Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Impacts on rack growth...

Yep - land o lakes / Purina beef mineral or kent 365. Always get one with 8%+ phosphorus. All of them with that have quality levels of calcium, vitamins, etc. July start mixing in granulated garlic & sulfur & top dress with molasses.
81d06ba026bd6554a1b0bca0e7c08b45.jpg
Thanks for the info.
What is the thought behind the garlic and sulfur and why wait to July?

I wish there was a way of dispensing mineral where at the end of August you could pack it up and take it out completely. With an 80 or less, it's hard to sell the DNR that your property isn't baited. Any ideas?

I suppose you could have a typical mineral station and hot wire it off during hunting season. That probably wouldn't qualify in the eyes of the DNR :D

Tarp or tin panel off shed. Lot of ideas like that. I’ve taken tractor loader & cleaned em up in 3 minutes. But I don’t have em by my stands and stuff so above is plenty easy and simple. Or i wonder if some type of tub might work? It sucks there’s even a drop of “debate on bait” for mineral - as I think pretty much everyone knows u ain’t putting mineral out to shoot deer. But I get it. And ya, sorry- I’m just not remotely influenced or convinced, based on science & evidence, it will do anything to stop cwd or have any impact on it. Aside from cure- it’s gonna do its thing regardless. But I won’t go too far into that can of worms. ;). I see farms absolutely bombed devastated from ehd & see it happen every 3-4 years on some farms. that’s the real death & devastation I’ve seen on large scale massacre on way too many farms way too many times now.

ya- garlic & sulfur pry be good anytime really. I waited for midges but spose not a bad thing to do early.

Tarp or tin panel off shed. Lot of ideas like that. I’ve taken tractor loader & cleaned em up in 3 minutes. But I don’t have em by my stands and stuff so above is plenty easy and simple. Or i wonder if some type of tub might work? It sucks there’s even a drop of “debate on bait” for mineral - as I think pretty much everyone knows u ain’t putting mineral out to shoot deer. But I get it. And ya, sorry- I’m just not remotely influenced or convinced, based on science & evidence, it will do anything to stop cwd or have any impact on it. Aside from cure- it’s gonna do its thing regardless. But I won’t go too far into that can of worms. ;). I see farms absolutely bombed devastated from ehd & see it happen every 3-4 years on some farms. that’s the real death & devastation I’ve seen on large scale massacre on way too many farms way too many times now.

ya- garlic & sulfur pry be good anytime really. I waited for midges but spose not a bad thing to do early.
Did u guys happen to read the blog on Winkes site about the 15 fawns found paralyzed in Massachusetts? In the article livestock and poultry minerals/supplements are said to be bad for the health of deer. Not saying that I believe that at all but thought it was interesting timing w the references to cattle mineral products in this thread. Check it out, be curious to hear your thoughts on it.

Last edited:
Looks like a stab in the dark to me.[/QUOTE

Kinda what I thought too. Seemed random but thought it was interesting that they specifically pointed out cattle mineral. I’ve never heard anyone say that it could be harmful to deer before. Shouldn’t be any different than any other “buck on a bag” mineral product I wouldn’t think (other than far less salt)

Call me skeptical. I would think deer have been eating cattle mineral for as long as cattle farmers have been giving their cattle mineral in pastures. The deer don't know the mineral is for the cattle and not them.

Top Bottom