Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hazelton Deer Farm

Droptines

More than 70 deer were put down on March 28th at a Hazelton deer farm after CWD was found in December. Chronic wasting disease was detected in a dead deer at the farm back in December. The IA DNR released a statement this week that no more deer tested positive in Clayton County after the special hunt. There will be CWD testing on all deer taken in Allamakee and Clayton County this year.

Deer farm are nothing but a CWD cesspool and deer on Roids!
Agree totally, can't believe they are allowed. Not gonna rant on this but hopefully after the recent cwd confirmations in allamakee and Clayton counties these deer farmers get the shaft, need to tackle this eliminating all farms, take no chances! Love deer hunting too much to support such pen raised deer for profit. Just don't see the point in it, ok maybe I did rant a bit but it's all about the health of our deer herd, that's #1 for me!

So CWD manifest itself and mutates on deer farms? Does that count all the farms owned for deer hunting and managed for higher populations for better hunting? The ones with feeder stations, small and large food plots? Mineral stations? Small waterholes and ponds? I am sure they are watched closely and tested at a far higher rate than wild deer. I'm not really a fan of them myself but it is someone's source of income. If there wasn't such a huge demand for genetics and huge racks there would be no reason to do it. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not sure there are piles of deer farms out west causing widespread panic? It's more than just one thing. I see people bitch about cows on here ruining there hunting, but I bet those people eat steak and cheese. There is farm more to this than some deer in a pen. At least those deer are monitored and removed. I am sure if someone came to your businesses and said we are taking all your inventory because we deem it unfit, and you had no way to replace it you wouldn't be so quick. It's always people with no real knowledge of the situation that push and push for change. It's easy to look in from a distance and holler solutions.

So CWD manifest itself and mutates on deer farms? Does that count all the farms owned for deer hunting and managed for higher populations for better hunting? The ones with feeder stations, small and large food plots? Mineral stations? Small waterholes and ponds? I am sure they are watched closely and tested at a far higher rate than wild deer. I'm not really a fan of them myself but it is someone's source of income. If there wasn't such a huge demand for genetics and huge racks there would be no reason to do it. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not sure there are piles of deer farms out west causing widespread panic? It's more than just one thing. I see people bitch about cows on here ruining there hunting, but I bet those people eat steak and cheese. There is farm more to this than some deer in a pen. At least those deer are monitored and removed. I am sure if someone came to your businesses and said we are taking all your inventory because we deem it unfit, and you had no way to replace it you wouldn't be so quick. It's always people with no real knowledge of the situation that push and push for change. It's easy to look in from a distance and holler solutions.

There is no live test for CWD. Deer farmers are constantly moving and trading "Stock". With no way of testing their "commodity" they have a much higher chance of propagating CWD into areas it didn't previously exist. CWD in an infected deer can take months and even years to manifest. Thus, moving what might appear to be a perfectly healthy animal is actually further spreading the disease. Its a huge threat. They should be banned.

It is not a huge threat. EHD is far worse. I don't raise deer. Its a ponzi scheme. You don't put the fox in charge of the hen house. Dept. of Ag should be in charge of these livestock. The deer farmers are in competition with the DNR. Down the road in history it will surface what a hoax this is. Just remember this was created by a biologist who worked for the DNR in Colorado. Wait till they are done with deer farmers and start on your wild herd. Already happening in Wis. and IL. Personally I would love to get paid to sniper deer at night over a corn pile. Not really but select few get that job when hunters would gladly do the thinning for nothing. More corruption.

Interesting, that if captive deer herds are the root of all CWD evil, why is Texas not overrun with CWD? Huge portions of the state are high fence deer farms. Along the same line, why then is very nearly the entire state of Wyoming affected with CWD and I believe there is only 1 captive deer/elk farm in the entire state and it is not known to be affected?

https://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/images/cwd/cwd_map.jpg

Maybe CWD prions don't like the heat and global warming will be our salvation? :rolleyes: A lot more needs to be learned before we crucify anything or anyone.

It's no different than emerald ash borer. To a certain extent, nature with take it's course. It is exacerbated by the unnatural movement of firewood.... I mean deer farm deer.

A good starting point would be to outlaw transportation of deer. If genetics want to be traded, sold,4 and transported, they go via test tube. That would accomplish the same thing without putting the deer farm folks out of business.

The Texas high fence places are not what I am talking about. Those are thousands and thousands of acres. My concern is the guys with 100 acres, 100 deer, and loading deer on trailers trading/selling them all over the place.

IDALS is in charge of deer farms, the IDNR is in charge of shooting preserves.

EHD, in the short term is bad, but in the long term CWD is worse. I don't think CWD is a hoax nor is any TSE. Scrappie has been around for ever (identified in 1732). Things mutate. How the prion mutates from cattle to sheep to humans, I don't know but it is Natures way to change to survive and to reproduce. Prions don't reproduce in the normal RNA/DNA sequence. They are introduced in a variety of ways into the host animal, cross the cell membrane, and replicate by changing the normal intracellular proteins into misfolded proteins thereby killing the cell. The prions are released into the blood stream free to invade another cell and the cycle starts over. And as you have all read before; CWD is always fatal, there is no control, there is no immunity, acquired or genetic.

So- Here's a genuine question for guys who have been around the WI cwd area or areas like it- cwd for a "long time"..... so we all know they 1st shot out as many deer as possible. Tried to wipe them out. Either- they quit that approach or guys quit shooting them like the 1st several years. Cwd remains.....

So... sounding like deer #'s have stabilized or came back. So.... are folks finding the deer that escape deer season and survive dead before the next season in large #'s? Are few or little to no bucks able to get to maturity? Do they ever feel if they laid off the deer killing #'s could ever come back?

One area that's had cwd I did talk to a guy about- he genuinely sounded like his group of guys didn't notice any difference and the deer they found dead were "likely" (long story) ehd kills. Very few they confirmed dead from cwd. But- this very well could be a "one off" conversation that's not accurate. I don't know. If someone said "hey dude, u said ur farm smelled like death on numerous occasions from ehd rampage.... well, if cwd gets here, that will be nothing- cwd is gonna be a blood bath wipe out". Ya- that would get my attention. As of now it sure doesn't sound anything like that except for people trying to Eradicate them but again, this cwd stuff still sounds like the "truth" or real understanding of it is either muddy, partially misdirected or missing.

I think the disconnect is everybody sees the immediate and real effects of EHD while CWD is much slower. Have a lot of deer been found dead of CWD? No. Why? They are more susceptible to predation, hunting and Fords so they aren't found like EHD victims. They are killed by the aforementioned factors well before they show signs of CWD. There is neither the funding nor the will to get every carcass tested and you can't test bones for CWD.

Top Bottom