Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Crush Cam

I really don't want to get into this debate but CRP is for one not solely for wildlife. The tax payers ALL get benefits out of these programs albeit maybe not what some on this thread would like. Clean water, wildlife (other than deer) habitat like for monarchs, etc., affordable food and the list goes on. Contrary to some people's beliefs NONE of these programs have intent to improve the owner's hunting. True welfare programs benefit ONE individual, the recipient (for the most part). I know for one that I pay WAY more in taxes than I receive back in CRP payment. Ask that to the person in the section 8 housing.

I commend you for taking youth out. It's one of the most rewarding experiences I've personally had within deer hunting.

Since you claim it as your 'deer farm', what are the chances these youth are able to replicate the same type of success in the real world, when they are no longer selectively invited onto your privately managed property? Sure, you're providing these youth with an exciting experience on your 'deer farm', but not a realistic one that they can replicate on their own. To say they're 'hooked now' is a bit premature, I'd say. How quickly have you seen excited youth and young adults lose passion in something as soon as reality sets in? Providing an exciting experience to youth on privately 'farmed' property does not equate to the creation of lifelong hunters. In-fact, it could do the exact opposite and actually turn them off once they try hunting on their own in the real world. They'll always remember the exciting experience they had with you at your place though. So, kudos to you.
Their chances are exactly these same as mine are. Just takes the time commitment to improve the property, some monetary commitment to buy seed, fuel, etc. The discipline and patience to allow the deer to mature. And most importantly, like minded folks working/cost sharing/hunting the same property who have common goals. Pretty simple formula.
If they are not willing to do that, then they will not see the same results. The youth I have taken know it is a special place that did not just create itself. Spending time there lets them see what hard work can create.
Plenty of other things besides deer to hunt to get them hooked also.

Top Bottom