Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plot Contest - tflogel

tflogel

PMA Member
We effectively have 4 different food plots with 10 different products used. My oldest (Jackson) who just turned 10 has been my biggest helper and has put as much or more effort and thought into these plots as I have. He has already killed 3 deer and desperately wants a buck this year.

Perennials: We started in April/May and sprayed Roundup and cut down 3 different areas. About 1 acre in our CRP field that we split between the north and south fence so we could play the wind. In that plot we planted Briar Ridge EZ II Gro(Clover, Chicory, Rape & Rye). We then did the same for a plot along the woods that had easy access from the North/West and one with easy in/out from the South/East. In one of those we planted Biologic Clover Plus. In the other we planted 5 different samples from the Whitetail Institute (Clover, Alpha Rack Plus, Extreme, No Till & Chicory Plus). All these plots we done using a garden tractor, an ATV, a small harrow, a hand broadcaster, and racks and shovels. We have sprayed Post to help control the grasses and have cut the plots twice since we planted (Memorial day) to try and choke out the weeds.

Annuals: We followed the same process in June/July in a long winding, secluded draw to minimize current grass/weed growth. We finished planting that on Sunday (why I am so late in entering). On the skinniest part, we planted Biologic Hot Spot. In the middle we planted Biologic Biomass and on the bottom end we planted Hunters Specialties VitaRack. This draw is easily observed from a good distance away, so we have already hung our stands and intend to avoid entering this valley unless we absolutely have to until things get cranked up the end of October/early November.

We have never planted anything before and a very small project turned into a lot of work but it was extremely fun and great bonding time with my son!! We intentionally tried a lot of different products and planted at different times to try and get a feel for what would grow the best and what was attracting the deer (& when!). We have set a bunch of stands to try and intercept to/from the fields so we do not educate the big boys until it is too late for them
smile.gif

What i have learned already is that we have to figure out a much better way to control the weed infestation. We were gone for 2 weeks to Canada and have been playing catch-up ever since as the weeds went wild.

We already discussing how to maximize our perennials for next year and watching our plots to figure out what annuals to use next year and where else we can better place some additional plots.

Jackson is now eating like a horse and drawing his Genesis every chance he gets as he hopes to pull enough poundage to get one with stick and string this fall.

I have figured out how to upload my photos but have not figured out how to add them to my post (someone please help).

Thanks!
Tom

Great looking foodplots and your son looks like he's having a ball too! Don't get any better then that!
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom