Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

From the stand

Had a bad day as well, get in stand a bit late, stand issues caused me to be a little noisy. Had a hunter walk within 40 yards of my stand at 630. No idea wtf he was doing. @ 9 am he does it again! Then chainsaw starts behind me? Not sure what's going on but quit for day as hunting became unenjoyable! Never thought I'd say that. Called land owner, waiting on call back

Sat for 8.5 hours today. Saw the same buck twice. Then around 4:00 had a doe come in and hang around till 4:45. Said screw it and threw out a grunt with my tube. And wouldn't ya know a decent buck came in. I drew back but it was too dark for me to get a decent look/shot on him.

Today was one of the best days for me this year. Had my target buck at 12 yards but I was drawn and on the right side of the tree and he walked straight at me from 30 yards and then he went to the left side of the tree before I had a clean shot. It was so quiet all day today but the actions was great. Gonna be another good one tomorrow with the fresh snow. These next 20 days are probably my favorite.

Shot #1 today at 3:30 - crazy situation and bad shot. No deer- sick to my stomach. Will post full story tomorrow -

Just got done a few minutes ago looking again- found some blood but not much- I am fairly confident its a non lethal hit at this point

I was in my stand last night and the farmer left about 30 rows of corn standing for some reason. I could hear something running around in the corn and about five minutes later out busts a nice 10 and a doe. The action just exploded from then on (3:15 PM or so). At one time there were 4 different bucks (all shooters) dogging 3 different does and other small bucks not interested feeding in the fresh corn. This was all about 80 yards away from me. And then out of no where a doe comes running in full bore and my #1 hit list buck is on her tail. They stop broadside and I range him at 41 yards- a shot I am comfortable making. He is standing there smelling the doe perfectly broadside and has no clue I am there. I take aim and as I hit the release he hopped up to mount the doe (couldn't have been more simultaneous) and my arrow hits low and near rear leg- he runs off dogging the doe as if nothing had happened. I sit for about an hour or so in complete disbelief and disgust with the situation- mainly because I realize I just wounded this buck- and I get down to find really good blood. I wait til about 5:15 and I can still see really well but its starting to get darker- there are deer everywhere and really not caring I am walking this picked corn field. This really nice 10 pointer comes running out of the draw on a string right too me and starts circling me at about 18 yards or so- ears pinned back- hair standing up. I wasn't sure if I should get my phone out to record it or get my bow up just in case- I went the bow route because I was pretty nervous. He circled my 3 times and I finally yelled and he ran off- definitely a first for that to happen. Had I not wounded a deer that I wasn't sure was down or not- I would have easily been able to shoot this deer. I start headed back towards my car and was going to let some time pass and I looked up at the end of the field roughly 500 yards from where I shot this deer I can see this buck I just shot - blood all over back leg and he is mounting the doe again!

Talk about a weekend and hours upon hours in the stand just getting ruined- definitely a sick to my stomach feeling and little sleep last night. I feel terrible for wounding the deer and replayed this shot over and over and just cant believe the timing of the shot and him stepping up to mount a doe- I really hope he 1) makes it and 2) stays in the area

I looked again this morning and he headed back towards his small island of trees he has been living in, blood stopped not long after where he mounted the doe for the 2nd time- I am going to go hunt this Saturday in the AM and search that piece of timber mid day and see if he is there (Just in case coyotes catch up to him with a bum leg) I also put up a few more cameras this morning in the area hoping to get a glimpse of him if he comes back

He is definitely a giant and a true trophy- going to be a long Monday at work once I get back..............

Certainly sounds like a non-lethal hit to me. If his leg is good enough to mount a doe it will work well enough to keep him away from the coyotes. Hope you get another shot at him.

It was so quiet this morning. Ever heard a deer fall through the ice on a dead quiet morning? Loud!

Whoops, was going to respond to this quote as well. Yes, very loud! You would think an elephant was coming your way!

BDAHMS--Good luck. Hope you get another chance or at least get pics of him running around. I'm thinking non-lethal as well if he was still going after the doe.

Last edited:
That is bad luck right there. I shot a buck one year only to have a much bigger one 75 yards from me broadside.... and it was rifle season.

Keep at it

My dad went down and sat in my stand today from 2 til dark. A switch was flipped in this area Sunday and the action is non stop all day there. He had deer around him walking in and after he walked out. Saw lots of chasing and multiple shooters. He didn't see the buck I hit last night but he saw multiple hit listers.

Headed down now- going to hunt my largest food plot all day as its on a pinch point and water way- should be a great spot for all day and has been left alone the last few weeks

Had a shooter in the plot at 6:50. Couldn't tell who he was so I passed in case it was sparticas.

After 21 days in the field. I shot this one last night. I was really blowing my grunt call and he came in from down wind. He walked to 20 yards in front of me. I baaaaa at him he stops and I shot him in the heart and lungs. He trotted 40 yards stood there for a few seconds and dropped. 4:30 pm.
Can't figure out how to post pic.

Last edited:
Very little action tonight and phone died. I shot a grinner though at 21 yards:). Put my dad over the food plot and he had two twin 8's walk in. He shot one- nothing too big but his first buck with a bow and he is thrilled and I'm pumped for him! Back at it tomorrow

had a pretty interesting weekend- Saturday I sat most of the day- shot a doe since the land owner asked for one and he doesn't hunt- need to keep the land owners happy!

saw a snapping turtle that missed his chance to get under the ice apparently- shot a grinner and my dad shot his first ever buck with a bow- also learned I have been missing out on snacks in the stand- double crème pies are the bomb

Also passed up a 150 class 10 pointer last night- just not the deer im after so he gets to see next year (hopefully)

1898233_819886878724_6812726893674690998_n.jpg

10513324_819886853774_6494585974899306987_n.jpg

10270750_819886833814_6397567763313479963_n.jpg

10801567_819886803874_8193504318510163247_n.jpg

1374774_819886913654_241231264185566603_n.jpg

I wont be able to make it out tomorrow at all as I am headed to the Quad cities for the holiday but I will be out all day Friday- Sunday and will update as I go. Going to hunt my largest foodplot all weekend as it has been getting hammered as of late

Top Bottom