Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 2042 Special Senior Statewide either sex Crossbow tag

Should HF 2042 providing for a special senior either sex crossbow be allowed?

• Yes

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 92.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

Fishbonker

Life Member
This bill would change the language from doe only to either sex for the special senior statewide crossbow tag.

I believe this would allow seniors over 70 to harvest two antlered deer in archery season using a crossbow. Hunters who reach 70 years of age automatically qualify for crossbow usage and are allowed a regular archery either sex tag and this bill would allow them to obtain the special permit that would allow them to take two bucks in the archery season with a crossbow.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on my interpretation.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=HF2042&ga=87

Don't understand why this is needed. Don't get why they would need hunting license but not habitat stamp either. Just seems like another way to get cross bows more ingrained in Iowa.

Don't understand why this is needed. Don't get why they would need hunting license but not habitat stamp either. Just seems like another way to get cross bows more ingrained in Iowa.

I was thinking this is a way for more tags, since hunters arent killing the number of does the state wants...

So those of who qualify (and are also landowners) could potentially get 4 anysex tags over the course of all seasons??? o_O Nah, see no reason! :confused:

Special interest groups will keep nibbling off more and more crossbow use in hopes of legalizing it across board. Stand up and FIGHT!!!! Don't give them another inch.

Don't get why they would need hunting license but not habitat stamp either.

This piece of your concern is easy to comment towards. Residents over the age of 64 do not need to purchase a habitat stamp, nor do residents under the age of 16. Not just towards this season or game animal, towards all of them. In addition to that, under 16 do not need a hunting license and over 65 probably have purchased a lifetime hunting license (still need the deer tag).

How many hunters do you know over seventy? What is the success rate on those over seventy hunters? This makes me think of the gentleman on this forum who’s taken a couple nice deer from the enclosed trailer and how happy for him everyone is when he’s been successful. Not sure this puts much of a dent in the herd. Possibly leads to more crossbow usage creeping in, maybe have crossbow season legal during early and late muzzy for everyone.

How many hunters do you know over seventy? What is the success rate on those over seventy hunters? This makes me think of the gentleman on this forum who’s taken a couple nice deer from the enclosed trailer and how happy for him everyone is when he’s been successful. Not sure this puts much of a dent in the herd. Possibly leads to more crossbow usage creeping in, maybe have crossbow season legal during early and late muzzy for everyone.

Just my opinion...hunters over 70 now can get an any sex tag and use a crossbow...leave it that way. I do think that we will see a "drip-drip-drip" each year of additional cross bow opportunities. People that need them now can use them, there need not be additional, special tags available that favor them.

Just my opinion...hunters over 70 now can get an any sex tag and use a crossbow...leave it that way. I do think that we will see a "drip-drip-drip" each year of additional cross bow opportunities. People that need them now can use them, there need not be additional, special tags available that favor them.

My thoughts exactly. I am in no way concerned about the 70+ crowd decimating the deer herd. I am pretty convinced it is just another attempt to shoehorn some more cross bow friendly language into the regs.

Special interest groups will keep nibbling off more and more crossbow use in hopes of legalizing it across board. Stand up and FIGHT!!!! Don't give them another inch.
I don’t always like to disagree with all these new law being proposed but you and many other members know there intent.
They start creeping there wants by starting with youth, seniors so if the consensus is against the new bill they scream we are haters and against promoting hunting ect.
I sure hope I’m around and can hunt in my senior years but all the extra buck tags really isn’t needed.

This just seems to be another foot in the door piece of legislation. At age 70 most people could go to Dr and get disabled permit. Already they have antlerless tag and can use crossbow in late ML season. With disabled permit they can hunt regular archery season and the youth/disabled season. Now they want to add a special any deer tag. I'm 2 years away from the over 70 crowd and can see no need/reason for this legislation. Having spent any hours talking with legislators and attending committee meetings it just takes one of their constituents to say "I'd like to be able to do this" next thing you know the legislation shows up. I'm not anti old people, good lord I'm one of them. With a bad back and shoulder I still climb a tree, not very fast but I'm still out there

Top Bottom