...if you want. But you have to pay say...$60 or $75 for it.

Your other buck tag can then be for any 1 season. So if you love to archery hunt you can shoot two with your bow....late muzzy...same...etc.

Landowner tags stay the same unless they want to upgrade their anysex LO tag to floating. Then it jumps to a higher number as well.

Same with Youth. You want the floater you have to pay for the upgrade.

Everyone would still be able to pay the regular amounts as they did before if they don't want to upgrade.

Same amount of tags. Just an option to upgrade for a little more. More revenue for the DNR.

Heck if you even want to upgrade a doe tag to floating pay a bit more for that.

Landowner tags, you only get one Any Sex tag and one antlerless at reduced price and an additional antlerless at full price regardless of the county Quota. So, not sure where your 4 tags are coming from.

Landowner tags, you only get one Any Sex tag and one antlerless at reduced price and an additional antlerless at full price regardless of the county Quota. So, not sure where your 4 tags are coming from.

If I read that correctly, 4 tags per farm unit available....hence 4 tags. Price is irrelevant in my initial post.

0a508701cc68900cbe4fdafe94b60425.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not just per farm unit, it's per family. Previous to this year I thought I could get an any sex farm tag and my wife could also get one on a different farm in a different county. Not the case. Limit is one anysex tag per family regardless of farm units. I didn't know that until we tried to go get her a farm tag (didn't work) and a subsequent call to the DNR.

Its not just per farm unit, it's per family. Previous to this year I thought I could get an any sex farm tag and my wife could also get one on a different farm in a different county. Not the case. Limit is one anysex tag per family regardless of farm units. I didn't know that until we tried to go get her a farm tag (didn't work) and a subsequent call to the DNR.

This is the exact reason I say it gets abused. I know for a fact that 2 people (father and son) get a total of 8 LOT tags for the 40 acres of woods they own. Just like my neighbor in town, got registered so he could shoot more deer, doesn’t own ground/farm/nothing. So back to original topic, I think LOT tags really need to be cracked down on and level the playing field, especially if floating tags were involved

This is the exact reason I say it gets abused. I know for a fact that 2 people (father and son) get a total of 8 LOT tags for the 40 acres of woods they own. Just like my neighbor in town, got registered so he could shoot more deer, doesn’t own ground/farm/nothing. So back to original topic, I think LOT tags really need to be cracked down on and level the playing field, especially if floating tags were involved

That could be legal if the son doesn't live there and manages a different parcel. If they live under the same roof, yes they are breaking the law. That's the way it was explained to me by the DNR.

I should have said "household" above, not per family.

Last edited:

Quickest way to start that crackdown is a call from you to the TIP line.

Quickest way to start that crackdown is a call from you to the TIP line.

Done it. Twice.

I think my general statement is LOT tags should just be “harder” to get. Especially if they become floatable. What’s going to stop people from being a “tenant” on wooded ground? The regs say “farming operation or conservation practice” So my neighbor is a tenant because he tells the farmers to grow corn? I’m not trying to start a pissing match, just saying it needs to get cracked down on.

Done it. Twice.

I think my general statement is LOT tags should just be “harder” to get. Especially if they become floatable. What’s going to stop people from being a “tenant” on wooded ground? The regs say “farming operation or conservation practice” So my neighbor is a tenant because he tells the farmers to grow corn? I’m not trying to start a pissing match, just saying it needs to get cracked down on.

Glad you made the calls. I agree it should be clearer who gets them.

You're definitely not wrong flugge. You won't get too much debate about it here though because I'm sure a lot if people do it.

Interesting one the 1 lot tag per family. I called years back to see if my wife out be a landowner on 1 parcel while me on another to get her the dollar turkey tag and I was told no. (I was already the "lot recipient" which I use for deerskies of course). Don't remember exactly why she said no honestly...maybe they mentioned family or 1 per tract or something

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom