Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Interesting theory: Late antler shedding = smaller antlers

Interesting article and that does make some sense to a certain degree. Not sure what the winter was like in 2001 but seeing a set of sheds the farmer found from a buck I harvested that year that was found during a soybean harvest the beginning of November threw me for a loop. That field was planted May 2nd and the sheds were not there when he planted beans, it was hard to comprehend. Those sheds scored 83 & 86 inches yet he still grew over 200 inches of antler that year, which does not include an estimated 12 to 14 inches of tines that were broke off! Amazing animals the good lord provided us. We will never know all the secrets to a whitetail, especially when it comes to the rut and to antler growth from year to year. Thanks for sharing....

I've pondered this before as I have witnessed bucks still carrying in April while other bucks already have noticeable growth.

makes sense. never thought of this before. if this is true, I wonder if this is a permanent setback or if they make up for the antler growth the following year. Im sure drought has some effect in Iowa, but in general food is plentiful here regardless of the drought. Drought definitely has an effect in arid non-agricultural areas.

Very interesting. Makes sense that a less stressful winter can be trumped by dry conditions. Read something the other day that a deer will eat 8 lbs of vegetation a day per each 100 lbs of body weight. A drought could significantly affect their feeding habits, carrying capacity of the land and stress of the herd with that in mind.

I’m actually hoping for a miracle at this point where we actually have some snow and cold before Jan 11. I’d love to be walking out in a foot of snow & 15 degrees out.

Top Bottom