Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hardest hit EHD area's

in2harrisonCO

Over the past couple years I'm under the impression that Western and Southern Iowa were the hardest effected by EHD, is this a fair assumption?

Western half of Crawford county. Between what I believe 50% ehd loss coupled with orange army there literally is no deer left. I consider myself a decent hunter who at least knows how to find deer and there is litterally nothing left. Now equivalent to the pheasent eradication of the area too bad the coyote population didn't start the trend of wildlife exctintion

I was told around the Cedar Rapids area was hit pretty hard in spots, along the Cedar River (Linn/Johnson Counties). We have ground in the area and didn't spot a single dead deer all fall or while shotgun hunting. Not saying there wasn't, just we didn't find any.

No where. "Only 1000 reported cases across the state." Hardly any deer were impacted. Ha- I think they may be overlooking 10's of thousands not reported. Unless I was on ONE farm in Iowa (not mine) that comprised 2.4% of all the EHD kills of the whole state.

Its all over the state. I hunt far east central, some farms around cr and also down in far se iowa. A few more summers like 2012 and 2013 and our herd will be toast....everywhere.

I do think EHD has hit hard but for what it's worth- it ain't touching what the late shed buck season is doing as well as high tag quotas & at least EHD doesn't happen every yr.

While shed hunting a property around the Coralville Reservoir in the spring of 2013, I was stunned by the number of dead deer I found. Unfortunately, EHD hit it again during the 2013 summer. I found more deer carcasses this past fall. Deer sightings were down drastically, reminded me of hunting the property back in 1986/7. Does got a pass this fall.

A few more late shed buck seasons and a hot dry summer we'll all be fishing. About the only thing left to do, pheasants are gone. Our DNR needs to look at the money lost in the state and actually do some management.

Our DNR needs to look at the money lost in the state and actually do some management.
It really grates on me when people blame the DNR. Their hands are tied by Gov Branstad. The DNR keeps sending policy to the capitol and the Gov keeps slapping it down........

Take home: DNR is your friend, Gov is not!

Ehd hit pretty hard in my area and poaching! Found two today while coon calling. This one and a shed buck 50 yards apart. Senseless.

Curtis,
Well then I'm good. I guess my glass is 1/2 full. I have a pond that you could put a hook on a thread with no bait and catch a bass on every throw. They are frankin piranna bass. Along that pond I found a buck that died in velvet. I should have thrown him in the water to feed the bass.

Curtis,
Well then I'm good. I guess my glass is 1/2 full. I have a pond that you could put a hook on a thread with no bait and catch a bass on every throw. They are frankin piranna bass. Along that pond I found a buck that died in velvet. I should have thrown him in the water to feed the bass.

Dont stick your fingers in the water lol

It really grates on me when people blame the DNR. Their hands are tied by Gov Branstad. The DNR keeps sending policy to the capitol and the Gov keeps slapping it down........

Take home: DNR is your friend, Gov is not!

Very true. Look at the whitetail mecca we had before their hands were tied.

Southern linn county/northern Johnson county, heard a lot of reports of dead deer this past summer in that area. I found 2 dead bucks this year late summer on one of the properties I hunt near marion

I do think EHD has hit hard but for what it's worth- it ain't touching what the late shed buck season is doing as well as high tag quotas & at least EHD doesn't happen every yr.

I don't believe this. Our area has escaped the EHD so far, and while our population may be down some due to liberal doe harvest, overall there are still a bunch of deer around. But I have to believe that the areas that have been hit with EHD in back-to-back years are seeing an impact far greater than that of any hunting season. Just my 2 cents...

NWBuck

Top Bottom