Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hay/Alfalfa etc.

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
I have deer that travel through my backyard from the timber across the street to the corn/bean field and timber behind my house and visa/versa. They always like to meander through the yard and nible on my pine trees and bushes in the yard. Its fun to go out and see their tracks and where they all like to explore in the yard and sometimes they even bed down in the pine trees. The past few years I have added a salt block now and again in the backyard and dump out a few bags of corn in the winter around the pines. I've even managed to pick up a few sheds over the past years doing this. Its almost like the deer like to use the yard as a staging area and bed down and gather and rest between crossing the street and feeding in the corn/beindfield before going back to the timber which is a few hundred yards behind the house. This activity is all nocturnal, occasionally just before dark or leaving for work in the morning I might see a deer back there. Its just a fun thing to do and see the sign etc and sometimes I put up a camera to see what's there.

Anywho, I want add some grassfeed in with the corn. What do they like best, hay or alfalfa? Shed hunting I have found sheds before near haybales and sometimes the deer really seem to feed on it well. Anyone know where I could buy some square bales near DSM area?

Alfalfa....we put out corn and alfalfa in MN (if it is a tough winter). Actually we put it out regardless and the deer really like alfalfa (first cutting) seems to be especially attractive

Hay is just a general term, alfalfa is hay,one in the same. Deer prefer more alfalfa and less grass mostly, although say a bale that's 25% grass baled at the right time can be very desirable. Later crops tend to have more protien and are more digestible. The stems are smaller in say 3rd or 4th crop. But they can cost more. Seems hard to find good alfalfa in small squares anymore because they are mostly made for the horse market and often they don't need or want to pay for pure alfalfa. I have used corn gluten pellets also for an economical option. One big square could get you 900# for 55$-75$ if you had access it's a much better deal. The same in small squares likely would run 90$-125$ pay for convenience.

I bought two smaller squares at Farm & City Supply on the southeast side of Des Moines last evening. They were only $8 each. I broke one up and tossed it around. I'll see how they like it.

Alfalfa....we put out corn and alfalfa in MN (if it is a tough winter). Actually we put it out regardless and the deer really like alfalfa (first cutting) seems to be especially attractive

I should note my own error, second or third cutting are preferred not first. I get alfalfa from a local farmer and he told me they prefer third cutting more than anything...

Top Bottom