Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I need some grass carp in SE Iowa

If there is a local Orscheln's nearby I believe they will have posters in their stores here pretty soon to sign up for their annual fish sale. (I am pretty sure Orschlen's stores participate in this, but not 100% sure.)

I did buy some fish through the same type of arrangement a few years ago through Troublesome Creek Outfitters in Keosauqua, but that might be too far for you to transport them and keep them alive. Basically, you sign up for what you want and then they have pre-set days where they deliver the fish to the pick up location and you have to meet the truck and then transport them back to your site. So you will need a way of keeping them alive while you transport them.

Thanks guys, it was heartbreaking to walk up to the pond on Saturday with poles in hand.. Just to see all those dead fish. Never got a bite so I'm assuming the bass, crappie, catfish are dead on the bottom:mad:

. So you will need a way of keeping them alive while you transport them.

When we got fish 2 yrs ago, we met the state fish guy at the intersection of hwy 1 & 2, by the old Lamplighter gas station. He told us to bring barrels filled with water from our pond.. worked great for us, but we r only a few mi from there..

Last edited:
Thanks guys, it was heartbreaking to walk up to the pond on Saturday with poles in hand.. Just to see all those dead fish. Never got a bite so I'm assuming the bass, crappie, catfish are dead on the bottom:mad:

Don't bet on the rest being dead. When my home pond winterkilled a few years back they ALL floated up at ice out. What a mess! Since then I installed an aerator system. Hopefully that won't happen again. If all your floaters were grass carp, I'll bet most of the rest are still OK. Water's probably too cold for much action yet. Randy Beemer from Bedford, IA www.beemerfisheries.com/ will ship you fish, including grass carp, at a reasonable price.

When we got fish 2 yrs ago, we met the state fish guy at the intersection of hwy 1 & 2, by the old Lamplighter gas station. He told us to bring barrels filled with water from our pond.. worked great for us, but we r only a few mi from there..

FYI, when I got my fish at Keosauqua a few years ago, I then had to hot foot it back to my place, which is about a 30 minute trip. I had a few floaters by the time I got back there, but it was my fault for not being properly set up. Had I had more water and/or more/better aeration I am sure I would have been fine. Just another episode in a long line of my semi-botched up habitat projects! :D

So if you have to travel a ways, you really need to consider how you are going to keep them alive.

FYI, when I got my fish at Keosauqua a few years ago, I then had to hot foot it back to my place, which is about a 30 minute trip. I had a few floaters by the time I got back there, but it was my fault for not being properly set up. Had I had more water and/or more/better aeration I am sure I would have been fine. Just another episode in a long line of my semi-botched up habitat projects! :D So if you have to travel a ways, you really need to consider how you are going to keep them alive.

I've been transplanting walleyes and smallies from a local lake to our private pit. I use a 150 qt cooler and power bubbles by marine products. I use it for my live well as well. I've had as many as 6 walleyes in there for about 2.5 hours and they come out hotter than when they go in.

Don't bet on the rest being dead. When my home pond winterkilled a few years back they ALL floated up at ice out. What a mess! Since then I installed an aerator system. Hopefully that won't happen again. If all your floaters were grass carp, I'll bet most of the rest are still OK. Water's probably too cold for much action yet. Randy Beemer from Bedford, IA www.beemerfisheries.com/ will ship you fish, including grass carp, at a reasonable price.

Shipped to your door. easy

Maybe it was just my sole experience but I tried ordering from Beemer twice. Both times he was busy and was told he would call back later and semed like I was a nuisance for wanting 20 grass carp. Called Kloubec and had the fish the next day with friendly service.

http://www.kloubecfisheries.com/

Top Bottom