Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Help me pick days for 2018

bigvalleyboy

I've been sitting on points for a few years now and haven't been able to make it out for a hunt due to work/family obligations.
It looks like I'll be able to make it out for a 6-7 day hunt this year but unfortunately my wife has to be out of town for work pretty much in the middle of when I had planned to be hunting.
Basically, my two options are for either a 7 day hunt from 11/1-11/8 or a 6.5 day hunt from 11/10-11/16.
I'm leaning toward the later hunt, but that's based on my knowledge garnered from hunting eastern deer. What do you guys think?

Early November can be tough because the big guys can be locked down with the very first hot does. IMO the best times to kill the most mature deer in the woods is the last few days of October and the 14-18th of November. My vote is for the 10th-16th. The only exception to that is if you have the possibility to watch the weather and plan from there. If its not an option then go with the 10th-16th, if it is an option pick the sets of dates that has clear skies, cold temps, and high pressure.

I echo exactly what muddyhunter said. If your hunting public either late October or mid to late November. Public or private I'm picking the 10th-16th. But lots of guys favorite individual days are in that first week of november

This says a lot. Out of 166 B&C killed with a bow in the last few years. Nov. 1-10 =107, Nov. 1-15=143, Nov.16-30=23. This research was from the P&Y quarterly magazines with the best days being Nov.3=14, 4=15, 5,=15 6=16.

I figured that most people would lean towards the later dates.

Those stats are interesting Non-typ. I never realized how steeply success drops off heading into that third week.

This says a lot. Out of 166 B&C killed with a bow in the last few years. Nov. 1-10 =107, Nov. 1-15=143, Nov.16-30=23. This research was from the P&Y quarterly magazines with the best days being Nov.3=14, 4=15, 5,=15 6=16.

That is interesting, but I would attribute the higher kill in the early season to more hunters in the field. I personally prefer the 2nd half of November for mature deer, but I don’t see hardly any hunters during that time frame. Most guys hit it hard until the 15th and then either get burnt out or run out of vacation.

Nov. 1-15= 143 Nov. 16-30=23 Numbers don't lie. I always hunted Nov. 10-18 and have shot some great deer but next year I will be in the woods Nov. 3,4,5,6.

Nov. 1-15= 143 Nov. 16-30=23 Numbers don't lie. I always hunted Nov. 10-18 and have shot some great deer but next year I will be in the woods Nov. 3,4,5,6.
I will agree to an extent. Some years early November can be great, but others you can be battling warm temps, crops in, and tons of pressure. Also there are plenty of deer that aren't submitted that are killed in both time frames.

10-16 no doubt.

I don’t disagree with the numbers stated but they are skewed by the number of guys in the field the 1-10 that think things are over by the time the 18th rolls around.

I will be in the woods anytime I can in November but If i had only a week I am in there the 9-16 timeframe.

After this years rut which I thought was going to be great turned out not good for rutting activity.
So this is just information on this year which is just that.
November 1,2,3 there was a spike in deer kills. A few deer where shot on the 6,7.
November 10,11,12 there was a pile of deer killed.
Bowhunters also reported that the last four days before 1st shotgun season the rut action was phenomenal and the shotgun hunters reported they seen good rutting activity the first 3 days even while doing pushes.
So the week picking thing is always luck of the draw. Have fun no matter what week you choose...... cause it’s Iowa;)

I have had the best luck from Nov 9 -20, but I have shot a few nice ones late Oct and the first week inNov. Like the other guys said, either timeframe can work on any given year.

Just did this research for myself. Thought I would share it here. Remember I'm just talking B&C bucks, 195 n.t. 170 typ. with a bow. The replies here sound like were talking all deer. Be great if someone did one on P&Y bucks. That may change the dates. Every one have a Happy New Year.

I've never killed one before the 19th of November. A lot of that has to do with what the work schedule has allowed since college.

It depends on what part of the state. If your in the north like me I wouldn't wait til the second half unless on public. I see significantly less action after the 10th, always have. I usually do not fill my tag and hunt whenever I can from Oct 25- gun 1. Only one time have I shot a buck after Nov 10th. My goals are 5.5 and 170" or something with character so needless to say its more famine than feast. But I spend plenty of time in a tree I run cams also. I see far more action Oct 28th- Nov 10th. Then from the 15th on other than streaks it is much slower. I have had all my best encounters before Nov 5th. I would surely choose whatever stretch allows more time to hunt myself.

Top Bottom