Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HSB 163- Eliminate bottle deposit (Not deer related, but important)

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
Again, special interest are at the root of this. Guess who wants this the most? Hyvee of course. No one can make the argument that eliminating deposit is a "good idea" other than those trying to enhance their bottom line.

I have a view/vision of rural Iowa as a pristine beautiful landscape.

This bill passes? Cans all over road, more so than they are now. Landfills start getting the majority of cans and bottles. Where's the conservation in that?!

How about INCREASING the bottle deposit and expanding it to all containers?! Say it went to $.25 each. I bet the number of bottles thrown away gets reduced 95%.

Think that's too radical? Food for thought. Michigan passed their bottle deposit of $.10 in 1978. In today's dollars that is $.37. I very rarely saw cans/bottles laying anywhere growing up.

I wonder if it were raised would more independent redemption centers open? I hate taking cans into stores.

The ditches and public areas may look bad now, but I'm one of those who is old enough to remember what it all looked like before deposits. :eek: Raise it to a dime (or more) rather than get rid of it. I hate taking them back too, but it's easy enough to drop bottles & cans in a trailer at a Fareway store to support the Boy Scouts. Certainly should be able to keep the cost high enough that somebody will recycle them rather than fill the ditches and public picnic areas with them!!! If HyVee is behind dropping the deposit, I'll buy my my soda, beer & liquor somewhere (anywhere) else!!! And I'll tell them so!

That used to be my part time job from 6-10 years old in MI- can pick up!!
Here in Iowa- I would have to work twice as hard but there's still takers! Based on folks I see collecting cans- this would be a job killer to all the folks who pick up cans for a living too! I retired from cans at about 10 but for some, looks like lifetime career unless something like this goes through. Wonder if they have unemployment benefits if this law is passed?
Kidding. Ok- ya, I'm generally "always" on the side of CONSERVATION so yep- hope they don't remove it.
Side note- I know it's minor and most my friends enjoy beverages but I do get pretty tired of cruising past 20 beer cans in a 5 mile gravel road ride as it already is now.

Like most I hate taking cans back but I'm to tight not too. It's supposed to be my kids job but they never seem to make it back to the store until I get tired of looking at them in my garage and take back 12 bucks worth. Here in Davenport it wouldn't be that big a deal as they would go into the recycling can but i hate to think what the river and country side would look like.

Top Bottom