Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Giant down!

Daver

PMA Member
I am headed west right now, not driving currently :), so I am limited on what I can accomplish. (Just crossed into montana.) But my son mark took down our #1 buck this morning, Haircatcher.

He is 5 this year and is pretty solid. :rolleyes: we have both passed him multiple times in the past 3 years. Mark passed him twice last year and I passed him once...at 4 yards! :eek:

I am super happy for him and very proud of him. I saw this buck a week ago friday and while he was still a ways out, I liked where I was sitting and I had 2 plus hours to go...when a coyote showed up and booger ed him, among others. (I did the coyote though.)

Mark was just about to climb down this am a little after 11.00a when he saw him about 150 yards away...he was able to grunt him over and shot him at 32 yards.

I uploaded a pic, can someone please link into this post/thread please?

I'll share more at some future point...traveling now. Good luck everyone!

Great character, look at the gouge in the left main beam at the brow. Looks like he tried to rub that antler in 1/2.

I am in livingston, montana, right now, so my info is a little impaired. But here a few more details. He grossed out at a little more than 185", which is virtually exactly what we thought he would be.

Mark was ready to climb down a little after 11.00a when he saw him step out of the timber a little over 120 yards away. It was apparent that he was cruising and was not likely to come by him.

He was thrashing corn stalks with his rack, so he looked like could be vulnerable to the call.

Mark grunted at him and had to grunt pretty loud to get his attention. But once he got his attention he came most of the way on a trot. Mark shot him at about 34 yards.

He anticipated that he would jump the string, and he did, and aimed accordingly. But while focusing on the vertical, he lost concentration on the horizontal, and hit him back. The hit was perfect on the vertical, but too far back. Thankfully the arrow stayed in him appeared to "continue to work".

He bedded down in sight about 75 yards away and looked to be really hurt. Yet he stood up after 10 minutes and essentially fell into the creek bed out of sight. After backing out and assessing further, mark went back with some help about 2 hours later and found him dead in the creek bed, right where he last saw him.

We are super happy to bring this guy in-house. Interestingly, of all the big ones we have shot over the years, this one is the least wary/smart...but he has the biggest rack. So go figure. :)

Top Bottom