Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Herbicides

When spraying select at 6-8 ounces and one quart of crop oil per acre, could someone give me a rough idea on how much water is needed per acre? I understand it will vary depending on spray tips and speed but I would like to get a rough estimate. Thanks

Our 40 gallon Fimco sprayer will use 13 gallons /A. Our 110 gallon Fimco sprayer uses about 20 gallons /A. Each sprayer is different and a steady speed is needed.:)

I'm looking at spraying about 2-3 acres to take out the grass and weeds and set-up a few 1 acre plots for a late summer planting of rye/clover mix. I'm trying to get an idea of about how much time it would take with a backpack sprayer to cover an acre. I have an ATV, but it would be difficult to get to the site about 7 miles away. I haven't used either type of sprayer but it sounds like once the ATV sprayer is calibrated it would be be more in the 10-30 minute range per acre.

I'm looking at spraying about 2-3 acres to take out the grass and weeds and set-up a few 1 acre plots for a late summer planting of rye/clover mix. I'm trying to get an idea of about how much time it would take with a backpack sprayer to cover an acre. I have an ATV, but it would be difficult to get to the site about 7 miles away. I haven't used either type of sprayer but it sounds like once the ATV sprayer is calibrated it would be be more in the 10-30 minute range per acre.

My 3 gallon backpack sprayer does about a 1/2 acre at a steady walk and it takes probably a 1/2 hour although I never really timed it.

2-3 acres will take quite a while but it is possible...;)

dbltree, thanks much, I'm leaning towards picking up an ATV sprayer, but now I have an idea of what I'm in for if I go the backpack sprayer route. I don't have much in the way of equipment just an ATV mower and seed spreader, so I'm adding this year as needed and then I'll add some more next year as well. Sounds like a spiked toothed harrow would work get the fertilizer under the ground and take care of the planting depth needed for oats and peas.

I've always enjoyed gardening and the deer hunting, so you'd think putting in food plots seems like such a natural thing to do. But I really have no practical experience with it, you're threads have been so helpful, lots of insite and some great ideas. Over the years, improving the 40 has been limited to planting tree seedings. Only thing that really took were pines put in for a road screen travel corridor. Other trees and shrubs that were fortunate enough to make it through the summer drought, didn't make it through the winter, after they were pounded by the deer. Last year tried some tree tubes, which helped with growth and kept the deer off them, (visited them earlier this year in March), so now I'm inclined to try some of those dwarf oaks you mentioned on your other thread. But that will be next year's project, this year I really want to give these plots a shot.

I've been doing some research lately on preparing to plant a small vineyard next to my house and was looking at recommended herbidices used. I came acros a pre-emergence herbicide called Casoron.

After researching it quite a bit, it looks like it's safe on use on all kinds of stuff, from gardens, vineyard, fruit orchards to deciduous trees. You apply it in the winter and it gives a residual pre-emergence control for the whole season.

getimage_new_4594_1.asp

An 8lb bag of granules is about $25. Has anyone ever tried this stuff? I might give it a try this winter by putting it in areas that i've killed with Roundup, and see how it performs, for next year.

Last edited:
Casoron (dichlobenil) for selective weed control in cranberry
bogs, ornamentals, nurseries, fruit orchards, vineyards, forest
plantations, public green areas, and for total weed control.

Casoron Label

Let us know what you think of it Joey...:)

Atrazine is safe on miscanthus gianteus right? I am pretty sure it is. I have 10 plants I need to spray around. Could someone give me a mixing ratio (water to atrazine)? I don't want to burn these things up. To expensive. :D

Atrazine is safe on miscanthus gianteus right? I am pretty sure it is. I have 10 plants I need to spray around. Could someone give me a mixing ratio (water to atrazine)? I don't want to burn these things up. To expensive. :D

Yes atrazine is safe on miscanthus and I think you would literally have to dump it on to kill it! Legal rate is 2 1/2 quarts per acre sp as always you need to calibrate your hand sprayer first.

Simazine will also work and it is not a restricted use herbicide...;)

I am needing to spray my clover plots with Butyrac 200. Could someone tell me how many hrs or days I need to spray before we get a rain on it? I can't find any info about that on the label. Thanks.

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and sprayed them today. Figure I got done around 2:30. They are calling for rain but not till later. Hope they are right. :way:

One thing about herbicides...you also have to apply them! :D

I use my Solo backpack sprayer extensively to spray everything from food plots to tree plantings and it has lasted nearly 15 years. I also use a Stihl sprayer...very well built but difficult to pump up.

If you have thoughts on sprayers of any kind or size...please share so others know what might work best for them...:)

Bought a stanley back pack sprayer from Sam's Club for 44 bucks and it has worked great for the past year. Carry it in the car all the time with me for when I find an invasive, tree plantings or new areas that will be planting in the coming years.

Prowl H20 or Prowl 3.3, whats the difference but a small percentage of the active ingredient? That seems to be a one stop shop for my herbicide needs, I can spray the perennial sunflowers, shrubs, trees and wild bean I am planting.

Prowl H20 or Prowl 3.3, whats the difference but a small percentage of the active ingredient? That seems to be a one stop shop for my herbicide needs, I can spray the perennial sunflowers, shrubs, trees and wild bean I am planting.

I doubt there is a hill a beans difference Phil...except perhaps the price...;)

ATV sprayer

Just wanted to let anyone know that might be looking for a relativley inexpensive ATV sprayer about this one.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200347991_200347991

I bought it after Christmas last year and used it this last summer quite a bit. I was very happy with this sprayer. I picked it because I use an old honda big red and didn't want a 30 gallon sprayer. The 16 gal is very manageable on smaller atvs. It broadcast a nice wide path and makes spraying foodplots a snap. The only con is if you are going to try to spray up into trees like for fruit trees it doesn't have a lot of head pressure. It would be fine for spot spraying around trees but don't expect it to spray UP very high.
Price plus perfomance.
Before this sprayer I used a 4 gallon back pack sprayer, but this takes the cake.

Dbltree and myself were talking about a transfer pump that takes the round-up out of the big barrels we buy and put in small containers- we bought some 30 gallon barrels last year. Hand pumps STINK. He was saying one of the guys bought a pump that goes on a drill head and you just hit the trigger on the drill... Presto- quick liquid transfer into your container, pretty slick. $10!!!! I googled several types of these, I just bought one yesterday.... Just google "transfer pump, drill" or here's some sources....
http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CD8Q8wIwAg#

This brand above and below is NOT the brand I bought but I assume they are all about the same....
Wayne DPFTK1 Drill Powered Fluid Transfer Utility Pump Kit

Just an FYI if you all are looking for a cheap and quick way to transfer liquids and you're sick of those silly hand-pumps.

Ebay can be a great place to find smaller quantities of herbicides that are not often carried at local co-ops. They can order for you but usually will require that you take a full case which may cost 500-600 bucks!

Shipping can be a few bucks more of course but far less then buying a full case!

Here are a few examples"

Remedy and relegate are used for basal bark spraying of brush or invasives like honeysuckle and locust trees

Relegate Herbicide 1 Gal - Compare to Remedy Ultra

Remedy Ultra Herbicide - 1 Gallon - Brush Killer

Prowl H20 is registered in over 90 crops, including on corn (field, pop, seed and sweet), cotton, edible beans, garlic, grain sorghum, alfalfa, lentils and peas, bearing grape, bearing fruit and nut trees, , nonbearing fruit and nut crops, nonbearing vineyards, onions and shallots (dry bulb), peanuts, potatoes, rice, soybeans, sugarcane, sunflowers, perennial grasses grown for seed, clover grown for seed, carrots grown for seed, strawberries, mint (peppermint and spearmint), tobacco, and wheat

Prowl H2O Herbicide with Pendimethalin 2.5 gallons

Prowl is very effective on pigweed and safe on apple trees for instance so it has a wide variety of uses

Drive 75F is the same as Paramount and provides effective post emergence control of foxtail in switchgrass and big bluestem. It's available in larger quantities, just search the product name on Ebay

DRIVE 75 HERBICIDE - 1 LB (QUINCLORAC)

DRIVE XLR8 Herbicide,NEW! Faster,More Effective! 1/2Gal

Clethodim is the most effective grass herbicide that is safe to use on clovers, alfalfa's, soybeans and virtually any other broadleaf from brassicas to sunflowers. There are less expensive sources (check Rural King) but you can find it on Ebay as well

ARROW 1 gal Grass Herbicide - Replaces Arrest, Trigger

Oryzalin (Surflan) is very safe for use on many shrubs and trees and works well when combined with Princep 4L(simazine)

SURFLAN AS Selective PreEmerg Herbicide Oryzalin GALLON

Sedehammer for control of sedges

Sedgehammer herbicide BOTTLE 1.3oz Nutgrass weeds

Simazine 4L for use on trees and switchgrass, corn, Egyptian wheat etc.

Simazine 4L Pre Emergent Herbicide 2.5 gallons

Milestone for controlling thistles and broadleaves in NWSG

Milestone Specialty Herbicide w/ Aminopyralid 1 quart

2 4-DB for controlling broadleaf weeds in clover

Butyrac 200 1 gal

Try searching "herbicide" for products you may not even have thought of, then check local sources and even online sources listed at the beginning of this thread. The products listed here may not be the least expensive option but and option nonetheless for those who may not be able to find the products they need... :way:

Dbltree and myself were talking about a transfer pump that takes the round-up out of the big barrels we buy and put in small containers- we bought some 30 gallon barrels last year. Hand pumps STINK. He was saying one of the guys bought a pump that goes on a drill head and you just hit the trigger on the drill... Presto- quick liquid transfer into your container, pretty slick. $10!!!! I googled several types of these, I just bought one yesterday.... Just google "transfer pump, drill" or here's some sources....
http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CD8Q8wIwAg#

This brand above and below is NOT the brand I bought but I assume they are all about the same....
Wayne DPFTK1 Drill Powered Fluid Transfer Utility Pump Kit

Just an FYI if you all are looking for a cheap and quick way to transfer liquids and you're sick of those silly hand-pumps.

Another cheap way is to use gravity...
DSC00725.jpg

We have water plumbed up to a 1000gal tank which fills the sprayer in a hurry! The round up and 2-4D is also ran by gravity.
The hoses run outside so all we have to do is pull up, fill up, and off we go!
DSC00727.jpg

DSC00728.jpg

This is set up more for full scale farming, but a smaller version could also be done using this system.:way:

When is a good time in spring to start applying oust or any of the other residuals? Wanting to get a head start on the weeds and the last 2 years of oak seedlings.

Top Bottom