Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 2108 changes definition of what is and isn't bait for deer and sets distances from baited areas.

Should HF 2108 changing baiting defintions be adopted?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sooo...what will my fine be if, unbeknownst to me, a neighbor has a bait station on his side of the fence, say 25 yards inside his property boundary and I shoot a Booner about say 100 yards inside my property boundary...and then later it is determined that I poached said Booner by virtue of being 125 yards away from a bait pile...that let's say I did not know even existed? Just trying to think outside the box here. :)

Your outside the box is a very real scenario. This is an improvement I believe, but I think they need to legalize mineral. While doing some late season hunting on public I found that I was hunting over a mineral site that I had no clue was there. It would have probably been within the 50 yard range, in an area that I never walked entering or exiting the stand and it was not there when I scouted it early summer. Frustrating to say the least.

Good question! I would think it’s the same as if neighbor had a mineral lick just across the fence under current laws. To be honestly I’m sure what legal distance is currently. I know people who put down a salt block next to a fence when neighbor put up tree stand right on other side of the fence.

Another good reason to not publicize a “Booner” if I ever do shoot one. That way the DNR won’t have to pay a surveyor to determine how far my stand is from the closest mineral source!

I would support removing or minimizing mineral distances as they are minimal attraction during hunting seasons anyway. Legality of hunting over bait piles vs food plots is a whole different argument. Ain’t going there right now...

Another thought and not trying to start a food plot/bait debate. 200 yards is definitely within most modern muzzleloader and slug guns effective range. Dump a grain cart full of corn, set up 201 yards away and you're legal?

Since we are all dealing with hypotheticals, what if a buck disperses from his birth area and licks a mineral pile across the fence from your property. You are hunting 75 yards away from the mineral pile and kill a deer. What are the chances the deer you just killed is infected with CWD from the mineral pile contaminated by the dispersing buck? It might make a difference in the dead deer's CWD status if the stand is 200 yards away though.

The bill prohibits bait or mineral of any kind on Public. That's good.

I've always thought mineral sites should not be considered bait during season. However, as Bonker mentioned I have concerns about what part licks could play in the spread of CWD. I have not made or refreshed one in 4-5 years and have no intentions of ever making another one.

I don't think anything should be done to encourage people to have any kind of bait, meaning food like corn or apple pile, or feeding station of any kind out during season.

Some kind of leeway should be added for guys who are unknowingly hunting near an unknown bait pile.

About time. We all know that mature bucks don't give a hoot about minerals during the hunting season.

Another thought and not trying to start a food plot/bait debate. 200 yards is definitely within most modern muzzleloader and slug guns effective range. Dump a grain cart full of corn, set up 201 yards away and you're legal?
Yeah, thinking the same. 200 yards feels too short of a distance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

"declassifying" mineral as bait is a good and needed change. The wording and distance needs cleaned up on bait. Even if it was a much farther distance a person could still be "hunting" it but setting up in the only access to it in a pinch point or similar.

Dang it!!! This one has 50% I like and 50% I’d throw out.
I love the mineral provision. No one hunts mineral to kill giants. If they do they are idiots. So- I like that!!
But- 200 yards from “other bait”. Like corn pile? Do I understand this right? No way. That’s gonna just turn into regular baiting and guys will just hunt the paths (same result) & probably get “gray” on how far 200 yards is. So.... I own or have access to a wide open junk farm with no deer that use it.... I’ll just go throw a dump truck out in center and hunt paths of deer going to it. That’s gonna be a disaster. If I understand this right at 1st glance??
& “200 yards”..... ah- most guns shoot 200 yards- so hows that work???
Here’s the solution: pass the mineral provision - drop the rest or debate the rest separately. Two different animals.

Sooo...what will my fine be if, unbeknownst to me, a neighbor has a bait station on his side of the fence, say 25 yards inside his property boundary and I shoot a Booner about say 100 yards inside my property boundary...and then later it is determined that I poached said Booner by virtue of being 125 yards away from a bait pile...that let's say I did not know even existed? Just trying to think outside the box here. :)
Come on, Daver, get with the times. You should have walked your property line, flying your drone to see what the neighbors are doing. o_O

Come on, Daver, get with the times. You should have walked your property line, flying your drone to see what the neighbors are doing. o_O

My drone can only "see" 24 yards over on the neighbor's property. So you can see why I am concerned about unknown bait piles that are 25 yards away! :) Not all of us can afford the really nice drones like you have Randy!! :)

My drone can only "see" 24 yards over on the neighbor's property. So you can see why I am concerned about unknown bait piles that are 25 yards away! :) Not all of us can afford the really nice drones like you have Randy!! :)
Too high tech for me, I don't own one. I do know a guy who follows drone forums. He learned which drone to buy that allowed him to wipe the drive on it to get rid of the FAA limitations, enhanced the antenna along with other mods that allow it to be flown higher and farther. Not a fan of the potential abuse of drones, but that is a topic for another thread.

I received permission for a piece of private ground about 10 years ago. The landowner didn't hunt, told me others had permission to the property. I walked it midsummer to scout. I saw a treestand up on a ridge, decided to walk up and see if I could figure out why the stand was hung in the tree that it was. Got up there and it was over top a salt lick. I never went back.

Dang it!!! This one has 50% I like and 50% I’d throw out.
I love the mineral provision. No one hunts mineral to kill giants. If they do they are idiots. So- I like that!!
But- 200 yards from “other bait”. Like corn pile? Do I understand this right? No way. That’s gonna just turn into regular baiting and guys will just hunt the paths (same result) & probably get “gray” on how far 200 yards is. So.... I own or have access to a wide open junk farm with no deer that use it.... I’ll just go throw a dump truck out in center and hunt paths of deer going to it. That’s gonna be a disaster. If I understand this right at 1st glance??
& “200 yards”..... ah- most guns shoot 200 yards- so hows that work???
Here’s the solution: pass the mineral provision - drop the rest or debate the rest separately. Two different animals.

Dumb provision in the rule, I like the mineral point, but you can't have baiting on a property? North Dakota allows that and guys literally sit in blinds with 200 lbs of corn, apples, pumpkins, you name it and then shoot deer over it.

Minerals during season offer nothing in terms of attracting bucks. You should be able to sit in one in my opinion. As far as the concern w/ CWD....What about all the other contact deer having with each other w/ licking branches, scrapes, food plots, etc. I know this is a concentrated area, but I don't see mineral sites as being the big hitter in transmitting.

Does #4 clear up the grey area of mowing a standing corn plot late season??? Or is that still a grey area?? Anyone have thoughts on that?

Sure, I'll chime in with my $0.02 worth! Mowing corn or leaving standing beans is considered a "normal agricultural procedure", just like not picking a field cause it was too wet, or not enough yield to justify the expense of harvest. Silly? Yes, but the DNR has to draw the line somewhere, and that's where it is (I think?). At least most food plots help the general population through some of the rough times... A pile of acorn rage or a bucket of corn? Not so much! You can argue the fine points all day but again, you have to draw the line somewhere. Should we outlaw water holes or TSI??? All meant to attract deer!

The way I see the proposed law on baiting: Even if you're 205 yards from a bait pile and the deer is with in the 200 yards you can not shoot it.

Top Bottom