Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Freaky year

goatman

I hunt days ending in Y
Ok guys I know with all the mushroom talk,trees blooming,corn planting this has been a freak year so far. Help me out on this one. Pulled the card today and this deer has been in this foodplot several times in the last two weeks. Is it a doe?
picture.php

picture.php

The blocky head and chest says no to me. It just doesn't look like a doe to me. My dad is still getting pictures of some carrying. Strange for sure.

Yeah but the deer in the pic is in velvet it looks like.

Ya it is in velvet. I would say Buck for sure. He is just a early starter. All deer are a little bit different. I have seen bucks holding as last as April 23rd and have seen bucks growing nubs as early as April 17th. Different years and different sides of the state.

I think it's a Buck, could have been de-balled and now he's just going to grow velvet for the rest of his life. Friend had that happen and he shot it in 2009. It only had 1 nut.

My guess is he was wounded, shed way early and now starting to grow already. Best question I would say ask is.........Has he grown anything since you started watching him 3 weeks ago? If yes, then he's an early bloomer, if no I'd say he is a "no nut" sorry dude. Probably lost em crossing a barb wire fence.

It has really been a crazy year, i have a doe that i have been watching cause she is getting really big (she is knocked up) and she still has her 2 fawns from last year hanging around with her, well one fawn is a buck and one is a doe and on monday i was standing within 10 yards of them (they are urban deer they dont spook if you stand still) and the buck already has 1 inch velvet nubs, is that normal?

Ok here is a picture from Mar.17. I have seen 3 to 4" of growth on bucks turkey hunting in the middle of April but not this much in the middle of March. Also last Oct. 22 I had a deer with velvet on yet. Was bigger than this one.

picture.php

So with the bucks that have already shed and are already going into velvet is it possible we could see some mega giants next year because of the extended velvet period? Or will they just hit there normal growth and stop?

It might just be my eyes but the new picture you put up does it look like he has a scar and hair missing from the front leg to his rear lower quarter?? He might have had a run in with a barb wire fence?
Otherwise 2cnd season turkey hunting a few years ago a buck walked past me and he had his browtine and part of his main beam allready established. I have also seen a buck still carrying during turkey season. His antlers were snow white.

I'm not sure if that is a doe or buck but one thing is for sure, that is not a normal buck that is just growing his antlers early. It is either a doe with antlers or a buck that has had his stuff removed. In both of the pictures, the deer is in the perfect positions that you would be able to see the nuts or hair hanging where they should be on a normal buck, or at least see evidence of it. Look at any trail camera picture of a buck in either of those positions and you can clearly see evidence that they are bucks. You can even often see evidence of their stuff, or at least the hair hanging down around that area when the bucks are in less than perfect position as they are in those photos you posted.

Last edited:
It might just be my eyes but the new picture you put up does it look like he has a scar and hair missing from the front leg to his rear lower quarter?? He might have had a run in with a barb wire fence?
Otherwise 2cnd season turkey hunting a few years ago a buck walked past me and he had his browtine and part of his main beam allready established. I have also seen a buck still carrying during turkey season. His antlers were snow white.

I thought the same thing with the scar ... didn't see it in the first pics you put up but the last one got my attention. IDK what to think...

When pulling the cards today I'm almost sure this is a young buck even if he doesn't tinkle on his tarsal glands.

picture.php

Last week I had 2 deer cross the road in front of me in town where I hunt on my way home from work at 1 am. One had a very small 6 pt rack, in velvet! Huge body so I assumed it was this years growth already.
Definitely the earliest I've ever seen one with headgear in velvet.

What is that big line going across its body?? First glance I thought it was a buck for sure...interesting story.

Doesn't look like the rack has grown an inch since March 17...don't they grow a little quicker than what the pics are showing?

What is that big line going across its body?? First glance I thought it was a buck for sure...interesting story.

Don't know what the stripe is for sure. Yep it doesn't look like it has grown any since the middle of March.

Top Bottom