Food for all day hunts

Discussion in 'Food Corner' started by Thinkin Rut, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Thinkin Rut

Thinkin Rut PMA Member

All dayers worked so good for me last year that I decided to get a pack and get a little more serious about it. Any good ideas for food for the pack or any other tips for all day? Thanks

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. nannyslayer

nannyslayer New Member

Beef jerky, peanut butter crackers, gummy bears, and a few snack cakes. Food is an area of my expertise, I eat alot of it.....

4. vman

vman Active Member

Humm, that last sentence might explain something...

5. JakeWym

JakeWym Arrow Chucker

Can't remeber the name of it, but I see someone is making soup in a can. I believe it even gets warm when you open. Might have to give some of that a go and see. I take coffee with me on almost all of my morning hunts.

6. Lwadzie

Lwadzie Lwadzie

I pack a few sandwiches and something thats not crunchy to lessen noise. I also dont put any mayo or things like that on the sandwhich to cut down on scent

7. iabwhntr

iabwhntr Active Member

I have wondered about the smell of what I eat in the stand affecting my scent control. Peanut butter, lunch meat, granola, it all smells, even to me. And then I wonder about my breath after I eat. Do I keep exhaling that all over the place? I worry about it enough to not eat when I 'm out but that makes for very long days sometimes. Any thoughts or suggestions?

8. Lwadzie

Lwadzie Lwadzie

I think it would be ok as long as its not overly smelly. If your truly concered maybe carrie some scent away gum with you? Ive nvr tried it but heard it works

9. 180class

180class Well-Known Member

Just squirt some fresh earth scent killer in your mouth when you're done eating. That will take care of your bad breath.

10. muddy

muddy Administrator

I am also an authority on proper treestand snacking techniques...

I must admit that the Pop Tart is one of the most highly nutritious snacks you can have with you in the stand, I buy the doe estrous and buck rut flavors. Other things that have brought me success in the stand are, and in no random order...

Skittles
    Kit Kats
    Snickers
    Sunkist soda
    M&Ms
    Whatchamacallit
    Vanilla Wafers
    Oreos
    Trail Mix
    Twix (both peanut butter and regular because I am not racist)
    Almond Joys
    Smarties
    Sweet Tarts
    Tootsie Rolls
    Milky Ways
    Butterfingers
    Reeses Peanut Butter cups
    Bottle of water

I am not worried about a deer smelling my snacks because they'd smell me regardless if I wasn't snacking. You can't fool a deers nose no matter what you do.

The main thing to realize is that if ONE snack doesn't brng the deer in you should always have several on hand as back up. Take my 2010 shotgun hunt for instance.

[​IMG]

As you can see, I am prepared for an all day sit that would possibly involve a zombie attack. Also notice that they're all KING SIZE, left to right Snickers, 3 Whatchamacallits, Kit Kat, Reeses PBC, Peanut M&M, and Skittles. You can even buy Pop Tarts in the King Size boxes, and that's flat manly.

If you can guess how many of those snacks made it back home that day you're probably right.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  11. gundog870

gundog870 Premium Platinum Member

Soup in a can is nothing new. FYI:way:

12. Daver

Daver PMA Member

Just a friendly FYI'er to ol' Muddy...the only healthy thing on your whole list is the bottle of water! :D Well, maybe the trail mix too, but let's just say that I wish I was your dentist! :D

Since we are talking health food though...no list of deerstand staples is complete without the salted nut roll, king sized of course! :way:

13. muddy

muddy Administrator

I haven't had a cavity in about 10 years to be honest. On the stand is the only place I snack like that, at home it's apples, carrots, and the like.

BUT, we're not talking at home around the wife, we're talking in the stand where a Snickers on a cool November morning is about as good as it gets!

14. deeraddict

deeraddict PMA Member

PB and Jelly.....

15. LYON

LYON PMA Member

Muddy - I'm pretty sure I wouldn't shoot a thing if I ate that much candy cause no deer would come within a quarter mile of me due to the sounds of my heaving. My system isn't made to hold that much sweetness. But it sure does look tasty nonetheless. I resort to granola bars, trail mix, jerky, water and mountain dew. Maybe throw in an apple. My daughter and I were enjoying some cold homemade pizza the other night while in the blind! That was great.

16. SEIowaDeerslayer

SEIowaDeerslayer Active Member

I always pack a couple peanut butter sandwiches, a couple of packs of beef jerky, and some candy bars, maybe a couple of apples. I have a gallon of water stored in my hydration bladder which is absolutely necessary when you're packing in and out as well as sitting all day.

17. Skully

Skully PMA Member

I start off the morning with a Mt Dew and a couple of cinnamon Pop Tarts.
    I like peanut M&M's as a mid morning snack then I eat a PB&J sammich for lunch. Trail mix, jerky, peanut butter or cheese crackers for afternoon snacks and I always have a bottled water along no matter what I'm doing. Apple flavored gum helps make me think I am attracting big bucks looking for fresh apples. :D

18. KnuckleDragr

KnuckleDragr Active Member

Leftover halloween candy bars! Almonds, protein bars, lunchmeat sandwich. Anything that has protein and a lot of carbs will satisfy hunger longer.

19. SCOFFIN

SCOFFIN Miles Coffin

Coffee is a must even though I'm not a hardcore coffee drinker. Knocks the chill off real good. Bite sized candy bars that I hide before we give them out at Halloween. Beef Jerky as well as the shreaded jerky chew (ya, i'm the guy that buys that stuff), and that's about it. Just enough to knock down the hunger pains when they come up, but not enough to make me have to get out of the tree and get down wind of it..

20. hoythunter28

hoythunter28 New Member

TIP: I always try to put all my food In the slide zip lock bag to lessen the noise on the candy or snack wrappers.

21. muddy

muddy Administrator

Post Halloween candy sales of bite sized is a good way to go.