Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

He's Busted!

nwhawk

Well I was hoping this was going to happen on 11-11-11, but I was able to settle for 11-12-11 :). The morning started out pretty good, managed to get to my stand without spooking any deer (that I know of) and wasn't sweating profusely.

I climbed up about 6 and sat there in the dark for a while letting the woods settle down. Sitting there I could hear bucks in 3 different directions, as I heard their grunts. My dad was in a stand about 200yds to my west and we had a south wind that am. Once the grunts quit coming I could hear a doe (in much need of a broadhead after the 15 minutes of snorting she provided us) straight north of my dad letting the county know where we were. Once light brought the timber to life things were quiet near my stand other than for the lone coyote playing games with a mouse in the grass, which provided some entertainment while waiting for some activity.

The stand I sat in faces straight east and there's a river that creates a funnel next to the timber that the stand is placed in. About 7:30 I spotted a few deer about 150 yds to the northeast of me around the river. I could see for sure that there were 2 does along with 2 other deer that I couldn't see clearly at that point. I had done some grunting to see if I could pull anything over from the river and at that point one of the deer started heading in my direction. The deer came into a clearing and I pulled my range finder up for a little better view and all I could see was antlers. Big buck! He proceeded to make it to the edge of the funnel and worked his way along it going west. With a south wind I thought I was busted but the buck kept walking as if there was nothing different. He got to my northwest and I grunted a number of times and snort wheezed at him twice. He stopped and looked but ignored my attempt and kept working to the west. Thought dad would have a good shot at him though as the timber we were hunting is not very big (about 7 acres). Dad did end up seeing him at about 60 yds but didn't present himself for a shot.

This all took probably about 20-30 minutes and in that time that I was watching Mr. Big there was another buck over along the river working a tree over. I had completely ignored these other deer this whole time thinking about Mr. Big and where he was and figuring he'd probably come back through as once again the property isn't very big and not many places he could go.

Sitting back down now and looking east my coyote had come back and was once again messing around. He was probably 60 yds to my east and passed him I could see a doe and this other buck that had been working the tree along the river over. They were probably 100-150yds straight east of my stand. I got to looking at him and had no clue he was as good as what he was. He was working this doe over a little but not pushing her hard, just had his nose to ground/her back end seeing if she was "hot to trot."

They worked in a little closer now probably about 100 yds out and I got the grunt tube out again and went to work. This got his attention but wasn't doing the trick so I again snort wheezed twice at him. When I did this the doe was in between me and him and he started walking towards me and for some reason the doe started running towards me. I think she thought he was pushing her and he followed. They stopped probably about 50yds out and he just kept coming straight in. He ended up stopping at 20yds from my stand. I guess I didn't give him time to smell me as I had already drew back and let'er fly.

The arrow sailed clear through the boiler room and he had no clue what had just happened. He flat out didn't move. He stood there for probably 10-15 seconds and had no idea he was a dead deer standing there. At that point I kind of moved/sat down and he caught the movement and he turned and ran about 15-20yds and stopped. At this point I got my phone out and started recording. I watched him crash barely 20 yards from the stand and he was done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f9E0je0bfM

My video isn't the best of him but it's pretty cool if you turn up the volume you can hear him. I was clearly shaking at this point so again it's not the best video. I did some editing to the video as at one point I thought I was one of the Drury boys or maybe Bill Jordan and once I replayed the video I quickly realized that I am NOT ;). The pics of him are alright. I'll be getting some better ones in a few days. He would be a 50's deer if he wasn't so busted up as he's missing a brow tine, G3 & G4. He has awesome mass, great height/tine length on his good side. He's only probably about 16 1/2 inches wide but he makes up for it with his mass. His G3 on his good side is just under 12 inches. I'd like to see the buck he was fighting.

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=812&pictureid=8754

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=812&pictureid=8753

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/album.php?albumid=812&pictureid=8752

Thanks for reading and should have another story up sometime soon as my dad shot a bruiser last night about 250yds from this spot :)

Last edited:
You shot the bully of them there timbers.. Congrats on the great buck.. Mine went down that close this year too. I'd rather not hear all that stuff, but it sure did make for easy tracking..

Give the Drury boys a phone camera and see what they can do in the heat of the actions!!! Congrats and rats all at the same time...he had to be a fighting fool and there has to be something with some mass around to break that type of bone!!!!

Looks like the old dude will have to show you youngsters a few tech tips again nwhawk...here's the pic :D

user10179_pic8753_1321281803.jpg

Looks like the old dude will have to show you youngsters a few tech tips again nwhawk...here's the pic :D

user10179_pic8753_1321281803.jpg

No clue how you did that. I couldn't remember from last year:rolleyes:.. But thanks. I'll be back this weekend, should try and find one of those rarities they call a rooster :way:

Top Bottom