Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ground Blinds

dbltree

Super Moderator
I love being in a tree stand where I can see the fields and timber unless....it's raining, snowing, blowing, bitter cold or...all of the above! :eek: :D

Ground blinds are an extremely useful and sometimes necessary part of any landowners over all plan and I have used them successfully for 15 years now. Much of the area on my farms has no trees large enough for a tree stand simply because was once pasture and trees have not reached sufficient size to enable the use of tree stands.

We always want to hunt a natural bottleneck of funnel that forces deer to move through a narrow area but to often we let the availability of a tree dictate where we actually put up a stand rather then where we actually need to be. Ground blinds allow us to position ourselves in the right spot regardless of trees.

Yet another problem is areas that are to open and deer easily pick us out in that environment making the use of tree stands a lesson in frustration. In those areas we often try to get higher up and closer to a runway and then have to deal with one lung shots because of the steep angle but...ground blinds solve all of those problems.

A ground blind that is not elevated allows for perfect pass through shots with no worries about angles, no concerns about being "picked off" in open areas and if the right ground blind is used, scent control becomes less of an issue.

Jim Mathias, owner of Lick Creek Enterprises in Birmingham Iowa custom builds what is in my opinion one of the best blinds on the market today. Unlike cookie cutter production built blinds, Jim is able to build each blind specifically for the owner and their intended use, so each blind can be the height and size desired and windows designed for bow or firearm or both.

I chose to have Jim build one with one vertical window that would allow me to shoot a bow from and the rest horizontal windows for greater viability and use of a firearm from.

CIMG1884.jpg

A common complaint about other blinds is not being able to shoot a bow from them but shooting from these LC blinds is easy as pie!

CIMG1882.jpg

This view shows a horizontal window dropped down

CIMG1881.jpg

The windows and door seal very well and since the seams and corners are welded together there is little air or scent movement when closed and there is a vent stack that allows one to attach a vent pipe to carry scent up and away.

IMG_0001.jpg

Tinted windows make it impossible for deer to see movement within the blind and they quickly adapt to the blinds once in place.

IMG_0012.jpg

They are easy to move with a small trailer and with optional skid they can be moved around with an ATV later

Blind.jpg

Here we planted Egyptian Wheat out to and partially around this blind to allow the landowner to get to and from the blind without being seen.

IMG_0243.jpg

In this case this blind will be used solely for firearm seasons

EW2.jpg

Many people have elevated these blinds on towers or stands but I prefer ground level and the ability to move the blind if necessary and deer quickly adapt to the blinds often passing by close enough to touch!

I took these pics from an LC ground blind last winter

Buckndoes.jpg

Deer4.jpg

Deer1.jpg

This is one Skip elevated on 6 x 6 treated posts and cemented them in, the blinds aren't that heavy but in high winds any platform can give way if not securely "planted"

ElevatedBlind.jpg

Another elevated LC blind

IMG_0003-2.jpg

Jim does make extended vents if you can't run a tile vent up into a tree so because mine is out in the open I put one on the blind vent. Helps vent any scent up and away

CIMG1921.jpg

Then insert a carbon filter into the vent inside the blind....just buy the filter at Menards and cut to fit.

CIMG1922.jpg

Here is what to look for...and if you wish you can "stuff" as much as you like to help filter odors

Hunter 30901 Carbon Purifier Pre-Filter

Most days if the sun shines at all the blind warms and it's very comfortable but a small Mr Buddy Heater will keep you warm as toast when it's bitter cold. Jim can put carpet on the floor to quiet it down but I just bought some cheap floor mats for 2 bucks a piece.

CIMG1919.jpg

I'm going to put an office type swivel chair in mine but Jim can also make a simple seat like this one that also doubles as storage space. I just used mine as a simple shelf for now.

CIMG1920.jpg

Better pics of the inside and the welded seams

IMG_0004-1.jpg

IMG_0005-1.jpg

Floating beam

IMG_0006.jpg

Vent

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012-1.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Before carpet

IMG_0007.jpg

These deer are only 50-60 yards away during late muzzy season

Deerinrye2-2.jpg

They have no clue I am there thanks to tinted windows

B9.jpg

Loads of fun watching deer in comfort!

B3-2.jpg

Many were as close as 18 yards

D4.jpg

and I could have easily taken any deer in the plot from this blind

B5-3.jpg

I freely admit to the fact that Jim and Donna Mathias are good friends of mine so it might be easy to point to some bias on my part, so I encourage you to share your own thoughts on blinds and take a look at the Lick Creek Blinds for yourself before deciding what will work best for you.

If you wonder about the effectiveness of ground blinds versus tree stands I would point out that Larry Zach killed a huge Iowa buck in early October from a wooden box blind. While wooden blinds are less expensive I have grown weary of them being invaded by mice and squirrels that chew holes or dig underneath and then proceed to chew up my chair and any gear left inside.

Eventually they begin to leak and despite my best efforts are impossible to make anywhere near scent proof. I might add also that Jim can also manufacture "shoot through" window inserts that allow you to use cellophane and keep scent loss to a minimum.

Ground blinds are also fantastic for safely introducing children or a spouse to hunting or simply photographing wildlife and for those with a young "crew" Jim can build blinds large enough for all to sit comfortably.

Jim and Donna are Iowawhitetail.com sponsors and their contact information can be found to the left on this page.

These blinds are built to last and provide hunting enjoyment for a lifetime :way:

Last edited:
I have 2- love em and price is great. I'll b ordering more and I've seen nothing that is near as good- usually others r far more $ too

Ground blinds are also good for hunting partners. Mt.Dew,M&M's,and thoughts of big whitetails wasn't enough.

picture.php

My friend Walt killed a nice buck from a Lick Creek blind in late December

IMG_0067.jpg

and he had a blast taking pictures and just observing deer in the comfort of the blind...toasty warm with the heater on!

Rye3-1.jpg

Rye1-1.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

Jim will have these blinds at the Iowa Deer Classic if you would like to take a closer look at them... :way:

I haven't had time to turkey hunt this spring so I told my friend Garry to try his luck and use the LC blind if he wished. Worked out just dandy too!

GKApril122011.jpg

The big ole tom walked by at 5 yards...end of story... :way:

So if you close it up and leave it, the inside stays clean and clear until you return the next fall? No critters or other things get in? High winds don't tip them over?

So if you close it up and leave it, the inside stays clean and clear until you return the next fall? No critters or other things get in? High winds don't tip them over?

Right there is what I love about the LC blinds! No bugs, rodents, rain etc etc.! :way: I have some wooden ones that are always a disaster....seats chewed up, wasp nests, leaks...no more...sick and tired of that mess!

The blind pictured has set out in the wide open since last fall and endured 50 mph winds without even wiggling...:)

A friend of mine purchased a Lickcreek Blind and had Jim mount it to a light duty trailer so he could easily move it around. I helped him back it in to place next to a clover plot on the 22nd in the afternoon. You can just see the tongue of the trailer sticking out in front of the blind....and all the deer only yards from it the following morning!!

LCBlindatcloverplot.jpg

The whole thing can be moved quickly and easily and obviously deer do not find it the least bit alarming... :way:

Thumbs up :way: have 2 with more planned.

Lick Creek Blinds making memories for years to come......

My sons:

first rush of the pursuit and hunt
first doe shot
first deer passed
first deer missed
first buck fight watched
first scrape being made
first bobcat he watched
first coyote he watched close
first buck killed
first drop tine buck spotted

The memories started as he practiced shooting a BB gun at cans when we started building the elevated stands. His little sister has plans to follow the same path I can't think of better quality one on one time with my children. The conversations we have in the blind are awesome no distractions just quality time. The tree is where it is for me but cold, rain, and quality time with friends, and loved ones these can't be beat.

1078-bb_practice_sized.jpg

I ordered a 6' blind from Jim at the Classic this year and I need to figure out how far I want the windows from the floor. I'm doing a combination of gun and bow windows and I will be elevating the blind 7'. I will be placing it in a bottom(flat) so terrain will not be a factor. Also would like to know from you guys that have these what you would recommend for window tint....light, med, dark, or combo. Thought you guys that had these could give me some input. Thanks!

I ordered a 6' blind from Jim at the Classic this year and I need to figure out how far I want the windows from the floor. I'm doing a combination of gun and bow windows and I will be elevating the blind 7'. I will be placing it in a bottom(flat) so terrain will not be a factor. Also would like to know from you guys that have these what you would recommend for window tint....light, med, dark, or combo. Thought you guys that had these could give me some input. Thanks!

Height is going to be whatever is comfortable for you to stand and shoot a bow. I like medium tint on the side windows, dark on the back and none on the front that I normally shoot out of but some like black curtains so they can open them slightly as it gets dark.

Top Bottom