Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Friday Carnage

You should be very proud of the work you did with this piece of ground. With a little moisture it should turn out great. Beautiful end result.

Nice work Bonker!! What's your "hire out" rate? With professional results like that, your phone might start ringing! :D

Great looking plot! That looks 10 times better than my ATV disc'd, humped up, irrigation ditch lookin' mess that I made, complete with grass that wasn't sprayed because my sprayer quit working on me. Man this stuff is fun!

I was definitely laughing out loud at my computer when I read the beginning of this post....quality entertainment right there.

In the end, your tiller did a great job on that jungle of weeds! As said by others, it would probably have been better to mow the weeds down first...to give the tiller a head start, but it did a great job. Plenty of "green manure" there, as Paul would say.

If I could have one day without something breaking, it would be a miracle. I catch flack (rightfully so, yes, I admit it) for breaking things. Then, I let the same guys use my stuff - I think in last month they managed to break: 2 cultipackers, a sprayer, 2 hydro cylinders, a few flat tires, bury my dually tractor & drill and blow an engine on a gator. And I'm the one that catches flack for breaking things! ;)
Looking great!!!! It'll be well worth it. Looks great. My only concern is all the weed seed stirred up from all those weeds that went to seed BUT hopefully you come outta that ok. Looks great though!

Planted Friday sprouted today?

2015-08-18_18-26-06_199_zpsjhcddflx.jpg

Well damn. I went out to look at the plot this evening. I've got as much, if not more, rye coming up than turnips and radishes. By the looks of it the rye is going to out grow the brassicas. Some of the rye is 3 inches tall already. I guess it isn't a bad problem to have but I could have saved my money and just tilled the rye under for a winter plot.

I guess this doesn't qualify as carnage but it sure isn't what I had planned.

Nice work Bonker!! What's your "hire out" rate? With professional results like that, your phone might start ringing! :D

My phone did ring, and I did answer it. To protect the caller I won't say who called because hiring me is like "dating" a fat chick; they get the "job" done but you don't want your buddies to find out. And much like some fat chicks I can be had for a beer or two.

It's going to be the blind leading the blinder.

Bonker, any plans for spring food plots? I enjoyed your friday carnage last fall!

I do have plans but I forgot what they were. And they were good plans too.

I have a plot that was cleared off a couple of years ago. Talk about carnage. A partial list of broken equipment included a crooked tractor loader frame, broken discs, sizzling slipper clutch, bent skid steer bucket and a visit from several area fire departments.

I haven't worked up that ground in a couple of years hoping all the roots rot so I don't break anything else.

Anywho, I'll be putting something in the equipment eating plot yet this spring. Not sure what or when but carnage is a guarantee.

I didn't take any progress pics of the plot last fall. I did have a lot of rye emerge but the turnips and radishes out-competed it. The deer started eating the greens very late in the fall when there wasn't anything else green to eat. They did not eat any bulbs this winter. I'm going back to back with brassicas this year just to see if they will learn to eat the bulbs.

Stay tuned, I have P&K Midwest on voice speed dial. I just turn on the smarter than me phone, tap the microphone key and say "Oh crap".

The following is a cut and paste of a post I put on another site, Green Tractor Talk. It’s a good site with lots of compact JD info. This post is under the Large Frame Compact Utility Tractor (LCUT) forum.

Well, it has been almost a year without issues with the SCVs. I don't use them very much, mainly just in the winter to angle the back blade.

Yesterday I was going to disc up a weed field. I had put longer hoses on an old pull type disc earlier this year in anticipation of needing them. The switches worked fine at that time. Yesterday the temps were in the 90s with humidity to match. No big deal, I thought it would take 5 minutes to hook up the disc and then back in the <ACRONYM>AC</ACRONYM>.

I hooked up the disc to the 3pt draw bar (the leveler on the disc was long gone so my plan was to use the 3pt to raise the tongue up to get the rear gangs in the ground) I cleaned off the couplers, pulled the plugs out of the ends and stuck in the hoses.

Imagine my surprise when I got inside the nice cool <ACRONYM>cab</ACRONYM>, shirt already soaked, pushed on the red switch and nothing happened. Disc didn't raise, engine didn't pull down, zip zero zilch. Maybe I got the hoses in the other <ACRONYM>SCV</ACRONYM> so I pushed the yellow button. Still nothing.

I got out of the nice cool <ACRONYM>cab</ACRONYM> to re hook the hoses. Got back in even wetter than I was before. Still nothing, disc won't go up or down, engine doesn't pull down, the big nada.

My next thought was shut off the tractor, unhook the hoses, turn the tractor on but not start, cycle the switches in case I was in some sort of over pressure situation, hook up the hoses and try again. Did I mention it was hot out? Do you know what happens when you shut off the tractor? Yeah, the <ACRONYM>AC</ACRONYM> stops. So I did all that, started the tractor back up and felt the air cool against my skin. I thought surely dead cycling the switches would solve the problem. Nope. <ACRONYM>SCV</ACRONYM> still not SCVing.

Now I'm hot in more ways than one. I spent (for me) a bucket full of money for this tractor and this is the second time I've had <ACRONYM>SCV</ACRONYM> issues. I don't mind things breaking IF I BREAK THEM. I got rid of all my old junk tractors because I was always working on them to make them run long enough to do whatever task I needed. Let me say it again, if I break something, that's on me. However this <ACRONYM>SCV</ACRONYM> issue isn't from me breaking it.

I sat in the <ACRONYM>cab</ACRONYM> trying to cool off in more ways than one. My next thought was to check for a fuse. I shut down the tractor and pulled the fuse cover. The diagram is in the cover itself. Imagine my surprise when of all the fuses are numbered and labeled, but there isn't one for HYD. Even if there was one marked HYD I don't have one of those little tools to pull the fuses out. (Now as I sit here writing this it dawned on me that there may have been a tool stuck in the fuse block somewhere, I'll have to go look. At that time the sweat was running into my eyes and I couldn’t see.)

My next move was to walk (with the tractor left running) back up to the shop to get the manual. By the time I got back to the tractor I had sweated out the bottle of water I drank on the way, and its only 150 yards or so. But the <ACRONYM>AC</ACRONYM> was cold as ever. I perused the manual and found the section about diverter valve switches. Now I understand the suggestion last year by Mfreund1 on the electric diverter valve. I don't have that switch but I cycled every switch I had just to be sure.

I looked back out the rear window to watch as I once again tried to cycle the <ACRONYM>SCV</ACRONYM> and contemplate my next move. My next move turned out to be a walk back to the shop again to get a can of wasp spray. I saw a couple of wasps buzzing around the disc axle lift strut. Anytime you see two wasps that close together you know they aren't talking about anything socially redeeming.

There is nothing more reassuring than grabbing hold of a large can of wasp spray and finding it to be full. I swam my way back through the humid air to the tractor. I passed up the urge to sit in the cool <ACRONYM>cab</ACRONYM> for a few minutes before I went jihad on the wasps. I did, however, open the door just in case I needed to beat a hasty retreat to the safety of the <ACRONYM>cab</ACRONYM>.

I lined up the spray nozzle with the lift strut from about three feet away and let it eat. I'm used to a couple of wasps buzzing out of whatever nook or cranny they are in after I spray but holey buckets they started boiling out of that strut like something you'd see in an old cartoon. I had to make a decision, retreat to the <ACRONYM>cab</ACRONYM> or stay and spray. I had a full can so I stayed and duked it out. By the time I was done the ground was littered with dead wasps and the strut was clogged with the wasps that didn't make out.

I went to the other side of the disc and looked down the lift strut. Looked clear, I could see all the way to the ground. But I thought I should spray anyway. So I lined it up and let it eat. Again with the buzzing hoard. I was a little concerned because I had used about half the can on the other side. I could feel the can getting lighter and lighter but still they came, wings buzzing, stingers looking to inflict enormous amounts of pain and just like that; it was over. Oh I still had just a little left in the can, but the wasps had been vanquished. The ground looked like a Mathew Brady civil war photograph.

I had solved one vexing problem but the other still existed.

My next step was to take all the electrical connectors apart and plug them back in. No change. I was rapidly running out of time and body fluids. I abandoned my quest to make the SCVs <ACRONYM>SCV</ACRONYM>. Instead of disking the weeds down I'd just mow them instead. I started unhooking the hoses when I noticed there were a few more wasps buzzing around. I once again took up arms with what little was left in the can. Forced to conserve ammo I elected to put short bursts into the air at know targets. I added to the body count until finally my ammo gone, I was forced into hand to stinger combat. I changed my grip on the can to wield it as both a club and a shield. The last wasp I could see was doing a last wasp kamikaze flight right at me. I wound up to take a mighty swing. I started my arm motion just when he fell from the sky to join his already dead comrades on the ground.

I finished unhooking the disc, hooked up the weed mower and got the job done.

So if you've stayed with me for this long here is my plan, as I did last year I'll try and switch the wires from one to the other, I'll try to figure out which fuse runs the hydraulics, I don't think this will change anything as the <ACRONYM>FEL</ACRONYM> and 3pt work fine. I'll gently tap on the valves in case they are stuck and try it again. I don't hold much hope and like I said in the beginning, I don't mind paying to fix stuff I break, but I didn't break the SCVs.

I am open to suggestion such as which fuse is for the hydraulics and another ideas you might have.

Thanks

<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p
I still haven’t given up on the idea of using the disc in tall weeds. I know it isn’t going to work well, but I just have to try. The SCV issues aren’t really carnage, the only carnage yesterday was to the wasps and the weeds. Oh, and that bunny. And the toad.

I’m going to let the weed carnage mellow out a little then if I have the SCV problem figured out I’ll use the disc. What I’m most interested in is using the 3pt to get the rear gangs in the ground. If the SCV thing doesn’t get sorted then I’ll just use the tiller.

If you have flyers after you spray you need to upgrade. Try gas that should be interesting.

How about gelled gasoline?

Naw, I don't need a visit from the FBI or Homeland Security.

Maybe this:

Naw, not enough range and the Mrs would get upset if I took her can of Aqua Net.

Hmmmmm, maybe wasp spray is flammable? What could happen? Hold my Makers and watch this.....

Top Bottom