Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hail Shredded Bean Field... Barely missed my farm

Oh my gosh! That’s worst I’ve ever seen by far!!
Kinda what I was thinking. This is about 1.5 miles from my farm, I turned the corner and saw the beans across the road were okay and a huge sigh of relief. Walked back to my beans and 10 day old brassica plot. Other side of the section was not so lucky.

holy smokes!!!! when i lived in north dakota a hail storm came through and made a 5ft tall corn field look like a bunch of stalks and thats it, all the leaves were gone...the field actually put ears on too...however i dont feel like your farmer is going to be that lucky...

holy smokes!!!! when i lived in north dakota a hail storm came through and made a 5ft tall corn field look like a bunch of stalks and thats it, all the leaves were gone...the field actually put ears on too...however i dont feel like your farmer is going to be that lucky...
My buddy custom harvests this field. Luckily he said the he will get paid the same no matter what it yields. Sucks for the owners though, he said he didnt think they carried crop ins.

I went through Moberly last Thursday & Friday and it looked crazy dry there!

What day did this happen?

I went through Moberly last Thursday & Friday and it looked crazy dry there!

What day did this happen?
The first half of the summer was TERRIBLE drought. I got .7" of rain the entire month of June. Starting 7/15 we started to get some relief and have had over 10" since then.
This storm rolled through about 8:15 last night. I was running he kiddos bath water and when I turned it off I could hear it coming. Ran to the basement quick just for precaution but by the sound of it could have easily had more than hail and straight lined winds. Put windows out of several peoples windows and completely shredded siding on lots of homes. Smoked my buddys skylights in his big 5th wheel camper too. Could have been much worse.

Several years ago we got a hail storm not to far from my house and the hail cut the beans off. It looked like they had been combined, just stubble sticking up. It was earlier in the growing season so they were able to replant. That is horrible for the farmer.

We were about the same this year, very dry June and July, but it has broke and we are getting rains now, luckily no hail though. The county south of me about 15 miles received between 7 and 15 inches of rain depending on the location between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. There has been some incredible rainfall in the last week around us.

We were about the same this year, very dry June and July, but it has broke and we are getting rains now, luckily no hail though. The county south of me about 15 miles received between 7 and 15 inches of rain depending on the location between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. There has been some incredible rainfall in the last week around us.
I watched the radar out your way this week, looked like some areas were getting hammered by rain that seemed to just hang out forever. I'm sure it was much needed just as we need it here.

I am not sure where KS Hunter is in Kansas but I am still 15" behind for the year. We are in an Exceptional Drought area. Maybe today we will get some. My Brassica's need water. I have 4 ponds in one section and all have been dry since the middle of June. Hay has tripled in price and a lot of ranchers are selling off a lot of cattle because of lack of water and feed. Even the main creek in the county is covered with moss and is not moving. A rancher friend who I went to high school with told me the other night that this is the worst he has ever seen it. Time for a rain dance!!

We got hit real bad by hail, I want to say it was Aug 10, 2017. Did the same thing to our beans. I think they made around 7 bu/acre. Did a ton of vehicle, house, building, etc damage, as well.

Top Bottom