Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How long can you wait?

tracker

Life Member
I have been doing some reading with the new Peterson's and also reading discussion on the site the last few weeks and have noticed the different length of time some people are willing to wait in order to draw a tag to hunt somewhere and also the length of time some are willing to wait to harvest a particular animal.
I remember being all so ancy to get something harvested. Everyone else was shooting something and it almost seemed to me that I needed to shoot something so I could be like everyone else. It was like I wasn't as good of a hunter if I wasn't in the harvest catagory.
I learned from that mistake one year when I harvested a "nice" Pope and Young deer, only to have a Booner on the same farm a couple of weeks later. It was after that year I knew I needed to develop more patience. Well a few years later I continue to grow my patience and have the best year I ever had hunting. I since have noticed that I don't have to shoot any deer just to be in the loop and also have just as much fun shooting a bunch of does. Although nothing compares to walking up and finding those great bucks we all drool over, the taxidermy bills can sure mount up if you mount each deer or two you take every year. I don't know about your feelings toward harvesting bucks, do you think they deserve to be put on the wall if they are shot, or just throw them in the back corner of the garage with the rest for conversation sometime when the boys come over.
One particular hunter I read about put in for a draw for at least 9 years before he was given his opportunity. Now that's what I consider patience, and he was fortunate enough to have the succesfull hunt he had waited for, passing on many bulls just to get one he had set his goals for.
Then there was another hunter that waited over 5 days in order to get the shot on a bull he had spotted upon arriving around his hunting area and was busy scouting.
I only put in for drawing in 1 state for hunts. It seems that every other year we do get drawn. Even if it went to four or five years it wouldn't bother me to wait it out. I don't see myself being more privledged and need to get drawn more often than other people that have also applied. I've had my chance, now it's time for others until my time comes around again.
When I sit now, I let alot of 140-150 inch deer go by with just being admired. I am fortunate enough to have one of this caliber on the wall, and am patient enough to see what he could develope into for me in the future, or make a pretty awesum deer for someone else that doesn't have one. I will pursue that caliber if it has a certain trait, droptine, non typ freak, etc to seperate it from what I have already taken.
Anyways enough of my rambling, lets read about where some of you others are and where you would like to go.
REMEMBER- EVERYONE HAS DIFFERENT GOALS-THE SUCCESS OF THE HUNT IS IN THE EYES OF THE HUNTER

I agree completely. If I have a nice but walk by that I have to try and convince myself that he's mature enough to harvest he's probably not so he gets a pass. Just knowing that I could've harvested him is satifying enough plus I still have the buck tag which means I can do it all over again. Shoot them with the camera instead.

[ QUOTE ]
If I have a nice but walk by that I have to try and convince myself that he's mature

[/ QUOTE ]

That aint right

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I have a nice but walk by that I have to try and convince myself that he's mature

[/ QUOTE ]

That aint right

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I had too many beers last night and killed more brain cells than I thought. Thanks a lot for the catch not sure what I was thinking.
confused.gif

Top Bottom