Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Bowhunters Association

Monsterbuck

I find it interesting that a forum like this filled with hard core Iowa deer hunters and it seems the membership in the Iowa Bowhunters Association is very low and attendance of the spring banquet is extremely low.

I seriously have concerns about the future of the IBA. Seems like the membership just keeps getting older and older without much new blood. Not for lack of bowhunters either as there are lots of young guys out there bowhunting but they are not being attracted to join the IBA which is unfortunate because I think the IBA does a lot of good for our sport.

The annual spring banquet is another example. A decade ago those banquet rooms were packed. Over the past few years attendance has shrunk. They announced going to a smaller facility this year due to low numbers.

I'm not even sure I will be going this year. I generally round up a few people to go every year but this year I haven't found any takers. They just need to breathe new life into the banquet. People find it boring.

My question to the members here, whether you have never been or are no longer an IBA member, is what would encourage you to join and get involved in the IBA?

There is a disconnect in general between young and old hunters. I'm personally turned off by a lot of old school mentality that tends to exist in organizations such as IBA. Times change and its that lack of forward thinking that bothers me. It seems these organizations are more inline with B&C/P&Y mentality of thought. I believe those organizations are also outdated and need to take a serious look at what their mission truly is. There also tends to be an elitist feel or people are looked down upon.

For example the Indiana IBA is more worried about high fenced hunting and CWD than anything else. Those are irrelevant battles IMO and more important issues exist such as season dates, bag limits, weapons, stronger enforcement policies and penalties for poaching, overall herd management, etc.

Have been a member for 28 years and have attended many spring banquets.By doing this doesn't make me better than the next guy this is where my heart is. By joining the IBA and P&Y help protect us from the bad guys that want to hurt what I love to do and many of you. That is the benefit.

Have been a member for 28 years and have attended many spring banquets.By doing this doesn't make me better than the next guy this is where my heart is. By joining the IBA and P&Y help protect us from the bad guys that want to hurt what I love to do and many of you. That is the benefit.

This is spot on why every bowhunter in Iowa should be a member. The NRA has millions of members and what benefit do those members get???? It's the benefit of knowing someone is fighting for our gun rights.

Same thing goes for the IBA. The benefit a member gets is knowing that the IBA is fighting to keep limit non resident hunting, keeping crossbows out of the archery season, education for youth hunters, and many other important topics.

I would encourage anyone that feels the board needs a youthful injection to please contact a board member, fill out a board application, and be an advocate for bow hunting.

Just to clarify my views are based on the Indiana chapter and not Iowa.

I understand, but I do believe you are not alone.

Some other benefits, the IBA provides are to our youth bowhunters. The IBA sponsors Ted Nugent Kamp for Kids and NASP. NASP is growing tremendously, especially in southern IA. NASP shoots fill up quickly. There is a huge opportunity to reach the youth and educate them about archery and the outdoors through these two great organizations.

So if you have a child, or are just a concerned citizen regarding the youth of America, the IBA is a major supporter of the youth in Iowa.

Bottom line, the IBA is trying to protect and defend the sport of bowhunting in the state now and into the future. However, it does take support to continue this fight....the more members, the more memberships, the more spring banquet tickets, the more 3D shooters, etc that the IBA can get, means the more influence we can have in our legislature.....means the more youth events the IBA can support.

I am passionate about bowhunting, but I'm more passionate about defending and protecting this great sport for all of us today, and for my kids in the future!

Join the IBA today and come to the spring banquet. Only your support and feedback can make the IBA better.

Most of the times when I have checked into different groups it seams like it is the same old group of guys, if you are not friends with one of them you just get a feel like your an outsider.
I think they need to engage new members more and try to keep them interested.

It seems the biggest interest on this site it starting to be land stewardship, trail cams, that type of arena.
When you plan something you need to engage everyone with each other, and have another event planned in advance that can be signed up for that day.
My kids are finally getting old enough I could make time to do something like this if it tripped my trigger.
But keep in mind you are competing against lots of other things I need to do with my time.

Bowdude

I think it is simply the old boys aren't very inviting to the young crowd. I have been a member for about 7 years and I can only speak from what I have seen at the Fall Festival. I am not sure if it is the Pine Lake archers or the IBA guys, but i feel like they have their tight little group and are very standoffish towards the new or younger crowd.

Your IBA board is only acting upon what our members tell us to do and what is best for bowhunting now and in the future for the state of Iowa. The amount of money we spend on Youth scholarships, kids camps, NASP and such things takes up a giant portion of our total budget. We would like to spend more to help more of these groups but we are limited by declining membership and lack of participation. If people don't join the IBA, attend IBA shoots or come to our fundraising banquet we will not be able to continue to do what we do.

Whether you have a positive idea to make the IBA better or a negative complaint about current happenings, Bring it to an IBA board member and it will be presented and discussed, guaranteed. The only way the IBA can get better and grow is with all of your help.

We are working hard on bettering everything we do.
-Spring Banquet is currently being revamped and relocated in following years due to input from members.
- New speaker ideas for the banquet are in the works and we have some real doozies we are working on.
- The IBA Shootout 3d series is being revamped due to popular demand.
- NASP State 3D shootout is in the works sponsored by IBA.
- Website rebuild is being researched along with bettering our exposure on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media outlets as that is the current best way to communicate with our younger supporters.
- Anything else you would like to see?

Another giant chunk of our budget is spent on Lobbying to protect bowhunting in Iowa not only in the present but in the future. I have small children that I would love to see bowhunt when they grow up and I can safely say that without the IBA, those opportunities would disappear. Do you want your kids or grandkids to be able to hunt in Iowa with a bow? Join the IBA and participate.

If you want to guarantee the failure of bowhunting in Iowa, the best way to do that is to watch from the sidelines, complain about everything and ask "whats in it for me?'
Want to help guarantee the future of bowhunting in Iowa? Join the IBA and PARTICIPATE - help us double our membership and quadruple our chances for a awesome future.

Last edited:
I am a member of the IBA but have never had time to attend events. It is something i would like to do in the future but I generally save up my days away from the family for treestand time. I will however continue to be a member of the IBA because it is important that they continue to lobby for the sport i love.

I think I can safely say I am the youngest IBA board member (30 years old). I can also safely say that it is not a "old boys club". What I can say is that in the short time I have been on the board (six months) my ideas have been welcomed, supported, and put into action.

If you have ideas, questions, or concerns please feel free to send me a private message and I will gladly take every idea to the rest of the board.

The past few years have been critical to the success of bowhunting in Iowa with EHD. The IBA has lobbied to eliminate the late rifle season and reduce the number of antlerless bow tags throughout the state to ensure Iowa remains the best whitetail state in the country.

I am a member of the IBA but have never had time to attend events. It is something i would like to do in the future but I generally save up my days away from the family for treestand time. I will however continue to be a member of the IBA because it is important that they continue to lobby for the sport i love.

No better way to support Iowa Bowhunting and spending time with your family than attending the IBA Spring Banquet. It's one Saturday evening a year. Great food to eat and great people to connect with!

Boyd, I think the website update and social media venues would be a great investment. But they are only as good as the content and how current the updates are. A few months ago I went to the website to see when the banquet was and couldn't find anything current I did find information for last years. I then assumed it was the same weekend as the Deer Classic and ended up scheduling something else instead regretfully.. I know I could of contacted you, etc. but this is just an example of the benefits. I would also prefer the newsletter in an electronic format but that's just me paper and I don't get along. No matter what I will be a life long memory and will support the IBA anyway I can.

I have sent in money twice to the IBA but after I have done that I have not heard anything. No newsletters, email updates etc or letters saying I need to renew. I did not see a benefit outside of just sending money and not hearing anything. I would like to support the IBA but it would be cool to at least get an email update on newsletters or something along those lines to see what is going on. As far as attending events it is simply a time issue. Tough to get away with little kids.

I've meant to join the IBOA in the past, even printed out the form a time or two, just never got around to doing it for whatever reason. Anyway, a bunch of hunting magazine renewals came in the mail yesterday and I told my wife to pitch them. Tired of reading the same regurgitated crap and adds. That money will better be spent on a IBA membership. Not sure what events I'll be able to attend and I'm not the most social guy but they support my views and are a united voice all Iowa bowhunters should get behind in my opinion.

Top Bottom