Food for all day hunts

Discussion in 'Food Corner' started by Thinkin Rut, Oct 23, 2012.

1. OLETOM

OLETOM New Member

The Real Gods Country, The River Block Cntys WI
    If you need something warm, pack a thermos of soup broth with you. Water is good for me, and then the left over holloween candy works well. Some of the chewy granola bars vs the crunchy hard ones, a cheesewiz sandwich or two and i am in for the long haul. Maybe some homemade jerky but not to often. Dont like the smell left over...but maybe i will give that gum a try. Oversized gatorade bottle for pissing in, just make sure you dont grab that instead of the thermos when your thirsty. Otherwise I have crawled back down and dug a hole with my boot and pissed in then covered it up. Only to have a buck come up and smell it later. I dont think pissing out of a stand would affect them in the rut.

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. buckill

buckill Member

I always bring a thermos filled with coffee. Large bottle of water, four sandwiches, some granola bars already removed from the crunchy wrapper and placed in a plastic sandwich bag. A handful of cookies as well.
    Be sure to get 8 hrs of sleep the night before!

4. IowaChiro

IowaChiro Member

I usually just take water and and a couple apples. I do get down to go pee in the creek.

5. wapsi-bottom-BP

wapsi-bottom-BP Member

I can't believe how much food n drink people are taking to the stand with them!! I take a bottled water or Gatorade now n then, maybe an Apple or granola bar or something but usually don't eat it.. if I had as much food as some of you guys (4 sandwiches, thermos of soup or coffee, bag of candy bars, jerky, ect), I'd never see a deer because I'd be squatted next to a tree taking a dump for half of the day lol!!!!

6. Altiman94

Altiman94 Member

I'm really bad at all day sits. Usually by 11 AM I'm ready to go in, then back out in the tree by 2. As a result I'm missing some of the best time of day to hunt. But I just don't have the stamina to do it.

When I've tried usually water, a mountain dew, and some granola bars. I really do need a good solid lunch so I've tried bringing a bologna sammich. My goal for 2013 fall is to do a couple all day sits.

7. camo658

camo658 New Member

I agree with Wapsi. lol ... If I do happen to carry something, It's something light... I barely have enough room for binos, rattlebag, grunt calls etc up in the stand. Last year, I just went back to the truck and ate and then went back to the stand.

It's hard to imagine you guys eating all that sugar. I mean buck fever is bad enough, but to also be wired on sugar, man!

8. StickersNKickers

StickersNKickers Camo Up!

I take a lunchmeat sammy, a few fun size Hershey bars, bottle of water, maybe a snack cake. Celebrated shooting a management buck last year with the cake.

I think deer actually like the smell of the lunchmeat. Seems like something always shows up after a few bites into the sammy!

TIP: Use wheat bread for your sammy...blends in better than white!

9. DoneRight

DoneRight PMA Member

I found that the pre-packaged flavored protein shakes like Muscle Milk work well. They are quieter, lighter, and offer more nurishment than anything else I've found. 2-3 will hold me for all day.

10. JRudd

JRudd Aim small miss small.

Snicker bars.. peanuts..jerky.. apples.. corn on the cob.. acorns... wait a min.. nvm lol

11. KnuckleDragr

KnuckleDragr Active Member

Protein and carbs = energy and warmth

12. hillrunner

hillrunner PMA Member

I like to bring hard boiled eggs.

13. MNbuckhunter

MNbuckhunter Member

I always bring food but never eat it. I do, however, live off a thermos of coffee and a number of relief bottles.

14. patch86

patch86 New Member

Nothing but mt dew and some grizzly long cut!

15. LANDROBBER13

LANDROBBER13 Member

I can't believe you guys eat that much; two of my homemade chocolate chip,peanut butter and pecan cookies and a slug of low sugar ice tea before I leave the cabin and I'm set till dark. Stopped taking food and water because of odor and having to pee; besides, if I ate what you guys do, I'd have to sleep for two hours!

16. hoosierhunter

hoosierhunter Active Member

Pee has been proven to have no effect on deer. In fact I get my best scrape results by peeing in a scrape.

17. hoosierhunter

hoosierhunter Active Member

Now coffee and other odors like that will have an adverse affect.

18. bkcrrtnps

bkcrrtnps Well-Known Member

Only if the deer associate it with danger

19. Benelliblaster

Benelliblaster New Member

Boy, I love boiled eggs. But I think that would have my built in grunt call goin. If ya catch my "drift".

20. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Walked a farm a buddy has permission on this winter/spring and apparently a guy who hunts it too has a treestand meal of choice is a 12 pack of Budweiser! :)
    I'll load up any non-smelly snack I can into plastic baggies. A few MT D's, rockin!

21. ia.huntress

ia.huntress New Member

rice cakes. light and mostly odorless.