Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How are the shot gunners doing?

My buddies shot 5 deer so far, four button bucks and one small doe. All but one of them don't have their any-sex tags. (Four of them, each have filled an antler less tag)

Good friend from back home goes with a group every year to Harrison County. Shot this beast on one of the last drives they did. This was the 3rd push thru the same timber. They said this buck tried to walk the opposite way they were pushing to try and back track the direction they were heading but they caught him doing it. They scored him low 190's. And that was with a broken right beam. Awesome deer.

I would take that picture down! Until you have a picture with the tag on. Great trophy to have taken away. JMO

On the tag issue... Can't you walk up to the deer and hold it up for a picture before tagging it? Doing this before moving the deer. Am I wrong?

Side note, the buck poles & trucks full of immature bucks, button bucks, etc, i'll admit, it's hard to see. Can't do a thing about it and I bite my lip but it's hard to see.

Last edited:
Im gonna say you can take photos without a tag according to the regs... but if you drug it out of the woods, I suppose they could ding you with that??

Transportation Tag
A Transportation Tag with the
date of kill properly shown shall be
visibly attached to the deer or turkey
within 15 minutes of the time it is
located after being taken or before
the carcass is moved to be transported
by any means, whichever
occurs first, in a manner that the tag
cannot be removed without mutilating
or destroying it.

I would take that picture down! Until you have a picture with the tag on. Great trophy to have taken away. JMO

I have another picture with the tag on it...I'm not worried about taking the picture down. Like others have said, you can take pictures with the deer before tagging it. I wasn't there to witness when the deer was tagged. Just sharing a picture is all.

On the tag issue... Can't you walk up to the deer and hold it up for a picture before tagging it? Doing this before moving the deer. Am I wrong? Side note, the buck poles & trucks full of immature bucks, button bucks, etc, i'll admit, it's hard to see. Can't do a thing about it and I bite my lip but it's hard to see.

I tell them every year and yet they complain about not seeing anything over 140".

Do you personally know of a situation where the DNR confiscated a deer due to a picture without a tag? I am not talking about "friend of a friend" or "I heard about a guy at work" scenarios, I am referring to an actual occurrence that you know about specifically.

Great buck, wow!! Congrats to the fortunate hunter!

Do you personally know of a situation where the DNR confiscated a deer due to a picture without a tag? I am not talking about "friend of a friend" or "I heard about a guy at work" scenarios, I am referring to an actual occurrence that you know about specifically. Great buck, wow!! Congrats to the fortunate hunter!
I do and the pic was taken from this forum! CO even said you can't move it to take pics before you tag it

Last edited:
Sorry I wasn't trying to start anything. I just remembered the discussion at the beginning of the year. I'm just stating that would be a heck of a trophy to have taken away and I would just hate to see the DNR take such a beautiful buck. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Not meaning to "stir the pot", but do you think the DNR would have an issue if the buck was tagged on the back leg vs the antler? It might be tagged, just in the wrong spot like some of the others in the pictures.

Group of 11 shot 11, 1 152" 10 point, 2 small basket racks, rest were does. Couldn't do much until the fog lifted both days about 10am or so. Hunted about 11 different properties or so, and were skunked on about half of them. Benton, Linn and Blackhawk counties

If you want to say you can't take a picture with the buck where it expired before you tag it, you sure as hell better tag that deer before gutting it too. I'd venture to say that the majority of hunters on this forum gut the deer before tagging it. What is the difference?

On the tag issue... Can't you walk up to the deer and hold it up for a picture before tagging it? Doing this before moving the deer. Am I wrong?

Side note, the buck poles & trucks full of immature bucks, button bucks, etc, i'll admit, it's hard to see. Can't do a thing about it and I bite my lip but it's hard to see.

Once again we agree Skip. Only way to shoot a smart old buck is to push a bunch to where he has no more "outs" makes me sad really. I root for the mature bucks to outsmart the the Orange army. More killing than hunting... I shouldn't even check these forums during gun season.

Top Bottom