Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hearing protection for hunting?

Team pewp

Work Sucks!
What does everyone use/recommend? I have muffs for the range but am looking for something while I hunt so I can still hear but protect my ear drums from the gun blast. I am going elk hunting and will be packing 300 win mag with a muzzle break. I will not be firing that gun with out some form of hearing protection. I also feel I should be wearing something for any gun hunting I do. My ears were ringing after last shotgun season. It’s time to protect my hearing while I hunt. I have been looking at walkers game ears along with less expensive solutions. They all seem to have mixed reviews. I’m interested to see what everyone on this forum uses for hearing protection while they hunt. Thanks in advance for the info!

I don't use anything when I hunt. Say what??? I know I should, but don't. That said I don't shoot anything with a muzzle brake (anymore). Recoil is much less a problem (for me) than muzzle blast. I do wear muffs for the range as well as chainsaw work, but a "day late & dollar short"... :( My nephew and his kids all use the custom molded noise suppressors for hunting, shooting, chainsaw work and daily work in a repair shop (impact wrenches, air chisels, etc...). Don't know what brand, but wish I woulda started doing that about 60 years ago... What was that you said again??? :rolleyes:

I picked up some Etymotic ER20XS plugs for wearing at concerts. Shaves the top 20-25 db off. I haven't tried them with gunfire, though. Usually at the range, I'm wearing muffs or the foam plugs.

In blind I ain’t gonna Hunt without em again. I’ll check up on suggestions here. I need em to keep what I got left!

Campfire.com has some on sale today
ec6d66e7921db36fcf00276c83df32df.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I hunt with a gun thats got a brake I try to just wear one ear plug in the ear closest to the brake when firing since thats the side that really gets the abuse and that way I still have full unmuffled hearing from the other ear... If you shoot right handed wear a plug in the left ear if youre left handed wear one in your right ear. Obviously if youre at the range use both but with the limited shooting down while rifle hunting just the one is normally enough to help

I bought some Walkers game ear muffs to try turkey hunting this year. Not sure they will let me hear directionally very well, but they should help keep my hearing

Electronic ear muffs that shut or loud (harmful) noise and can even amplify other sounds are actually quite inexpensive these days. No excuses! Use them NOW or wish you had later!!! Wish I had not been so cavalier about it many years ago!!!

MidwayUsa has the Walker Silencer earbuds in sale right now, I think theyre about 130. You can find them online elsewhere cheaper sometimes too

Top Bottom