Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I like this proposed law!.....

R

Rembrandt

Missouri Bill Would Set Poaching Fines According To B&C Scale

A bill being sponsored by Missouri Republican Rep. Roy Holand, would increase poaching fines for anyone found guilty of illegally killing an antlered deer to include a payment to the Missouri Conservation Commission ranging from $1,500 to $7,500 per violation.

Under the terms of the bill, a guilty conviction would carry the current penalties for committing a Class A misdemeanor in violation of the state's wildlife codes plus require the defendant to pay the state for the value of the animal.

The worth of the animal would be calculated by using the certified Boone and Crockett Club scoring system.

If the bill passes both houses of the legislature and is signed into law by the governor, an individual convicted of illegally killing an antlered white-tailed deer in Missouri would be required to pay for the cost of the animal as follows:

B&C score of 100-125 points: $1,500

B&C score of 125-150 points: $3,000

B&C score of 150-175 points: $5,000

B&C score of 175 or more points: $7,500
The money raised by the fines would go to the Missouri Conservation Commission and be used for a grant program to promote anti-poaching regulations.

For more information, visit www.house.state.mo.us/bills03/bills/hb226.htm.

Great idea!
Just curious, does this include killing deer while trespassing? I assume it does. Wow that would change some things as far as trespassing goes. I am not sure but I believe Illinios has a trespass fine of $1500, that also would be very effective. Rembrandt, are you proposing Iowa should look at some of these ideas as well? I hope so!

This may not be the total answer, although it goes after the poachers who are interested in racks....does nothing for those taking doe's or spikes illegally. Other statutes probably cover those cases....wouldn't hurt my feelings if they doubled the amounts. It's a step in the right direction....

P.S. I hope it's based on "Gross Score" and not the net.

I think it's a great idea. I'm sure there are fine increases proposed for does and bucks under 100 inches. I'll be talking to my State Rep. in a couple of weeks and give my support.

The looser that shoots one that is 175 1/8 pays an extra $2500 dollars for that 1/8". Sounds good to me Missouri. If your a poacher and you only have $1500 dollars, you better have a damn good scorer riding along with you.
kaboom_spawn.gif

I think that would be a great law too, I also think they should have the fine for any deer be $7500. Just think that 100-125 incher that is running through you woods may be a 175+ in two or three years. This would also make the guys shooting those little bucks or even a doe think twice before pulling the trigger. A $7500 doe is pretty pricey.

I don't think you can put a price on deer. Is a lesser buck worth less just becasue it hasn't reached it's potential yet. I think it should be about $5000 dollars no matter if it's a doe or a b&c buck. Poaching is poaching in my book. Take everything they've got if they're caught!

Personally I think these prices should be at least double. Think about the price of a guided hunt where the animals are B&C quality. You're talking upwards of $7000 bucks already. Then you have some poacher take one of those deer off that ground and gets fined $7500. Seems to me most poachers would probably take the risk of getting caught than to pay for the hunt. You put the fines upwards of $20,000 and loss of hunting rights and that will stop poaching.

They should waive the traditional 60-day drying period . . . wouldn't want one to shrink into the next lower category !!

I think its the same as steeling and should be treated the way they treat people in India, cut there hands off or
rambo.gif

I'll go for anything that will help stop poachers. Lets start with the weapon, the mode of transportation, any and all equipment that is present, and then top it off with a very strong fine and equal amount of community service working for the replacement of animal taken.[hour for every dollar of fine]

While we're on the subject. What does it cost a poacher in Iowa. Do they have a similar law to the one Missouri has proposed?

Let's make it simple...make provisions that any vehicle (truck, car, ATV, snowmobile) and weapons will be confiscated in addition to a hefty fine. And now all we need are judges who will enforce the laws on the record books and stop treating poachers and tresspassers like good ole boys out for an evening of entertainment.

Rack,
Dont know the details of the law but a taxidermist friend of mine knows two guys from south of here who were caught in Van Buren county with a buck and all they had were doe tags.
Cost them $4200 each. However, they will still be allowed to participate in the drawing for 2003 and wont lose their pref points. ?????

Top Bottom